Ford 6.0 guys have I lost my everloving mind?? Input welcomed!

B.B.

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

As long as they are facing forward, one good use for the way the doors swing! Lol

This is a bash Ford thread not a bash 86 series thread lol 

• 4 weeks later...

My ole GMC was probably embarrassed to get pulled to it's new owner by a Ford but it's what happened.  

With the performance tune the Ford pulls like a freight train and handled this job well.

I'm going to miss the 97 GMC but I bought it 10 years ago for 6K and sold it on eBay for $7,800 so I'm not gonna miss it that much.  I had no idea it would sell for that, but rust free big block trucks are getting scarce.  

59465.jpeg

7 minutes ago, B.B. said:

My ole GMC was probably embarrassed to get pulled to it's new owner by a Ford but it's what happened.  

With the performance tune the Ford pulls like a freight train and handled this job well.

I'm going to miss the 97 GMC but I bought it 10 years ago for 6K and sold it on eBay for $7,800 so I'm not gonna miss it that much.  I had no idea it would sell for that, but rust free big block trucks are getting scarce.  

59465.jpeg

Pffff, not the first time I've seen a picture like that lol. *Ford 7.3 owner.

Just kidding, those are both nice looking trucks. However, I'm partial to Ford trucks, even though I do own 2 Chevy trucks (don't tell anyone). They're for driving mama, riding nice,  and looking cool. The Fords are for the heavy work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a thing yesterday.  After looking at used trailers I got fed up and bought a new 25+5 Corn Pro from a local dealer that’s real close to Corn Pro. 

Now I can haul tractors on my schedule and I have a 1586 in MN to go pick up 

7F208DEE-C1BB-4EBB-B34F-5D60AD08ABF1.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, B.B. said:

Did a thing yesterday.  After looking at used trailers I got fed up and bought a new 25+5 Corn Pro from a local dealer that’s real close to Corn Pro. 

Now I can haul tractors on my schedule and I have a 1586 in MN to go pick up 

7F208DEE-C1BB-4EBB-B34F-5D60AD08ABF1.jpeg

Looks good. Just take your log book and fuel permits.

looks great, glad you are enjoying the 6.0 i miss mine - havent had that warm fuzzy feeling yet with my 6.7 im still on the fence about it, it acts strange but i think its because of the regen stuff - fuel mileage goes to about 10mpg when it regens - it shifts different too when its doing the regen thing - i could tell when something was wishy washy with the 6.0 this 6.7 is a crap shoot with oddness on a nearly daily basis 

looks great, glad you are enjoying the 6.0 i miss mine - havent had that warm fuzzy feeling yet with my 6.7 im still on the fence about it, it acts strange but i think its because of the regen stuff - fuel mileage goes to about 10mpg when it regens - it shifts different too when its doing the regen thing - i could tell when something was wishy washy with the 6.0 this 6.7 is a crap shoot with oddness on a nearly daily basis 

There’s still a few things to fix. I still have a slight engine oil leak.  One front caliper drips fluid. The cab mounts in the back are shot so they need replaced as well.  I also want to replace the bottom cushion and vinyl cover on the drivers seat.  

I love the built in brake controller.  Ford did good on that idea. I also love the transmission braking in tow haul mode.  That’s also a nice touch although the first time it did it I was startled lol. 

My buddy has an 18 450 cab/chassis he bought new. It’s out of warranty now so all the def and regen stuff got carefully taken off. He also recently had it upgraded to the pickup truck turbo setup when his let go.  With a tune it’s an animal now and runs much better.  

I get the idea that our vehicles don’t help the carbon footprint we leave on the world but it seems we went way too far with Diesel engines. They are so choked down and overly complicated it’s not funny. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Looks good. Just take your log book and fuel permits.

There is sonething about how you have it licensed on the fuel tax thing. Log book is a gray area. Definitely need your class A license just because of the combined weight rating. Talked with Iowa DOT before i bought and licensed mine.

1 hour ago, new guy said:

There is sonething about how you have it licensed on the fuel tax thing. Log book is a gray area. Definitely need your class A license just because of the combined weight rating. Talked with Iowa DOT before i bought and licensed mine.

Let’s just say Illinois dot has become a revenue producing venue.....

4 hours ago, new guy said:

Seriously?   And yet people who drive monster motor homes don't have anything but an operators license?  I'll check into this a bit and see.   

So after a quick search and a little bit of reading any combination vehicle over 26K GVRW requires a CDL if it's being operated in commerce.   Since I will only be hauling an occasional tractor to and from my very large yard to mow with at my own personal property and any implement I buy will only be used as yard decoration and or to help maintain my personal yard I should be exempt as I'm not participating in commerce. 

Who would of ever thought you need a CDL to drive a F-350 and a trailer.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, B.B. said:

So after a quick search and a little bit of reading any combination vehicle over 26K GVRW requires a CDL if it's being operated in commerce.   Since I will only be hauling an occasional tractor to and from my very large yard to mow with at my own personal property and any implement I buy will only be used as yard decoration and or to help maintain my personal yard I should be exempt as I'm not participating in commerce. 

You need a combination license. Any gooseneck style trailer this is a requirement. Even crossing state lines hauling your own equipment my brother who is in the trucking business but only had Illinois license plates the Iowa dot made him sit at the scale for ten hours since he had no log book to show his hours of service. Oh and the fine he had to pay. Best to leave the long hauling to the guys that do it for a living.

6 hours ago, B.B. said:

What is the gvwr of your truck?

What is the gvwr of your trailer?

Add that up. What is the total?

And yes you have a combination vehicle now.

My 18 Ram 3500 has a GVWR of 14k. My low pro 25+5 gooseneck has a gvwr of 24k. I have a class A license and will throw some log sheets in when i go for a run. 

DOT will ask you to prove you are not moving that piece of equipment for personal use.

I suggest calling a state patrol officer or the DOT to get the lowdown. Putting a not for hire sticker on is a magnet for the DOT...just an fyi.

I’m going to consider myself lucky. I have been all over the country with a pickup and flatbed getting equipment for myself. As far west as western Montana, as far south as Texas and as far east as Indiana. I’ve  never stopped at a scale and never had a lick of trouble. I’ve even been pulled over for trailer lights being out once and and never questioned once about log books or a cdl. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

I’m going to consider myself lucky. I have been all over the country with a pickup and flatbed getting equipment for myself. As far west as western Montana, as far south as Texas and as far east as Indiana. I’ve  never stopped at a scale and never had a lick of trouble. I’ve even been pulled over for trailer lights being out once and and never questioned once about log books or a cdl. 

What size pickup and was the flatbed a gooseneck or bumper hitch?

I have been all over with my pickup and car trailer but that is a different deal all together.

9 minutes ago, new guy said:

What size pickup and was the flatbed a gooseneck or bumper hitch?

I have been all over with my pickup and car trailer but that is a different deal all together.

GMC 3500 dually and either tandem single or tandem dual trailer depending on what I’m hauling. 

1 minute ago, new guy said:

Gooseneck or bumper pull? 

If the GVWR is over 10k on the trailer you need a CDL

All my trailers are gooseneck. 

• Like 1