Jump to content

Where am I???????


Dasnake
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is a picture from 1846, and a picture I took in 1983, I figure my bike is sitting right about where the horses are, it’s kinda cool remembering taking that photo and where I was and seeing the photo in the 1846 shot and seeing the area 174 years ago. Notice in the ‘83 pic the Crockett hotel in the back.

 

52D27129-757E-49F7-9396-606384199340.jpeg

C759C7E1-CC32-4F86-88DE-BB8A505E7AF9.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya the real one, the big thing I noticed is how low the ceiling was, but a treat to visit.

 I would like to get to bracketville to see the movie building.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Niece went there a couple of years ago. She was disappointed with it... then again she likes BerniE ?

Like most or all of his other supporters, she probably hasn't been taught any real history.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Steve C. said:

Like most or all of his other supporters, she probably hasn't been taught any real history.

Agreed. They hear how he’s going to “fix” the world, but they don’t know what the fix will be? free this free that, but in the end ain’t nothin’ free...

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Agreed. They hear how he’s going to “fix” the world, but they don’t know what the fix will be? free this free that, but in the end ain’t nothin’ free...

 

One of the members has a “rant” post, boy is that dead on. The socialists want this and I live this crap everyday. 

Anyway, I had a brain fart, Davy Crockett Disney land moment, I was expecting the area surrounding the Alamo to be vast and empty, when I got there and seeing downtown I almost fell over laughing to myself for how naive I was to myself, but it was well worth it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was there last summer. I dont believe you could get your bike that close now. I thought it was pretty neat. Someone who died there bore my same last name tho i have no idea if it would be any relation....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Was there last summer. I dont believe you could get your bike that close now. I thought it was pretty neat. Someone who died there bore my same last name tho i have no idea if it would be any relation....

I wasn’t supposed to get my bike that close then either, but I was blond then and played stoopid, got the pic security had me move, but it was one my most classic shots, another was standing over a rail at the edge of the Grand Canyon, like I said blond, now I don’t have that excuse, just stoopid.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Neat,  

 

That one was easy for anyone who has been there .

Take a look at bracketville, it’s close but if you follow history you would know in a second.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live about 150 miles south about  6 mo. ago my wife and I thought we would stop by (haven't been by in a long time) and check it out, there were people and tour buses every where, you couldn't get in sideways. no place to park.  glad you got to see it. in that first photo it was being used as storage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Fred B said:

I live about 150 miles south about  6 mo. ago my wife and I thought we would stop by (haven't been by in a long time) and check it out, there were people and tour buses every where, you couldn't get in sideways. no place to park.  glad you got to see it. in that first photo it was being used as storage.

The reason for the wagons pulling around and backing in, or pulling out, great info, thanks. 

Ya it was busy the days we went there, one day by myself and one day with mom, I was lucky with the fact there is a firehall behind the buildings and I showed them my badge and parked there, been lucky with the firehall spots a few times, my favorite was Chicago's wrigleyville firehall behind wrigley, parked in their lot, got a tour of the hall, then over to the cubbies, have had a lot of fun in your great country and I ain't done yet mom and I are planning Yukon Alaska trip next year, old don't mean stop, gotta keep moving.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For more old photos of the Alamo, check out this link.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+photos+of+alamo&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GaWK8T_RpM4JSM%3A%2C7wvmVmKJStogDM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQs5XMYUMmzAboCtty1ziwJvtqVaQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigme391IzoAhUwma0KHVPRCV0Q9QEwAHoECAoQFA#imgrc=GaWK8T_RpM4JSM:

Thought I would add this one for current situation with the Alamo.  Not sure how it's going to turn out.  We voted last Tuesday in Republican primary to leave it alone.  

https://therivardreport.com/moving-the-alamo-cenotaph-risks-damage-to-a-priceless-memorial/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Fred B said:

For more old photos of the Alamo, check out this link.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+photos+of+alamo&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GaWK8T_RpM4JSM%3A%2C7wvmVmKJStogDM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQs5XMYUMmzAboCtty1ziwJvtqVaQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwigme391IzoAhUwma0KHVPRCV0Q9QEwAHoECAoQFA#imgrc=GaWK8T_RpM4JSM:

Thought I would add this one for current situation with the Alamo.  Not sure how it's going to turn out.  We voted last Tuesday in Republican primary to leave it alone.  

https://therivardreport.com/moving-the-alamo-cenotaph-risks-damage-to-a-priceless-memorial/

Wow, great pics I've seen a few of them, the alamo 1936 portrait is my first encounter with the alamo, when I was little my mom had some colored pics put away and that was one of them, this was before the davy Crockett show hit the air,  but when that happened guess who needed a coonskin cap? Me. Who needed a toy "old betsy"? Me. But it took me to '83 to get there.

And a double wow on the statue move, if i remember its in front of the crockett hotel, I thought that was perfect then, I still would, it was to us and is to who sees it now a beautiful sentiment to a challenging time, why all these so-called civic leaders, which I think more specifically are civic morons who want to leave their own "legacy" no matter the mess it entails down the road, good luck y'all.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dasnake, you sure got that right, about the civic morons wanting to leave their legacy. They all can't wait to get their names on a corner stone or on the front of a building or street. It used to be you had to be a taxpayer to vote. Now you only have to be alive, but that still doesn't stop some dead people from voting. The non-taxpayer's vote carries just as much weight as the taxpayer, and they will vote you into the poorhouse. This business of moving the cenotaph (a statue like monument to several people, in this case honoring the defenders of the Alamo) installed a good number of years ago by a famous sculptor, all started as I understand when the Texas Land Commissioner office became vacant and George P. Bush, son of Jeb Bush of Florida, nephew of President of George W. Bush, grandson of President George H.W. Bush, he hotfooted to Texas from Florida, took up residence, and ran for the land commissioner office and rode his uncle George's coattails to the office.

Apparently overseeing the Alamo is one of the land office's duty, so this is what we got. I read where he was once arrested for impersonating an adult (but he was not charged) Just kidding. Actually, in his youth, he was arrested for burglary but not charged.

In my county, I personally know of crooked or ignorant of their job description, or both, county or city leaders. With their names on venues, building, and streets.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It used to be the 3 levels of governments were supposed to work for the taxpayers, not take our moneys do what they want and ask for more, going to **** in a handcart rings a bell but the politicos won’t admit it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...