Redwing heritage boots

vtfireman85

The shoe subject comes up from time to time. My grandfather wore boots that looked like these, does anyone have experience? I just ordered a set. USA made. 

https://www.redwingheritage.com/mens-leather-boots-shoes/6-inch-boots/roughneck-02942.html

363EBE93-230E-48F6-A465-C1C0AF916FCC.png

I have yet to hear anything bad about Redwings. I've never been able to talk myself into a pair but from what I've seen they stand up to some serious abuse.

we use to get similar in the 80's for the very expensive $40 pr  true vibram and real leather, wear for about 3 years until acid would eat the stiching.   now all are < 8 months...buy cheap 4-5pr on sale ,with safest ,no BS govt sole as like gas cans PC is the most dangerous.

1 hour ago, mxmagnum said:

Looking into boots lately for my son and have heard from several steel workers, welders & pipefitters that Thorogood's are the way to go.  Most used to be Redwing guys but quality has dropped in last several years. 

I have always, and still do wear Asolo all leather backpacking boots, but for certain applications I would like something a little ..different I guess. For instance there is enough synthetic stuff in the backpacking boots that I am afraid of wearing them in the sugar house because of the heat when firing the arch. Also welding or painting, when I find myself doing something like concrete, which I get involved with from time to time for in floor wiring or perhaps my own projects. I don’t like the logger boots, don’t need steel toes, but the redwings my grandfather wrote had much smoother soles which I’m not a huge fan of either. These look like a fair compromise. 

I bought a pair of iron rangers heritage 3 yrs ago in Black Friday.  Cork soles,  they are really nice ,  wear them when going out or to office,  good with jeans or khakis.  Have a different pair for farm use.   Expensive purchase but i think will last forever basically.  Very well made boot 

• Thanks 1

Red Wing Boots

the upper leather is great as in the past

the soles are awful,,, rot and fall apart in less than 6 months.

same thing happened to the last 2 pairs I purchased. [no petroleum contact] 

Mike

4 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Red Wing Boots

the upper leather is great as in the past

the soles are awful,,, rot and fall apart in less than 6 months.

same thing happened to the last 2 pairs I purchased. [no petroleum contact] 

Mike

These have Vibram soles, so I hope for better luck 

Mine are steel toe "super soles"  By the time the sole is shot the uppers are pretty well done for. Generally get about 2 years out of them and they get used hard.

• Thanks 1

I have had redwing moccasins tops. Cant remember anything to bad with them. I have thorogood moccasin tops now. Also USA made. They are also pretty good. I wear the heels on the side so I have a closet full of leaning boots. I like a soft sole as I'm on concrete alot so I dont mind spending money on quality boots. 

4 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Red Wing didn't used to sell Red Wing boots online; you had to go to a dealer. And where are the farm and ranch boots on that site?

I went to the redwing site, then the heritage subsection. Maybe they are on the other part? This was just the US made products. 

Is it here ? http://www.redwingshoes.com/

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

Redwing. The BOA lacing system works great for me.

image.jpeg

BOA is a slick system. We have BOA on a bunch of our rental equipment at the mountain, so we have all the repair parts in stock. Also available VIA boa. If you wear them daily I suggest getting a spare set of cables and ratchets. Also if you have vision issues you will want a good magnifying glass or glasses. It’s a good system, but a bit painstaking to repair, however it is reparable 

• Like 1

Redwing for several years hear.      Daily worn. Steel toe  50/60hrs a week in mud and lime.   No complaints. Going on two years still in good shape, considering lol. 

Have a 3 yr  old pair for weekend and farming  just a small hole in leather behind the toe. 

About $180 hear 

4 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Red Wing didn't used to sell Red Wing boots online; you had to go to a dealer. And where are the farm and ranch boots on that site?

Times they are changing man. These days companies have to do what they have to do. That means selling online. They offer free shipping and free returns. I can’t drive  around looking for a dealer for as easy as they make it. Most often the good places are full price online and their dealers are a little lower. It helps even the playing field I guess. 

ive had several pairs over the years, wore well but discontinued the ones i had the best luck with, all dress shoes mainly, one pair of heavy leather lineman type black lace ups. wore like iron. 

i wouldnt be afraid of them just watch out for chemical resistance, i have ruined two soles on rocky boots washing off stuff and walking around in it. 

I prefer Tony Lama boots... back when I worked at the paper mill I wore Redwing steel toes. My wife picked up a nice pair of old red wings at a yard sale, I wore them around the farm for 2 years! Thx-Ace

Been wearing Red Wing shoes for quite a few years, #202 I believe. Six inch boot with three grommets at the top. Get them at the amish store for about $150.00. Last me at least a year and half or more. Doesn't take much to break them in and are comfortable on cement.  My two cents.

• Thanks 1

I wear them at work- walk probably 20,000 steps a day easy.   The laces hold up well, upper leather is fine, but the insides wear out and soles go bald in 6 months.   Hard to pay $300 for a pair of boots that are shot that quick.  Not the worst I’ve worn but they aren’t as great as everyone says. 

• Thanks 1

Heritage series Red Wings are some nice looking boots. I remember when several of the heritage styles were “everyday” boots. 
I wore Red Wings for 20 + years. On my first pair of Thorogoods and I’m really impressed and plan on staying with Thorogoods. Higher quality than modern day Red Wings. Just my opinion, but if you like Red Wings you’ll probably love Thorogoods. 

On 3/10/2020 at 3:57 PM, lightninboy said:

Dunno for sure but have you looked at Mills Fleet Farm?

best, randy