Best raking tractor.

exSW

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like running the v rake with either the 400 or 560D. When i had a 3 point mounted v rake it was kinda nice raking with the 826.  Have a new idea 5 bar rake for back up but its at fils. Usually ends up behind his super h.

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

544 narrow front .

I liked using my 300 narrow front too.

706 narrow front is nice to use too.

I like my narrow fronts especially for raking.

I liked my wide front 560 better than my narrow front 706. 560 was handier,more nimble.

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

What rake are we using?  

I shoulda said five bar rolobar/basket rake.

16 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Bar rake give me a 530 with float ride seat and roll a matic narrow front.................300 in second.

When I was at Eastern Expo a few years back there was a 430 row crop in the sale corral. I thought that would have made a good rake tractor. 

image.thumb.jpg.8050352336f0022c783805a3bd0c4ffb.jpg

No big modern equipment here either.  But the hay is heavy and it needs to be dry going into our dummy blocks  (that we've  been selling to horse people in Florida all winter). You can only put up so big a row, so 12' gyro rakes fit nice behind the fords and they will run all day on 10-12g of fuel.  That 6600 didn't like the newer 6spool tedder, so it has its own rake now and the 856 runs that tedder.  The 856 does 20 acres about 20% faster....but burns 33% more fuel doing it. 

image.thumb.jpg.f0961e1e5f20911f32337a58cbfbba85.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.81652d20cdf3136f3d70dc6d424ebf4a.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.93ad28d9cecd05d78ab228b2c30cadc2.jpgWith the radio on, I heard that deer shed go "ting" and I found it.  Imo, if I had a newer tractor with a nice cab, I wouldn't have heard it and that shed would have been stuck in a new rear tire as soon as the balers started going around the field.  We've had two of those fords for close to 40 years. That's orginal old paint on all but that last one there that had been in a fire when we got it, 4o yearscago. I'd buy another today, if I find one that's clean and straight. Unfortunately, that's hard to do. 

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

What rake are we using?  

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

Very good point!

1066 hydro, twin rotor Claas rotary rake but I will want a merger instead

We’ve only had 3 rakes on our farm.  The first is the IH horse drawn dump rake.  Then a MH bar rake from the 50s.  Both still sitting in the fence row.  Today we use the green version of the Vermeer twin bar rake pulled with a JD 5100E.

For the longest time I used the 560 to pull an h&s wheel rake but when I got a vermeer twin basket rake I moved up to a 706. This year I decided I'm going to use the 5488. Even going over 1000 acres of hay ground the difference in fuel will only be about $150. That's worth it for me or who ever is raking for me to have a quiet cab and a radio.

45 minutes ago, exSW said:

When I was at Eastern Expo a few years back there was a 430 row crop in the sale corral. I thought that would have made a good rake tractor. 

Those vertical 2 cylinders are nothing but an annoyance..................nothing smaller than a B/50/520/530 for me. My brother had a few of them elf machines here, and have buddies with 3/430's.  

image.jpeg.5df20e105fc0ace4a63243153b098aed.jpeg

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

image.thumb.jpg.8050352336f0022c783805a3bd0c4ffb.jpg

No big modern equipment here either.  But the hay is heavy and it needs to be dry going into our dummy blocks  (that we've  been selling to horse people in Florida all winter). You can only put up so big a row, so 12' gyro rakes fit nice behind the fords and they will run all day on 10-12g of fuel.  That 6600 didn't like the newer 6spool tedder, so it has its own rake now and the 856 runs that tedder.  The 856 does 20 acres about 20% faster....but burns 33% more fuel doing it. 

Those Fords are nice little tractors, always liked them

18 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Those vertical 2 cylinders are nothing but an annoyance..................

I’m just curious why?? They are some of the few 2 cylinders made with a “real” clutch.  The 420/30 were a better product then what IH had at the time.

Archived