706 gas 263 vs 291

BobinIL

Looking at a couple 706 gas tractors for a loader/chore tractor.  What are the pro's and con's with the 263 vs the 291?  Obviously a tractor of this age may eventually need major engine work so which one is easier to work on? Get parts for? so on?

C-291 will have more power. A lot of c-263 706 gas tractors have been bored to take c'291 sleeves. Parts aren't a problem on either one.

Power won't much matter on a loader tractor. You will know the difference in gas used. We did a fair amount of installing C301's in place of bad C263's. No1 complaint was "dang that thing drinks gas"  S/P sets are cheaper and more available for the C263 as there were a lot more of them made. Things change, but the last time I checked the 291 kit was about 400.00 more than a 263 kit.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Most 706 gassers were built with 263's. The only real "pro" to having the C291 is so you can pound your chest and brag that you own a "rare" late 706 with a C291.

Mechanically the engines and tractors are identical for all intents and purposes.

Plus all the 656's out there. I don't think they ever went to the C291. I have a 656 hydro with a C263 and pound my chest every time I have to put gas in it. Its my loader/chore tractor so its quite often.

pro - 263 was easier on gas but less on power

con - 291 was better on power more on fuel

if i was running grinder, pulling tillage, mowing thick heavy stuff, baling, id want the 291 - if you are raking, using as a loader tractor, pulling carts/wagons, auger, 263 fine

i ran a 706 w/291 A LOT back in the day for disking and field conditioning and pulled the snot out of it for several yrs for one farmer i worked for, fuel guzzler but sang well...........never a lick of trouble from it