Sign in to follow this  
88seriesrestorer

1979 Ford crewcab truck

4 hours ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

It was converted to 4x4 if it was a f350.  They never put the big 460 in a 4x4.  2wd had the 460.  4x4s biggest engine was the 400

It's possible special orders were made, I now have a 79, f150, 4x4, "460" auto tranny in my drive. It's all original. Also had a 76 250 crew cab 4x4, short box. Most of those I was told they used 1 ton frames for the extra length. It also had the 60 front

I will check the VIN on the 150, as I too could be wrong on it being factory. Just going off what I was told  All documentation says they were not factory installed in 4x4s

16 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

76 ...says a bit rusty but savable, interior is almost all.gone though.  He also has a 71

imagejpeg_0(6).jpg

How hard is it to convert a Ford 2wd to 4wd? I know on Dodges of that era it's dirt simple.

1 hour ago, exSW said:

How hard is it to convert a Ford 2wd to 4wd? I know on Dodges of that era it's dirt simple.

Its not real easy.  Gotta have a donor.  Some people say they are putting 06 superduty front ends on.  

I want to throw a BIG thank you to Brent1086.  He has the truck I've been lookin for.  Thanks to all of the rest of you guys to.   I'd still be interested at looking at what ever else you guys find out there in the 78 and 79 crew cabs 

Thanks Mike

Jr is working on his, just put new tires on it. 460 auto 4x4, but has rust above drip rail on pass side. Hes got another cab that he wants to swap onto a late 80s crew cab frame and put a 7.3L IDI in it

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

I really dont know why these trucks were so bad to rust at the drip rails.  If they were treated on back side or sealed properly?

8 minutes ago, 1958560 said:

Jr is working on his, just put new tires on it. 460 auto 4x4, but has rust above drip rail on pass side. Hes got another cab that he wants to swap onto a late 80s crew cab frame and put a 7.3L IDI in it

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

Need a donor motor????? 🤔😁

16 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

I really dont know why these trucks were so bad to rust at the drip rails.  If they were treated on back side or sealed properly?

I think water and other stuff laid in there. Impeded flow. Dodges had the same problem.

43 minutes ago, Littlefeller said:

Need a donor motor????? 🤔😁

He built a idit that pulled 300hp, 600 ft/lbs torque at the wheels at 35 lbs boost with water/methanol injection. Cam was ground 8 degrees retarded, tq was way up high, 50 rpm down from peak hp. After that was corrected he never dynoed it again but said it ran much better on low end, he says the set up should be 300/700 with cam corrected. It spun a rod bearing with a little over 20k miles he thinks from being out of balance, he has it on the stand for rebuild. But he is always looking for parts, I believe he is looking for a set of idi turbo rods and pistons now.

Great looking trucks, I have a 79 door long bed 2wd F350. In the plans to 4x4 convert it. Have a single cab, super cab and 4 door 79 fords. Love that body style.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:28 AM, 88seriesrestorer said:

Thats the super camper special only came in a reg. Cab 

incorrect.  the 140 inch wheel base came on all 2wd regular cab 350 trucks.  the super camper special was a separate package as well as the camper special.  the scs package was dead in 1976.  from 1973-1979 this is how all regular cab 350 trucks came.  and the trucks could have been had without either package. 

5 hours ago, junkman78 said:

incorrect.  the 140 inch wheel base came on all 2wd regular cab 350 trucks.  the super camper special was a separate package as well as the camper special.  the scs package was dead in 1976.  from 1973-1979 this is how all regular cab 350 trucks came.  and the trucks could have been had without either package. 

thats what i was saying.  the super camper special ended in 76 yes.  they are the ones that had the rear axle moved back.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:16 PM, 88seriesrestorer said:

Guys i know this is a little off topic, but im looking for a 1978 or 1979 crewcab 2wd or 4wd for another restoration project.  Anyone know of or have one for sale.   Thanks Mike

What happened to the tan and brown truck?

On 3/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, 1958560 said:

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

I want the blue 67!  How about a pic of that?  Sorry for the thread jack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 88power said:

What happened to the tan and brown truck?

Still have it.  Have had zero time ro work on it yet

On 3/15/2020 at 3:14 PM, red211 said:

I want the blue 67!  How about a pic of that?  Sorry for the thread jack.

That's the 69 f250 that had the built 7.3 in it until he spun a rod bearing. Currently has a studded and  turbocharged 6.9 in it. It's my sons truck, he learned to slow down more on ice after he laid it on its side last November.  He was in a hurry on his way to exhaust shop to get 6.9 piped after he just put it in the pickup. He got a mile from home and called to say he slid in ditch, never mentioned that it was on its side. A neighbor saw him do it and was there to flip it over with a small payloader. Just got him pulled home and the mrs. called, she slid in ditch with her car a mile further from home.

IMG_5526.jpg

IMG953965.jpg

• Sad 1