Jump to content

Judge hits Diesel Brothers with $848,000 in penalties for air pollution violations


New Englander

Recommended Posts

https://www.standard.net/news/environment/judge-hits-diesel-brothers-with-in-penalties-for-air-pollution/article_e58c8bc1-5c7f-50cf-8a50-d42042387caa.html?fbclid=IwAR0OcfFN5pPa0_eH_5O6e6wNM3QKE0dNfnIf-9fZJuYo2f7AlMaRempUjDE

 

Judge hits Diesel Brothers with $848,000 in penalties for air pollution violations

  • SALT LAKE CITY — The Diesel Brothers reality TV stars must pay $848,000 for modifying, marketing and selling pickup trucks with emission control defeat devices installed, a judge has ruled.

U.S. District Judge Robert Shelby also issued a permanent injunction barring the Diesel Brothers from further violations, which he said stemmed from unlawful operations that still are economically enriching the defendants.

Those benefits continue, Shelby said in his ruling issued late Friday, “extending well beyond the profits from these prohibited activities to defendants’ status as television and social media celebrities, the reputation and notoriety of their brands, and the economic leverage they have used to accumulate assets and start new businesses.”

 

The ruling detailed about 400 violations in which the defendants bypassed systems designed to reduce emissions of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides from diesel vehicles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I have always wondered why things like this haven’t happened much much sooner. 

 

I agree, how long can you flaunt the law and even post it and your adds for the parts on National TV. 
 

In the Arctic oil fields they still have problems with diesel emissions, it is really difficult with the extreme cold, and the market is so small the manufacturers don’t worry about it. Yet the oil companies have made it policy that modified vehicles are not allowed on the field, you will lose your contract and be escorted to the door, because they are worried about it going to court and it getting into this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend of mine went into the marines right out of high school. 

He was four years older then me and ended up in Kuwait . 

He tells stories about semi trucks with tanker trailers full of diesel fuel fitted with spray booms would lead the way spraying diesel on the roads to keep dust under control. 

Now if I pour some diesel on some weeds and the wrong person see’s me do that then all He// breaks loose and it’s a Crisis. 

But Ol Uncle Sam can spray thousands of gallons out on the ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

A friend of mine went into the marines right out of high school. 

He was four years older then me and ended up in Kuwait . 

He tells stories about semi trucks with tanker trailers full of diesel fuel fitted with spray booms would lead the way spraying diesel on the roads to keep dust under control. 

Now if I pour some diesel on some weeds and the wrong person see’s me do that then all He// breaks loose and it’s a Crisis. 

But Ol Uncle Sam can spray thousands of gallons out on the ground.

In a war zone in a foreign country. The above penalty is about exhaust emissions and openly breaking the law. I doubt Kuwait has any law against spraying the dust down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I dont agree with the judge or environmentalists for that matter. However you cant tell me they didnt know this was coming. Thats probably chump change to them. 

I'm curious as to what your disagreement is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, searcyfarms said:

poof.........profits go up in smoke ?

They've made more than that just off the tv show. I'm guessing they're making plenty of profit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, New Englander said:

In a war zone in a foreign country. The above penalty is about exhaust emissions and openly breaking the law. I doubt Kuwait has any law against spraying the dust down.

So in other words it’s ok to disregard the environment in some parts of planet Earth but not in others ? 

Or if your the Government and your at war then it’s anything goes. But if I drop a mercury thermostat in someone’s house and if breaks open spilling the contents then the house has to be evacuated and a hazmat team called in. Or if a can of paint falls out the back of a  painters truck at the intersection in front of Home Depot the whole intersection has to be closed while it’s cleaned up ,

Ok Thanks for clearing that up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lorenzo said:

So in other words it’s ok to disregard the environment in some parts of planet Earth but not in others ? 

Or if your the Government and your at war then it’s anything goes. But if I drop a mercury thermostat in someone’s house and if breaks open spilling the contents then the house has to be evacuated and a hazmat team called in. Or if a can of paint falls out the back of a  painters truck at the intersection in front of Home Depot the whole intersection has to be closed while it’s cleaned up ,

Ok Thanks for clearing that up. 

Exactly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

So in other words it’s ok to disregard the environment in some parts of planet Earth but not in others ? 

Or if your the Government and your at war then it’s anything goes. But if I drop a mercury thermostat in someone’s house and if breaks open spilling the contents then the house has to be evacuated and a hazmat team called in. Or if a can of paint falls out the back of a  painters truck at the intersection in front of Home Depot the whole intersection has to be closed while it’s cleaned up ,

Ok Thanks for clearing that up. 

Neither the point of the fine nor the point of the post. When an individual makes the choice of breaking the law and disabling the emission controls on a vehicle, misguided or not, it's usually not for profit. When a company does the same it's a different story.These folks were openly and flagrantly breaking the law to line their pockets. How you managed to morph that into a complaint about pollution on a war zone is a bit of a stretch.

A can of paint cleanup isn't an environmental disaster, just a mess that shouldn't get on everyone's car.

