Ford 6.0 guys have I lost my everloving mind?? Input welcomed!

B.B.

All you Ford diesel guys I need/will need your input.  It seems I won a truck today with a "blown up" 6.0   I haven't seen the truck yet but my buddy looked it over.  I'll include the auction link below and you all can razz me for being stupid for buying a non running truck.

I realize until I know what I'm dealing with you all can't comment on what I need to do yet.  Rod through the block vs water in oil vs stuck starter could all be "blown up" to someone.   I can't pick it up till Thursday and most likely won't get to look it over much till Saturday. 

Any moral support for buyer's remorse?? :)

Here's the link:

https://bid.beckortauctions.com/lot-details/index/catalog/23218/lot/3381130?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F23218

• Haha 2

Can you drop a gas motor in it and drive it?

When a 6.2 GM died, a 350 gas slid in rather easy.

Nice looking truck.

Or find another 6.0.

Make lemonade out of this lemon.

Pssss. I was worried about you for a second. That bed is worth that. Lol

You could part it out and make money. Those are good trucks. I'd start lookin for a motor. Probably could drop a gasser in but I'd just spend more for diesel. In that year ford Didnt offer a whole lot really did they? V10 or Triton. Perfect candidate for a 5.9 swap ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

When you have the details of what went south, and the value of the truck you can pencil out a budget. 

there are lots of people who have Bulletproofed them and sweat by them.  Buy a used core, put an engine together, and have a good truck

the 6.0 lt. diesel was a bad engine right  off the bat. hope you are aware that the cab must come off to do engine work . sometime a deal is no deal. wont take long to rack up the dollars now depending on repair. pretty hard to switch to gas with  but if you won the lottery ok.

first off what are your plans for it IF you were to use it? 

next, dead could mean so many things you wont know what you are dealing with until you get a closer look, with those miles chances are its been apart and had teh egr cooloer and oil cooler replaced/updated not to mention gaskets/studs but you wont know until you get a look at it. 

positives..........its got a torque shift trannie in it!!! its an 06 so coil suspension with shorter turning, also over 200 updates from the 03/early 04 models on the engine. 

you can get your money back out of it for sure with all the stuff that is likely good on it not to mention the bed - personally i like the 6.0 they are great once you fix them outside of injectors now/again but i also put on quite a few miles. 

i own one and love it even with its early shortcomings, take one in a heartbeat over a 6.4 they were far worse. 

mine is getting rusty that one looks in good shape for its age/miles you did ok i think - i dont see residue around the degauss bottle cap which is a sure sign of puking coolant and issues. 

Id check for studs on the heads they are easy to see/identify as they are exposed on the lower part of the valve covers edge toward the manifolds. 

i just took my truck for a 4 hour drive today and 18+mpg its worth checking on a diagnosis for sure at a good reputable place - lets us know what they find or you when you get it spinning over and see if its got clunks or what - could be a HPOP, could be many many things....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They had some issues but if corrected have been known to last really well. You don’t know what these issues are yet. I’d take it to a good mechanic and see if it might be something simple. I know a ford trained diesel tech that just went out on his own that does that sort of stuff and I don’t think we are all that far apart distance wise. Send me a PM if you want me to put you in touch with him. I’ve known him since high school and I can promise you he is honest. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rustred said:

the 6.0 lt. diesel was a bad engine right  off the bat. hope you are aware that the cab must come off to do engine work . sometime a deal is no deal. wont take long to rack up the dollars now depending on repair. pretty hard to switch to gas with  but if you won the lottery ok.

depending on what you need to do that is not accurate, heads, studs, turbo, injectors, standpipes, exhaust, egr cooloer, oil cooler, ficm, glow plug module/harness all can be done w/out cab off. does it make it easier but it costs more $$ to pull cab too

Gawd It looks decent. Worst case just put a chain drive and it’ll be like a bicycle? really though, it looks worthy of a fair amount of effort. Clean trucks like that are hard to find in my world 

For what you paid you could look for a used 6.0 or even a Ford reman service engine available already studded for 8K$. If the truck is in good shape and you spent 10K on it you really would be doing pretty well and have a new engine. You won't find a low milage one for that.  Swapping in a V10 or 7.3 will be big $ as nothing is the same.

