Ford 6.0 guys have I lost my everloving mind?? Input welcomed!

B.B.

here is what i added to my 6.0 electrical system

image.png.03e4ff8497e034574a21c9525db4860d.png

image.png.6fd67e9885c2317702f2c39c157e30cb.png

image.png.3f795b8271f490604669f05dc867667f.png

i never had an issue with any of it - woke my truck up and i believe the injectors were more stable with good power all the time - the 6.0 injectors are finicky but in 350K i only needed 1set at 260K - i had a cracked one and also failed one under wty out of those before 325K sole it at 350K with original turbo - i bought it new - my neighbors son bought it and is still driving it, they love it,  it still had the egr cooler but exhaust had rotted off so only had a straight pipe and wasnt offensive at all, it whistled like a jet - my 6.7 has more power but no where near the cool factor

• Like 2

Brought my 1566 from the farm to the homestead.   Typical Ford fashion it had to break down on the interstate.   Cold side intercooler boot popped under the air filter.  I thought I popped the intercooler at first luckily it was just the boot.   Put it back on and tightened it down and made it home.  

when you drive a Ford you carry tools…

82FD6FCA-BB84-4674-85AB-F6F52E16F1CA.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I have heard hairspray under the intercooler pipe helps retain them under load.

Yeah I’ve heard that too.   It’s the next thing to try when I have them off again. 

I was just really glad I didn’t blow the intercooler as I’ve heard that happens sometimes too.    

I’m not making a ton of boost but those hills even at 20-25lbs of boost I’m sure it’s quite a load.   

in fairness to the truck I don’t think it was rated to tow that much weight :) 

blew mine off a couple times over the years - never tried the hairspray, used generous portion of brake clean on the tube and then on the hose and it was tacky tacky tacky - last time i put it on never had it come off again - i have heard some flare the end of teh tube also, i have blown them up top and down near the radiator/fan shroud, i think covid hand sanitizer would work to clean the boots/ends with and stick well, at least when I clean my hands with it, they stick to the steering wheel more than i like lol

Heard the "POP" coming out of North Platte the other night.

No steering wheel pull so no blowed tire,  thought AHH, blew a intercooler boot. 

10 minutes had it slid back on and tightened down correctly. 

31.5 boost on the big kitty and holding fine since. 

Come to find out boss who replaced the two thermostats never got (probably) the boot clamp tightened down enough. 

He always feels like sheet when he screws up a little bit so we just laughed it off. 

That POP does get your attention😄

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

yeah my wife was with me and I won’t say what she said but needless to say it got her attention lol 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

That POP does get your attention

It sure does lol. Mine sounded a bit different than a pop though. My duramax blew the boot off last summer. 14 bales on the gooseneck and just picking up speed climbing a hill, as usual, and BANG. Sounded like metal going through metal. I stopped pretty fast and found out quick it blew the boot off. I guess the bang was when it blew it off the turbo the pipe hit the master cylinder. Sure scared the crap out of me for minute lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Heard the "POP" coming out of North Platte the other night.

it certainly does and teh upper one can come off so powerful the clamp can hit the hood and but a nice dent in it on these fords

• Like 1

21 hours ago, db1486 said:

It sure does lol. Mine sounded a bit different than a pop though. My duramax blew the boot off last summer. 14 bales on the gooseneck and just picking up speed climbing a hill, as usual, and BANG. Sounded like metal going through metal. I stopped pretty fast and found out quick it blew the boot off. I guess the bang was when it blew it off the turbo the pipe hit the master cylinder. Sure scared the crap out of me for minute lol

Wait a duramax had an issue?   I thought only Fords gave trouble lol 

10 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Wait a duramax had an issue?   I thought only Fords gave trouble lol 

Lol yea thats right. Biggest issue I've had with it in the 100k I've put on it lol. I haven't had many vehicles but I've had enough and worked on enough to know they all have some kind of issues at one point or another. Now with that said, I have alot of friends who have 6.0's and I can guarantee that is a whole other level of trouble lol

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 6:39 PM, searcyfarms said:

here is what i added to my 6.0 electrical system

image.png.03e4ff8497e034574a21c9525db4860d.png

image.png.6fd67e9885c2317702f2c39c157e30cb.png

image.png.3f795b8271f490604669f05dc867667f.png

i never had an issue with any of it - woke my truck up and i believe the injectors were more stable with good power all the time - the 6.0 injectors are finicky but in 350K i only needed 1set at 260K - i had a cracked one and also failed one under wty out of those before 325K sole it at 350K with original turbo - i bought it new - my neighbors son bought it and is still driving it, they love it,  it still had the egr cooler but exhaust had rotted off so only had a straight pipe and wasnt offensive at all, it whistled like a jet - my 6.7 has more power but no where near the cool factor

Drove my truck to work today as I haven't driven it in a while (have a company vehicle and gas card) and I noticed battery light on for a minute this morning and then when I just went through Wendy's drive through for lunch it was back on.  

