Evansville and the M1 garand.

660 driver

Hey guys,

I was over on the CMP forum on an IH garand question thread. The author said his buddy bought an IH M1 that was never delivered to the government. It had the proof mark after initial test fire but no DAS marking. People are curious how that happened so I referred him here. In case he doesnt come here im curious how that happened as mine has a "P" but no DAS mark i can find and is 100% IHC. Did IH allow employees to buy off the line? Thanks yall!

• Like 1

I’m thinking there was an article in red power over the last couple years that takes about these. Sometimes “P” on a military rifle denotes police issue after its military service I think. My M1 carbine has a “P” on the bottom of the pistol grip portion of the stock. 

I have been interested in one of these for a few years but haven’t been able to turn loose of the money yet. Evansville is an hour from me.  They also made ammo, LST ships, and fighter planes among other things there a few years earlier during WWII. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’m thinking there was an article in red power over the last couple years that takes about these. Sometimes “P” on a military rifle denotes police issue after its military service I think. My M1 carbine has a “P” on the bottom of the pistol grip portion of the stock. 

I have been interested in one of these for a few years but haven’t been able to turn loose of the money yet. Evansville is an hour from me.  They also made ammo, LST ships, and fighter planes among other things there a few years earlier during WWII. 

Thanks todd! They made torpedos too. According to the guys over on the CMP forum the "p" denotes that it was test fired at the factory and deemed acceptable to be turned over to the DAS.

18 minutes ago, 660 driver said:

Thanks todd! They made torpedos too. According to the guys over on the CMP forum the "p" denotes that it was test fired at the factory and deemed acceptable to be turned over to the DAS.

They are probably correct. I’m just going off something I was told and that could have been wrong ?. I’ve got an un-opened box of .45’s made in Evansville during WWII. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

They are probably correct. I’m just going off something I was told and that could have been wrong ?. I’ve got an un-opened box of .45’s made in Evansville during WWII. 

Nice! They say the rifles didnt recieve the DAS cartouche until it was accepted into service. Mine doesnt have the DAS cartouche but the "P" on the pistol grip.

18 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I can check with my FIL and see if he has any knowledge or books on them. He is more into German Guns than US when it comes to war time.  

Ya i kinda fell into collecting jap rifles from ww2. Grandpa gave me a last ditch trype 99 sporter with intact but lightly defaced mum. Then i bought a type 38 numbers matching with intact undefaced mum,no import marks,dust cover,and cleaning rod. They are both original calibers. Aaand of course i have the token mosin 91/30 built in 1943,numbers matching(not force matched) with import marks. Its actually an accurate shooter too. Of course grandpas 99 and my M1 are the crown jewels of the collection. Im always looking for deals in mausers,'03 springfields,enfields,and swiss straight pull rifles.

1 hour ago, 660 driver said:

Ya i kinda fell into collecting jap rifles from ww2. Grandpa gave me a last ditch trype 99 sporter with intact but lightly defaced mum. Then i bought a type 38 numbers matching with intact undefaced mum,no import marks,dust cover,and cleaning rod. They are both original calibers. Aaand of course i have the token mosin 91/30 built in 1943,numbers matching(not force matched) with import marks. Its actually an accurate shooter too. Of course grandpas 99 and my M1 are the crown jewels of the collection. Im always looking for deals in mausers,'03 springfields,enfields,and swiss straight pull rifles.

The FIL is into almost all military. Lots of Mausers including sniper variants and a G43,  most of the Japanese WWII variants, handguns, helmets, uniforms, etc...  He has a lot of US stuff also but more German than anything. 

3 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I shot up some .45's that dad brought back from WWII, a few years ago.

About 1/3 of them were duds!!! Some just took a count of 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, before they went off!  :o

You tend to hold that 45 for quite a while before you pump another round into the chamber...

Mike

14 minutes ago, mikem said:

I shot up some .45's that dad brought back from WWII, a few years ago.

About 1/3 of them were duds!!! Some just took a count of 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, before they went off!  :o

You tend to hold that 45 for quite a while before you pump another round into the chamber...

Mike

.45’s from WWII had corrosive powder. You don’t want to shoot any without a good soap and water wash down of the barrel immediately afterwards. 

The “E.C.” Stands for Evansville Chrysler which is the plant they made the ammunition in. 

F8F84877-F677-4DEC-8740-6E259F27BC3B.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

.45’s from WWII had corrosive powder. You don’t want to shoot any without a good soap and water wash down of the barrel immediately afterwards. 

The “E.C.” Stands for Evansville Chrysler which is the plant they made the ammunition in. 

Mmmmmmmmhm, interesting, try'n to recall what we shot while qualifying with the 30 cal. and the .45s back when I went to USAF Basic and later when I was was in Aviation Cadets, mid fifties.

best, randy

34 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Mmmmmmmmhm, interesting, try'n to recall what we shot while qualifying with the 30 cal. and the .45s back when I went to USAF Basic and later when I was was in Aviation Cadets, mid fifties.

best, randy

A lot of the .30cal ammo from the mid-late 50’s was stamped “LC” for Lake City. 

• Like 2

I like milsurp ammo finds but i dont like what they do to my precious historical firesticks!