• Like 1

My plan with it was to use it as a farm truck.  I have a 1997 GMC 454 ext cab dually that I currently use some, but there's times when I'd much rather have a flat bed, and having a little more power would be nice.  Plus upgrading to a much newer truck.

If the motor is locked up then I'll start looking for a decent replacement.   I'm obviously hoping that is not the case.  It will stay a diesel though and other than the mods to make the 6.0 reliable stay factory.  I don't need a ton of HP, and I'm told with a few upgrades the 6.0 is actually a good motor. 

I've been reading a lot on these engines, and even some here as there is another thread on the 6.0's  I just needed some reassurance from you all! :)

And you all know how auctions go.....  You see something you want, and then get irritated that someone had the audacity to bid it up and you just had to win.....     :) 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, B.B. said:

My plan with it was to use it as a farm truck.  I have a 1997 GMC 454 ext cab dually that I currently use some, but there's times when I'd much rather have a flat bed, and having a little more power would be nice.  Plus upgrading to a much newer truck.

it will be perfect for what you want, i will say this to, they are better used than sitting - those engines can hydrolock if you crack an injector so dont presume the engine is locked up by just trying to crank it, check fluids to see if there is fuel in teh oil, if the oil smells of diesel fuel/raw and is over full, drain it, chances are its got a cracked injector - the hpop can be a no start, the IPR can be a no start, so get it checked out.....guy i use here will do it for 105 bucks/1hour labor basically 

8 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

it will be perfect for what you want, i will say this to, they are better used than sitting - those engines can hydrolock if you crack an injector so dont presume the engine is locked up by just trying to crank it, check fluids to see if there is fuel in teh oil, if the oil smells of diesel fuel/raw and is over full, drain it, chances are its got a cracked injector - the hpop can be a no start, the IPR can be a no start, so get it checked out.....guy i use here will do it for 105 bucks/1hour labor basically 

I will check it out when I get it home.  Good to know on the hydro lock.     Same auction had a nice 2008 4 Door 550 with the 6.4 4x4 with a utility bed that sold as well as a single cab 450 with the 6.4.  The 550 had a knock in the bottom end supposedly.   My buddy wanted to get it for a cummins swap but it went for more than he wanted to sink into it. 

I've always wanted a powerstroke.  I wanted a 7.3 but those trucks are either complete rust buckets,  have 900K miles or they want 15K for them.  At least it seems that way.   

Thanks for the advice I do truly appreciate it. 

Just now, Thesd5488 said:

Cab comes off in about 45 min easy to work on there a good motor as long as you don’t use it like a semi

That may be if you have a lift.   I have seen where a few people removed front grill/radiator support and brought engine out through the front.  

3 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Cab comes off in about 45 min easy to work on there a good motor as long as you don’t use it like a semi

yea but you dont do anything regular time............its WOT and faster if it will go ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sold some weights to a guy a few years back. Pulled up in a very nice looking F250. Sounded different. It had a 5.9 cummins kit in it. He said it was the 3rd one he did. Also said it made a truck out of it. Please you 6.0 fans don't jump on me what he said. I am a GM man myself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Sold some weights to a guy a few years back. Pulled up in a very nice looking F250. Sounded different. It had a 5.9 cummins kit in it. He said it was the 3rd one he did. Also said it made a truck out of it. Please you 6.0 fans don't jump on me what he said. I am a GM man myself. 

I'm already getting laughed at for it Screenshot_20200310-220017_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5d445e9d3e9e3818d7c46ab503de9d60.jpg

• Haha 1