Just plowing......

10 hours ago, mader656 said:

I see alot of comments like "fence like grandpa would have" my response is no other part of the farm is stuck in the 40s so why should your fence be.

Ha....love it.

With the WWW people forget there are 1000 dif soil types/applications on the forum your on.  Not local only.  Like you for example.....  no cement on corners.  Well its veeeery dry vs the East so ground is hard and quality post will be fine.  We dont cemet post either....ground is a gravel/sand pit with grass on top.  It cement like anyways!

No till....i would love it.  But every time we try min till etc its 40% or more hit.  UBC research farm 40 miles NE has tried everything too.  Our soils and climate for some reasons just need flipping.  From rain to weeds to heat units....way dif than NY for example.  Evern though growing degree days and rains are sim things are way dif.  No frost or sbow cover and no rains for 6 8 weeks some summers then 10" in December etc etc.  No problem....do what works where you work.  Just dont be a soccer fan and preach I HAVE to do X or Y.  Come out...try yourself genius whis never set foot on my farms land.🤨

• Like 1
On 3/9/2020 at 11:33 PM, billonthefarm said:

Thanks guys.  It’s a 720 5-18’s.  It has a cat 3 hitch so it will slide far enough to let the first bottom cut the full width.  I couldn’t believe the grief I got on Ag Talk.  I was very disappointed.  This forum is the best bunch of guys on the net, bar none!  First class people, everyone!
  Low third t/a is all it would handle.  If I shoved it in direct the front wheels would come up, it would start to smoking and beg for me to pull the lever back.  It’s set to 175hp so it’s not a complete slouch.  I hope to plow a little more this spring and you can bet I will post those pics too!

I'm not an ag talk regular. Can I ask what was their beef?  Last I checked it's your rig and your allowed to run it how you see fit on your farm. If it was about the narrowed tractor I inquired about it to learn how it was done. That's neat it will let you slide it over far enough. And I've watched plenty of guys plow a field with the plow set over too far. They figure ot takes longer to adjust that to do it. It all comes out in the wash at the end of the day. I still like your tractors bill. Thanks for sharing 

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Never Tillers..............simple as that, soil probe is on the verge of too much tillage.

Oh for gawd sake. Dump that thing in the ground and throw it in the company notch as you say. Pee on em 

• Like 1

That is beautiful! My favorite tractor model of all time! I love the one dual on for plowing too. Plowing is a lost art for sure. My boys have never done it, along with a lot of other things of days past. I remember going to plowing contests with my Dad when I was a kid. As far as the nay sayers for tillage, your farm your rules. We tried no till, didn't work for us.

Havent plowed in a few years. Dad usually hits it with my uncles soil saver and 5088 before i can get to it.

Good lookin rig bill!

Yah I chisel plow more, and like last year I was able to just disc first pass with the wings up for deeper tillage. But this year my plan is to bust out the moldboards. If nothing else just for the fun. My ground will not work on no till. Guys that do it have a poor germination and low yield. Now drive 30 minutes west it's a different story near the missouri and Mississippi river bottoms.