Just plowing......

I did some of that a couple weeks ago. Finished up a wheat stubble field. I got a chuckle about your Agtalk comment T.P.  Lol! Few of those guys around here too. But what's surprised me this past year was a couple who pretty much no till said be nice to have a plow that size and do a little now and then. Plow is a 800 9x18. Then they ask where I found the plow. I say bought it from a farmer in Arlington Ohio, and pulled it home with the 3688 I had because it had the poorest rubber on it at the time. One guy said if you ever want to sell that let me know. Lol!

14 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

I got a chuckle about your Agtalk comment T.P.  Lol! Few of those guys around here too. 

Guy plows a place where ag bags were to screw around and the preachers came out of the woodwork..................Some of them are way too serious.  

Looks like your tractor is narrowed up all the way. Is that first plow doing much? I have never been around that plow setup but mine to be right the tractor has to be wider. Just curious I'm not picking as I love your rig. Jealous 

16 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Looks like your tractor is narrowed up all the way. Is that first plow doing much? I have never been around that plow setup but mine to be right the tractor has to be wider. Just curious I'm not picking as I love your rig. Jealous 

If you mess around they can be setup to work really well with tires setup on 30" rows.  I have done a bunch of IH's and Oliver/Whites to do so.  A 5-16 710 is left sitting in the weeds here setup to do so, mostly because its safety trip bottoms are so busted up its not worth anything or it would have left too.

31 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

If you mess around they can be setup to work really well with tires setup on 30" rows.  I have done a bunch of IH's and Oliver/Whites to do so.  A 5-16 710 is left sitting in the weeds here setup to do so, mostly because its safety trip bottoms are so busted up its not worth anything or it would have left too.

I would of thought to do so you would have to slide cross bar way over deeming your center of draft off. but the biggest I've pulled is 4 bottom. With mine to get the center of draft right the tires have to be set out basically on wide rows. That's not saying it wont pull on narrows. But it sure is cool plowing with one setup right. 

3 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I would of thought to do so you would have to slide cross bar way over deeming your center of draft off. but the biggest I've pulled is 4 bottom. With mine to get the center of draft right the tires have to be set out basically on wide rows. That's not saying it wont pull on narrows. But it sure is cool plowing with one setup right. 

Beam off the main beam is slid towards the furrow, I leave the cross bar centered when doing this so you still have adjustment with the side hill cylinder.  You wear out landslide wear pads a bit faster, but 5 and up work fine, I never did anything smaller.  We had 2 5 bottom Whites and a 5 bottom IH in the same field with all tractors setup for 30" rows, plowed very nice together.  Now keep in mind we aren't pulling them with a 706...................5288, 1456, etc.......Heavier, bigger iron. 

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Beam off the main beam is slid towards the furrow, I leave the cross bar centered when doing this so you still have adjustment with the side hill cylinder.  You wear out landslide wear pads a bit faster, but 5 and up work fine, I never did anything smaller.  We had 2 5 bottom Whites and a 5 bottom IH in the same field with all tractors setup for 30" rows, plowed very nice together.  Now keep in mind we aren't pulling them with a 706...................5288, 1456, etc.......Heavier, bigger iron. 

That helps. I have a 5 bottom ford set of plows but always enjoy plowing with my 4 bottom set and an open station. 766 or 756. Seems more realistic that way. Lol  that's good you can set them in that way. 

Well Bill at least you haven't gotten thrashed for tilling the way you did over on NAT!  LOL!  What plow is that .  I have an IH 710 4-18 that looks like that.  It sure plows nice.  I plowed my one acre hemp field last fall.  The problem with plowing such small acreage with a plow like that is getting out of the furrow and getting turned around.  I have a road and power pole at one end and a woods at the other!  LOL!  I got the plow scoured and was practiced up just in time for the last round!!  

