Jump to content

1967 706 3 Point Hitch Lift Height


Qdot2009

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I’ve been playing around with the new-to-me 706 and I don’t think the 3 Point Hitch arms raise as high as they should.  They move fast and quietly all throughout the lever positioning, but with the lever in the fully raised position, it only lifts my bush hog just over a foot off the ground.  There’s no struggling or anything, just seems like someone set the limits lower in the past. Is there a way to adjust?  This is fully raised:

7615E968-FA94-45E7-9B4E-D8A27E0AEF5E.thumb.jpeg.28842dd35dc61374aefffffff61bf756.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of questions for you, first question is, are the arm adjusters cranked to make the arms in the highest positions? Second question is, do the 3pt arms drop almost to the ground when you lower it all the way? The reason I ask about the arms almost touching the ground when lowered is the fact that tractor could have come with a fast hitch and someone changed it to a three point, but did not index the upper lift arms to the new position the 3pt uses. If this is so, the upper arms would have to be marked, then unbolted and removed and indexed to the new position and then bolted back on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The shaft should have two marks on it.  One is stamped with a 2 and the other a 3. Line up the mark on your arms with the 3 and you will be good. Looks in the picture like it’s not correct judging by arm angle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, 65806 said:

The shaft should have two marks on it.  One is stamped with a 2 and the other a 3. Line up the mark on your arms with the 3 and you will be good. Looks in the picture like it’s not correct judging by arm angle

↑↑↑That.

Travis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off, there are several adjustments that affect hitch height.  First off, it should start to lower when moving the  position control lever 3/8th inch.  That adjustment is internal . Then  the hitch has  to go as low as it will go when the position control lever is at the offset in the lower part of the quadrant.  A turn buckle under little cover on side is where you adjust that as necessary.  Then you raise to maximum and measure the center of pin on lifting arm to center of pin on lower link pull point.  (to grease fitting).   I don't remember exact measurement but ( hey,  grabbed my book) it is 39  3/4 inches on a three point hitch. 

Has a adjustable stop on upper quadrant.   Never want it to raise so high it bottoms internally.  Must have a inch or two more movement of hitch when lifted by hand.  So, if on correct spline it should adjust up correctly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2020 at 9:44 PM, 3588pfcred said:

That is the late one, i forgot the 706 tractors all had the large hole in the cast wheel

They could have the heavier 12 hole cast centers too.  Depends how they were ordered.   We have 2 1966 Farmall 706's.  Both have the 12 hole centers.

20180517_194015_001.jpg

20180521_203934_001.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2020 at 3:06 PM, ThirdGenRed said:

Couple of questions for you, first question is, are the arm adjusters cranked to make the arms in the highest positions? Second question is, do the 3pt arms drop almost to the ground when you lower it all the way? The reason I ask about the arms almost touching the ground when lowered is the fact that tractor could have come with a fast hitch and someone changed it to a three point, but did not index the upper lift arms to the new position the 3pt uses. If this is so, the upper arms would have to be marked, then unbolted and removed and indexed to the new position and then bolted back on.

I have a 966 that I swapped over to a 3 point from a fast hitch. My arms drag the ground when lowered and don't nearly lift high enough. What is the trick to get those arms off the splines? I tried and tried to get those things off but dang they're on there good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone - finally made it back to farm and was able to look at the 3pt on the 706.  As several of you stated, the arms were indeed lined up with the ‘2’ mark instead of the ‘3’.  Luckily, they came off pretty easily and I adjusted them to the ‘3’ mark.  Now it ‘s lifting high and all is well!  Thanks a ton for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Qdot2009 said:

Hey everyone - finally made it back to farm and was able to look at the 3pt on the 706.  As several of you stated, the arms were indeed lined up with the ‘2’ mark instead of the ‘3’.  Luckily, they came off pretty easily and I adjusted them to the ‘3’ mark.  Now it ‘s lifting high and all is well!  Thanks a ton for the help!

Was there a trick to getting them off? I swapped my 966 and my arms do not want to come off at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FarmBoy12 said:

Was there a trick to getting them off? I swapped my 966 and my arms do not want to come off at all. 

A lot of wiggling and shaking back and forth, ha.  Mine were pretty well greased, so it wasn't too hard.  You may have to take a rubber mallet to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Qdot2009 said:

A lot of wiggling and shaking back and forth, ha.  Mine were pretty well greased, so it wasn't too hard.  You may have to take a rubber mallet to them.

Gotcha. So they just slide right on the splines? There's nothing else holding them on other than that bolt and big washer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FarmBoy12 said:

Gotcha. So they just slide right on the splines? There's nothing else holding them on other than that bolt and big washer?

Yep, just remove the bolt and washer and they just slide off the splines.  Nothing else holding them intact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, 65806 said:

The shaft should have two marks on it.  One is stamped with a 2 and the other a 3. Line up the mark on your arms with the 3 and you will be good. Looks in the picture like it’s not correct judging by arm angle

I was looking at my 806D today for the marks. It had the fasthitch on before. I couldn't find any marks. Where are they exactly at?  Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to see but should be stamped into the end of the splined shaft in two places and one arrow or dot on the arm. 
clean it good with a wire wheel on a grinder if you have one. They are not stamped very deep but usually you can see them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...