Have you actually had a hazmat team clean up your broken thermometer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, New Englander said:

. I doubt Kuwait has any law against spraying

 

3 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Exactly what?

You are arguing a point we agree on. They broke the law and it cost them.

We are arguing the law in the first place. That's all I'm saying. Your digging for an argument about the environment, and I won't do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did they break the law? Probably. That said these emissions laws shouldnt even exist to be broken period. That said they were morons for documenting all this on tv. They probably would still be getting away with it if they woulda been more hush,hush aboot it. Im not a fan of them really. They usually just stuff a cummins in whatever they build. Some of their stuff is neat but other stuff is more pimp my ride/trick my truck inspired it seems to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

 

You are arguing a point we agree on. They broke the law and it cost them.

We are arguing the law in the first place. That's all I'm saying. Your digging for an argument about the environment, and I won't do it. 

Heck ill do it.....GLOBAL WARMING IS FAKE and all the laws attached to it are BS and draconian! Including emissions standards. They are designed to make combustion engines impossible to operate for us while Al Gore flies around in a private jet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Diesel fumes, cow farts, and burps, we are going to die!!! Covid 19, the way Facebook is going with this, we should be dead!! If we are going to fine people for deleting emissions, then we need to stop breathing, farting, and burping ourselves, we pollute with every breath we take! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Exactly what?

Exactly the laws they keep pushing are going to come to the point we're back to horses and buggies. Oh wait we won't be able to do that because the horses will be farting. Not gonna argue with you. You've got your view point and I got mine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Neither the point of the fine nor the point of the post. When an individual makes the choice of breaking the law and disabling the emission controls on a vehicle, misguided or not, it's usually not for profit. When a company does the same it's a different story.These folks were openly and flagrantly breaking the law to line their pockets. How you managed to morph that into a complaint about pollution on a war zone is a bit of a stretch.

A can of paint cleanup isn't an environmental disaster, just a mess that shouldn't get on everyone's car.

Have you actually had a hazmat team clean up your broken thermometer?

This isn’t about a war zone or a child’s play ground for that matter it’s about the environment. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!

and my point was that big brother can do what ever the he// they want to when it’s benefits them but we can’t 

That’s it OMG do I have to spell it out again ?????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

Heck ill do it.....GLOBAL WARMING IS FAKE and all the laws attached to it are BS and draconian! Including emissions standards. They are designed to make combustion engines impossible to operate for us while Al Gore flies around in a private jet!

remember the pollution and smog problem during the olympics a few years back in china?  I think alot of our diesel coal particulate regulations are our effort to keep the US from looking like Beijing.   I get it,  it stinks for a construction guy that cant bid on certain work because he cant afford a tier compliant machine.  I appreciate that pain and would be open to some sort of program to bring technology to help these types of situations.   As for what the diesel bros do with their projects,  thats just rich guys playing with toys,  that isnt a guy trying to haul cattle efficiently to market to feed his family.   

What i mean is that IF tier machines and DEF are good for the planet and the whole of the country then its the good of the country to get that technology implemented into as many peoples hands as possible so they can do their work.   Lets talk about a way to get that guy hauling his goods to market more efficiently and lets share in the cost of that because we are sharing in the benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! I post an article on a law breaking company and I get all sorts of unconnected pent-up anti-government sentiment replies!

How does the actions of the US military fighting to liberate the country of Kuwait have any connection to the actions of a company getting their wrists slapped for breaking the law and disabling emission controls for profits?

Would anyone like to drive through the spilled paint in the intersection and have to have their car cleaned or would you rather have the intersection blocked and cleaned?

Is air pollution real and do emission controls work? Well, YES. Witness LA. When flying into LA in the early '80s it was like descending into a milk bowl. Since the air conditioning system in the planes is fed by air bled off the compressor section of the engines you could smell it. After landing you could wipe the leading edges with your fingers and feel it. Now, 40 years later there are way more vehicles in the LA basin. Had there not been pollution controls on all those vehicles the air would be toxic but it's fairly clean So yes, air pollution is real and controls do work.

We still see the same thing in third world countries. Often while descending into Beijing there may not be a real cloud in the sky yet we need to do an instrument approach. India has banned the 2 stroke Tuk Tuks in an effort to clean up the air in Delhi and other cities, still not great.

So yes, while not a wide-eyed environmentalist and certainly not a liberal, I don't believe emission controls should be disabled, especially for profit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

Heck ill do it.....GLOBAL WARMING IS FAKE and all the laws attached to it are BS and draconian! Including emissions standards. They are designed to make combustion engines impossible to operate for us while Al Gore flies around in a private jet!

This is not about global warning and is it real or fake. It's about the very real air pollution and the fact that a company that was openly and flagrantly violating the law had their hand slapped for doing so. Emission controls cleaned up the LA basin. The evidence is real and tangible. The folks who live there, if you can call it living, I don't, would be suffering and dying of respiratory problems if not imposed.

I agree that we are over regulated but this is not the area where we are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...