I've not checked anything yet but batteries were new at time of all the work I had done and I will check voltages and cable ends when I get home in a bit.  

I've looked into some of the alternator and wire upgrades and don't really see an inexpensive option here so I want to make sure it's money well spent and if it's even needed.  

Silly ole Ford it's always something!!!  It's set for last several months for the most part as with diesel prices I can't afford to drive it unless I actually need it and I seldom actually need it. 

4 hours ago, B.B. said:

Drove my truck to work today as I haven't driven it in a while (have a company vehicle and gas card) and I noticed battery light on for a minute this morning and then when I just went through Wendy's drive through for lunch it was back on.  

I've not checked anything yet but batteries were new at time of all the work I had done and I will check voltages and cable ends when I get home in a bit.  

I've looked into some of the alternator and wire upgrades and don't really see an inexpensive option here so I want to make sure it's money well spent and if it's even needed.  

Silly ole Ford it's always something!!!  It's set for last several months for the most part as with diesel prices I can't afford to drive it unless I actually need it and I seldom actually need it. 

the good stuff isnt cheap i never ate an alternator in mine but did upgrade it at about 220K - did it all when i changed out the ficm as it was deadish and didnt want to damage new injectors due to low voltage from ficm so went the whole shebang and married it - served me well till 350+ and neighbor still is using it and loves it. Its all beat to heck but still going!!!!

I haven't looked into it yet it's been way hotter than I want to fool with lately.  

I still have some other work to complete on it yet, such as replace those cab mounts,  install passenger side seat cover, change oil, tidy up some wiring on bed, replace dryer and flush AC system and recharge.  

1 hour ago, B.B. said:

I haven't looked into it yet it's been way hotter than I want to fool with lately.  

I still have some other work to complete on it yet, such as replace those cab mounts,  install passenger side seat cover, change oil, tidy up some wiring on bed, replace dryer and flush AC system and recharge.  

it never ends on most anything I own 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I think I got the battery light issue fixed on the Ford tonight.   Replaced alternator with a new one.   The trucks that had dual alternator had a 135 amp on top where as the single alternator trucks had a 110 amp.    I replaced mine with the the higher amp one.  The case was quite a bit larger but it bolted on no issues.  Took the wife out to eat tonight in the Ford and no more light.   She loves riding in that truck......   Ok not really but she will go occasionally :)

I've been out of commission now for last several weeks.   Broke my tibia on 9-6 and still on crutches.  I was glad to work on something a minute.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Put the ole 6.0 to work a minute today.  Probably in a few days I'll start a new thread on my new Ford project.  

Good news is alternator did fix the battery light issue I was having and my leg continues to heal up.  

IMG_20230121_092159308_HDR.jpg

9 hours ago, B.B. said:

Put the ole 6.0 to work a minute today.  Probably in a few days I'll start a new thread on my new Ford project.  

Good news is alternator did fix the battery light issue I was having and my leg continues to heal up.  

that is great news on both the leg and the fix - all i can say is if that has a 6.4 in it, give it the FULL SEND 

1 minute ago, searcyfarms said:

that is great news on both the leg and the fix - all i can say is if that has a 6.4 in it, give it the FULL SEND 

It's definitely a 6.4, I think the hpfp went.  

9 minutes ago, B.B. said:

It's definitely a 6.4, I think the hpfp went.  

oh dear.................usually from what I have been told when those go its a huge debacle, entire fuel system needs replaced including lines/injectors/pump and so no, when they go, they send filings all throughout and its $$$$ and dont dare throw a pump on it and try to run it from what i have heard

Just now, searcyfarms said:

oh dear.................usually from what I have been told when those go its a huge debacle, entire fuel system needs replaced including lines/injectors/pump and so no, when they go, they send filings all throughout and its $$$$ and dont dare throw a pump on it and try to run it from what i have heard

Yep that's what I am to understand too.   

I think I'll start a thread on it.   Might generate some interest.