Thanks guys.  It’s a 720 5-18’s.  It has a cat 3 hitch so it will slide far enough to let the first bottom cut the full width.  I couldn’t believe the grief I got on Ag Talk.  I was very disappointed.  This forum is the best bunch of guys on the net, bar none!  First class people, everyone!
  Low third t/a is all it would handle.  If I shoved it in direct the front wheels would come up, it would start to smoking and beg for me to pull the lever back.  It’s set to 175hp so it’s not a complete slouch.  I hope to plow a little more this spring and you can bet I will post those pics too!

• Like 5
17 hours ago, nate said:

Looks good bill!  How fast do you pull 5 with the 1466.   In our ground you wouldn’t think of pulling 5 and you need auto resets.  

Low 3rd.  NO rocks. None.  No spring resets here.  Didn’t need them.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

I don’t guess it’d be possible to hook that plow to your “Smoke Rings” ten for a round or two?

The 3 point hitch came off of Smoke Rings a couple winters ago.  I do plan on getting it hooked onto my 10 shank conser till someday and I will video it!  

• Thanks 1

On the subject of good guys.  I have even "un joined" some FB groups for dairymen of late.  Anything not like they do is not cool.  Then they crucify anynew ideas or more cows than they have.  Or not in a tiestall or using a bunker etc etc.  Just sickening how producers cant just let be.  Every farm is different...so what

Looks nice.  Ive read old nontillers say sometimes the ground just need to be turned.  Makes sense.  Man never planted in the prairies or woods floors ever.  Always flipped over the native stuff

• Like 1
9 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

I hope to plow a little more this spring and you can bet I will post those pics too!

If you have acouple tractors plowing.................Agtalk title should be..........."750 Acres.........DONE"  A few hearts might flatline..............

39 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

On the subject of good guys.  I have even "un joined" some FB groups for dairymen of late.  Anything not like they do is not cool.  Then they crucify anynew ideas or more cows than they have.  Or not in a tiestall or using a bunker etc etc.  Just sickening how producers cant just let be.  Every farm is different...so what

Looks nice.  Ive read old nontillers say sometimes the ground just need to be turned.  Makes sense.  Man never planted in the prairies or woods floors ever.  Always flipped over the native stuff

Im in a couple of fencing groups and they can be the same. My way or the highway types think im a idiot for not concreting posts etc...

Some don't understand challenges to the status quo are how we get better and leaner And more efficient.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mader656 said:

Im in a couple of fencing groups and they can be the same. My way or the highway types think im a idiot for not concreting posts etc...

Some don't understand challenges to the status quo are how we get better and leaner And more efficient.

Your comment about "getting better and leaner and more efficient" hit home for me.  We have been doing no-till and strip till for many, many years and that was the reason.  With everyone working off farm we don't have time to do all of that tillage.  I still love to moldboard plow, it's just not practical for us.

So remember it goes both ways.  I have been on the other side of things when I read comments on here about how "no till won't work".

And back to the topic, thanks for the pictures Bill.  Seeing that 1466 with 1 dual brings back a lot of memories for me from when I was a kid.  Dad plowed a lot with a 706 and Oliver 4x16 semi mounted plow and Grandpa used a 1066 with a Oliver 6x16 semi mounted plow.  A 720 that isn't auto reset is rare around here, we are blessed with rocks. 

9 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Your comment about "getting better and leaner and more efficient" hit home for me.  We have been doing no-till and strip till for many, many years and that was the reason.  With everyone working off farm we don't have time to do all of that tillage.  I still love to moldboard plow, it's just not practical for us.

So remember it goes both ways.  I have been on the other side of things when I read comments on here about how "no till won't work".

And back to the topic, thanks for the pictures Bill.  Seeing that 1466 with 1 dual brings back a lot of memories for me from when I was a kid.  Dad plowed a lot with a 706 and Oliver 4x16 semi mounted plow and Grandpa used a 1066 with a Oliver 6x16 semi mounted plow.  A 720 that isn't auto reset is rare around here, we are blessed with rocks. 

I see alot of comments like "fence like grandpa would have" my response is no other part of the farm is stuck in the 40s so why should your fence be.

• Haha 1