Jump to content

Ford 6.0 guys have I lost my everloving mind?? Input welcomed!


B.B.

Recommended Posts

For some reason I'm not getting email notifications any longer from this site.   It's a Yahoo email and it's not changed.   Did before Christmas but not now??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hmm on the email notifications there is a setting for that with the update we had a while back it might have gotten reset - fyi the pistons are a notable weak problem for the 6.4 which is an expensive fix also. my mechanic told me I was far better off skipping the 6.4 and getting a 6.7 and he doesnt like the 6.7 either, he owns multiple 6.0 and a 6.7 but wont go down the road of a 6.4 - he has his own machine shop also and does all the head/block work too. the 6.0 is reliable once you fix it, he said he could never make a 6.4 reliable w/out dropping 25K in one as far as he was concerned. He said he could make a 6.0 reliable for less than 8. I believe it, mine was good to me. He is a well known mechanic/shop across the country for ford diesels. I hope it turns out ok for you and you dont have all the issues with the one you got. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While you have her opened up for injectors I would recommend either oiling valve covers and or roller rockers and heavier push tubes. Have one of the service trucks in the shop now for 3 bent tubes. Removed everything and replaced with jesel roller rockers from kill devil diesel. May as well replace both injector harnesses and glow plug harnesses while your there. The 6.4 is one h**l of an engine but don't last long without some upgrades 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, B.B. said:

For some reason I'm not getting email notifications any longer from this site.   It's a Yahoo email and it's not changed.   Did before Christmas but not now??? 

Seems like BJ asked us to verify our email addresses a while back

I have mine shut off. 

Not sure if this is your problem or not. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

Seems like BJ asked us to verify our email addresses a while back

I have mine shut off. 

Not sure if this is your problem or not. 

 

I just saw that a few minutes ago.   I hope he can get me straightened out lol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As things I do tend to get out of hand...

 

Bought at 2012 F350 yesterday with 63k miles from same dealer it was bought new at and serviced at.  Old guy traded it in on something smaller.   King Ranch that's absolutely beautiful.  Pick it up after work tonight.  

 

Definitely gonna have to sell some trucks now...  LoL sometimes I wonder if I can help but do ignorant things like buy a non running truck a week before finding a super nice truck???? 

My 986 saga went kind of the same way 

IMG_20230124_174849595_HDR.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, B.B. said:

As things I do tend to get out of hand...

 

Bought at 2012 F350 yesterday with 63k miles from same dealer it was bought new at and serviced at.  Old guy traded it in on something smaller.   King Ranch that's absolutely beautiful.  Pick it up after work tonight.  

 

Definitely gonna have to sell some trucks now...  LoL sometimes I wonder if I can help but do ignorant things like buy a non running truck a week before finding a super nice truck???? 

My 986 saga went kind of the same way 

IMG_20230124_174849595_HDR.jpg

Do you have more powerstrokes than 86 series tractors now? Lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, B.B. said:

As things I do tend to get out of hand...

 

Bought at 2012 F350 yesterday with 63k miles from same dealer it was bought new at and serviced at.  Old guy traded it in on something smaller.   King Ranch that's absolutely beautiful.  Pick it up after work tonight.  

 

Definitely gonna have to sell some trucks now...  LoL sometimes I wonder if I can help but do ignorant things like buy a non running truck a week before finding a super nice truck???? 

My 986 saga went kind of the same way 

IMG_20230124_174849595_HDR.jpg

Nice looking pickup!! I’m looking at updating, upgrading to a newer pickup, but I’m on the fence about a gas burner or staying with diesel.  I’m not sure how the DEF crap will work when the truck will sit for periods of time?! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Nice looking pickup!! I’m looking at updating, upgrading to a newer pickup, but I’m on the fence about a gas burner or staying with diesel.  I’m not sure how the DEF crap will work when the truck will sit for periods of time?! 

Know exactly what ya mean.   Ford super duty s 2017 and newer are aluminum and I was not interested in that so a new one was out.  Plus new diesels are insanely priced.  This one may get a weight reduction in the near future.    

 

Needless to say I'm pretty stoked! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drive through any horse type area, campground, etc. you will see Ford trucks from the 90’s -22’ but you will be hard pressed to find a 6.4. 
enjoy the new one, it looks mighty nice. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Seen a couple of nice Cummings conversions from a 6.4 to a 5.9.

Seen a home made decal on the tail gate of a Ford... "from 6 BLOW to 6 in a row" then had a Cummins decal under that. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/25/2023 at 8:36 PM, vtfireman85 said:

Drive through any horse type area, campground, etc. you will see Ford trucks from the 90’s -22’ but you will be hard pressed to find a 6.4. 
enjoy the new one, it looks mighty nice. 

I think the 6.4 can be built to be reliable but it's certainly at a cost.    Not sure what I'll do with this one at this point.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, B.B. said:

I think the 6.4 can be built to be reliable but it's certainly at a cost.    Not sure what I'll do with this one at this point.   

my mechanic says for 25K i can build a 6.4 that will be ok but short of that you are on your own. some do it some dont and they will run very well with teh updates/parts if you have a 6.7 may as well chuck the 6.4, keep the 6.0 for work and the 6.7 for nice 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

The 6.4 went down the road today.  I just got the title after a long ordeal with the previous owner and as soon as I had it in hand not even 30 minutes later truck was on market place.   Fella out in PA bought it and sent a driver to get it.   Made 500 bucks on the deal but it certainly wasn't worth the aggravation.  

 

 

Long story short if they say title in hand and then it's not put your cash back in your pocket and leave.   I knew better and I didn't trust my gut instinct.   It turned out ok but once he had my money there wasn't any urgency nor good communication.   I really thought I was going to have to part it out... 

 

 

IMG_20230218_164845974.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ended up selling my 07 I bought new to my brother in law.  Truck has just turned 85k and I always took real good care of it.   Just don't have much use for a half ton truck anymore.  

 

That truck cost me 14k to own 16 years and I didn't put much money in it other than tires and breaks.   80 bucks a month to own a nice pickup? Can't beat that and I doubt you could ever do it now with a new one unless you keep it 50 years lol 

IMG_20230204_165719983.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sure do like my "new" one.   

 

The 6.0 is still here but I think I'm going to send it down the road too.    Really don't need two trucks.   I've only put about 7-8k miles on it since I got it about 3 years ago.  

 

Reason I don't put many miles on trucks is because I've always kept a little 4cly car for everyday driving until I got a company car about 5 years ago.  

IMG_20230125_164831177_HDR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, B.B. said:

I sure do like my "new" one.   

 

The 6.0 is still here but I think I'm going to send it down the road too.    Really don't need two trucks.   I've only put about 7-8k miles on it since I got it about 3 years ago.  

 

Reason I don't put many miles on trucks is because I've always kept a little 4cly car for everyday driving until I got a company car about 5 years ago.  

IMG_20230125_164831177_HDR.jpg

Beautiful truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for conversation sake if a 6.4 build is 25k anyone know what one would get into a cummins conversion?  Seems to be plenty of good 6bt engines out there in rusted out trucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Just for conversation sake if a 6.4 build is 25k anyone know what one would get into a cummins conversion?  Seems to be plenty of good 6bt engines out there in rusted out trucks.

I used to follow this channel before it got stupid.  Rough cost breakdown starts around 7 minutes.  About 3 years ago.  The build process was a few of the videos before this one.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Cows_etc said:

I used to follow this channel before it got stupid.  Rough cost breakdown starts around 7 minutes.  About 3 years ago.  The build process was a few of the videos before this one.

 

He put a Cummins in a Mustang....Dah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...