1206 w/ new engine starts hard

O6'er

Just put a brand new engine in a 1206. I have new injectors in it and a relatively new inj. pump that came off a another 1206 of mine that ran excellent. It gives me a lot of white smoke and after some cranking it starts to pop and smoke turns to sooty black/gray .  It pops and blubbers and tries to run and after about a minute (and my shop is full of smoke) it cleans right up instantly and runs fine.  I bled the fuel system twice and acts like there is still air in the system.  I let it run for a couple of minutes this morning and shut it off and tried to start it again after a couple of minutes and the same thing happens.  The only thing that's different on this tractor is the fuel filters.  I put the fuel filter system off of a 66 series on it but I have a steady gravity fuel flow at the inj. pump. Timing is at 7 degrees.  Is there just still air in the system??? Thoughts?? 

Change the filters.  I had a diesel pickup do the same thing.  run fine until you stopped it, then within a munute wouldn't start.   Had new filters.   Finally changed out the new filters, and it ran perfect.  The primary filter had a problem--it was sucking air but not leaking fuel, don't ask me how.

Didn't really check the blow by.  It has to be drawing air somewhere , right?

It only about 3' of steel line for a jumper.  Nothing on the filter setup is leaking fuel so I assume it not sucking air.

I'd double check timing,  but what i would really be curious to see is compression.  Even on a new engine it may be low with deep valve recession and low piston protrusion due to resized rods.  

• Like 1

not sure on the compression but I did have new seats put in the head for that reason.  I measured the protrusion myself on they are right on.

3 hours ago, O6'er said:

It only about 3' of steel line for a jumper.  Nothing on the filter setup is leaking fuel so I assume it not sucking air.

Do not assume this.  See my previous post.   It can happen- I wasted an entire day on a improperly sealed spin on filter.   NEVER saw a drop of fuel around it....but changed it and problem went away.

So, you're using a 66 series fuel filter head, but plumbing the filters so that it'll gravity feed from the primary fuel filter to the secondary fuel filter?  And you're using traditional fuel filters for a 66 series (such as A184773 & A184774, or Fleetguard FF5019 & FF5020) correct?

The reason I ask, is that the 66 series used the injection pump to actually push fuel thru the secondary, or final fuel filter, and not gravity feed.  Is there enough flow through the secondary fuel filter via gravity, that the pump isn't starved?

I could be completely wrong on this, but I've never seen anyone use a 400 series fuel filter setup on an older engine before.

• Like 2

Your right, Nebraska. I never thought of that....  I do have a good steady gravity stream of fuel through the filters.  I just have to make sure its enough.  Yes, I am using fleetguards 5019\5020.  We did this to a d310 on a 706 and it works fine so I thought it would work here too.  Nomorejohndeere probably had the best idea of just bypassing it and trying it.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

Try loosening pump and retarding 2 degrees.  Then try advanced 2 degrees.  Test both scenarios hot and cold, see where it starts best.  Had our 1206 do that years ago even though a fresh pump and injectors.  If I remember right it ran better retarded.  The conseses was gears are warn slightly contributing to the timing marks being off slightly.

• Like 1