Mike Stearns

Allison trans

Don’t know if this is the correct place to post this or not. I have a 96 fire truck that has an Allison automatic. The model number is hd4060p. According to the manual I got with the truck, it’s a six speed unit. It only goes into fifth gear as high. So sixth is locked out. The mode button just changes the shift points. How do I unlock the sixth gear?  Can I do it or do I need to take to a dealer to have done?  Thanks Mike 

I worked on a 94 pumper and the control box had to go to Allison dealer for programing same on a 2007 tanker(tender).

http://allisontransmission.com

Go to my Transmission  in Parts & Service ….put Serial # in

If I understand it correctly you have to go to Navistar and tell them what your wanting to do. They have to inspect the truck and make sure the tires are speed rated over 75mph and they want your intended load etc.etc. they then send this to Allison for approval.  Both have to approve in writing and then you pay them to reprogram and unlock 6th gear.  The MD in my 4700 is locked out of 6th too.  Not going to bother till it's the last thing on the list.

After some research, Allison’s policy is you have to get a letter from the original manufacturer stating the truck can handle the sixth gear. You then have to send it to a dealer who then forwards it to corporate. They will review it and either accept or denies.  If it is excepted, they will send the codes back to the dealer. When the dealer gets the codes, you have to make an appointment to have Tcm flashed with new codes. All this costs $500 or less. 
I called a local Allison shop and was told the same thing. The only problem I have is the manufacturer sold twice and then went out of business. So I decided to call Allison head quarters and ended up leaving a message. I received a call back and I explained my issue and I do understand their policy. It’s a liability thing. After a second call back, they want the codes from the tcm and maybe they will approve my request. 

Wow ... another example of big brother controlling and trying to micro-manage the little guy.  So happy I have a standard transmission and I can put it in any gear I want whenever I want.  They haven't figured out how to control that yet, but I'm sure they are working on it.  It just ruffles my feathers every time I hear another example of people trying to control other people's behaviors and telling others what they can or cannot do with their own personal property in their personal life.  I've never owned an Allison trans and probably never will.  But if it were me, I'd buy the shop manuals and learn how to program it myself, then activate 6th gear just to spite them.  It doesn't mean you have to drive your truck exceeding the speed limit of the tires or any other unsafe way of vehicle operation, but you also should not need to justify to others your decision to do what you want to do with your own truck, providing its not breaking any laws.  If the manufacturer doesn't like the liability, then they should not have sold the vehicle with a 6-speed transmission.  I apologize for the rant ... 

Off topic, but thought I'd share ... many years ago there was a very expensive electric typewriter called an IBM Selectric.  Then IBM came out with a Correcting Selectric that retailed at $1700.  In my business I began converting people's old non-correcting Selectrics to Correcting Selectric Typewriters for a good profit and a big savings to the customer.  IBM sued me claiming I was manufacturing machines.  I countered with over 2,000 parts in a Selectric typewriter, how could I be manufacturing by ordering a dozen repair parts.  IBM's unwritten policy was to control or squeeze out the little man's competition any way it could.   The court sided with me, IBM lost and had to continue selling me the parts.  That was a major part of my business' income for many years.  Guess I'm just a rebel at heart and don't like other people / companies telling me what I can or cannot do with my own equipment.  How about you?

I do have the manual for my trans, but it doesn’t cover the programming. I have looked into buying a reader, but they want too much for one. A good reader will run you about 2500-3000 plus the software is another 1000-1500. I’m going to search tonight to see if there’s a source for the programming. I’ll let you all know what I find out

Hi,

I don't know anything about Allison transmissions, but there must be more than one way to skin a cat.  What about an aftermarket TCM?  A WTEC-3 is about $300 and PCMperformance.com will reprogram those for 6 speeds for about $400.  source

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLISON-TRANSMISSION-CONTROL-MODULE-TCM-WTEC-3-29541151-29537291-6-MO-WARRANTY/292530241317?hash=item441c293f25:g:hFgAAOSwg7VZoFU3:rk:1:pf:0 

https://pcmperformance.com

Hope that info helps someone.

Now I know why I stay with standard transmissions ... 

Steve

edit  - they will not reprogram a WTEC-2 as it's too old for their system.

Odsteve, I have the wtec2. In all my research so far, all reprogramming and programming is done through Allison HQ. All dealers have to contact them for the program codes to reprogram a tcm weather is new or old. That’s why I’m currently working with Allison to see if they will allow it. 

Ok, sounds good.  I believe the WTEC-2 and WTEC-3 have different connections so they are not interchangeable.  However if it was a WTEC-3 then you could send it to pcmperformance and they can reprogram it without going through Navistar or Allison etc.  If I recall Alex is the man in charge there (or at least he was a few years ago).  

Good luck.

At work we have a 4560 that is programmed as a 6 speed.  We have all our trucks governed at 55.  That truck is geared such that it is always shifting between 5 th and 6 th.  I looked into getting it programmed to just a 5 speed but got a big run around.  I have Allison DOC at work it’s grey market.  Has read all the codes and shown all the data I have needed for troubleshooting.  It was 1000 dollars.  I’m not sure if valley truck parts in Michigan could help you.  I have gotten a bunch of transmissions from them and they seem really knowledgeable.  I don’t think they can sell direct anymore. I have to get them through our Kenworth dealer now but any time I have called they have been willing to help me figure things out so I was getting the right parts. 

• Like 1