Ford 7.3 gas engine

Anyone know anything about Ford's new 7.3L gas engine? Looks like 2020 is the first model year its available. I looked at the Torque/HP curve chart (blame it on my engineering education) and compared it to the same chart for my 6.2 gas. Night and day difference in torque at RPMs less than 3500.

Anyone in the know have any experience with these new engines? I've been thinking about a new truck but I'll most likely wait until a year or two of mass production has occurred before doing it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a Ford guy at all..................But am watching these pickups closely.  I have a below zero want to own any diesel pickup anymore.

Yes sir, you would be very correct. They are hurting people that just want a reliable truck, not helping by any means. More fuel for the fire against diesel.

Same here, but I'll go down kicking and screaming in my opinion on manual transmissions.  I would love to drive a new 7.3 Godzilla with a manual. I now spend my time lusting after old, three-peda

Posted Images

I know nothing about them but I'm interested also. I have been looking at pickups and cant decide on 1/2 or 1 ton and gas or diesel. The EcoBoost in the 1/2 ton gets great mileage and has pretty amazing torque.  I could keep my old 1 ton for the heavy haul but the EcoBoost probably has more torque. 

They just started hitting dealers in December. Have heard they are a powerhouse and comparable mileage to the power strokes as about every one of those I’ve heard from only average low teens when towing. Plus no regens, dpf, def, expensive fuel system plus they are only a $2200 option compared to close to 10k for the diesel.

2 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

They just started hitting dealers in December. Have heard they are a powerhouse and comparable mileage to the power strokes as about every one of those I’ve heard from only average low teens when towing. Plus no regens, dpf, def, expensive fuel system plus they are only a $2200 option compared to close to 10k for the diesel.

My 6.2 is in the 12-15mpg range empty and under 10 when pulling anything hooked to the gooseneck hitch so I am really thinking the difference in mpg between the 6.2 and 7.3 will be minimal. I just built a truck on the Ford website yesterday and the upgrade from 6.2 to 7.3 was $1700. Seemed like a no brainer for me as long as the 7.3 doesn't blow up.

9 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

The last sentence of this is key if your trying to make money .  More than one guy around here switched from diesel to gas because of those  reasons.  

28 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

The last sentence of this is key if your trying to make money .  More than one guy around here switched from diesel to gas because of those  reasons.  

At UPS we are only buying gas or hybrid package cars now as well as gas only yard shifters to not have all the issues.

Seems to me the manufacturers did a pretty good job of eliminating the manual transmission from the lineup. 

Now they have set their sights on the diesel engine. 

If they can build a gas engine that will out pull, get better mileage and longevity, well then, I guess I am on board. 

I still love my Cummins but am putting more miles on my 6.2 gasser these days. 

I just talked to a guy at work who says his neighbor has one. Says he likes it, hauls a$$ and sucks gas. Didn't offer any other info.

We just got a '20 F350 with the PowerStroke and ten speed at work. The guy who drives it says it's way better than the 500,000 mile '99 F250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke, that the new truck is replacing. I am surprised that we got another diesel. 

Cummins has a version of the 8.3 engine that runs on CNG/LNG BUT I don't believe any truck company uses it. Appears to be popular in government vehicles only (buses).

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Not a Ford guy at all..................But am watching these pickups closely.  I have a below zero want to own any diesel pickup anymore.

Because of the newer emissions BS you mean? Or why. I'm kinda with you. I have a 12 dodge deleted. Its pre urea. Just had a dpf and egr. Now they are scary 

52 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Because of the newer emissions BS you mean? Or why. I'm kinda with you. I have a 12 dodge deleted. Its pre urea. Just had a dpf and egr. Now they are scary 

Emissions which drained the reliability

higher fuel cost

higher upkeep

higher cost to start with

With gas engines now outliving the bodies here in the north by a long shot now, make good power, cheaper fuel, transmissions with enough gears to make them work well I don't see any positives to compression ignition unless you have a trailer that is never unhooked from the truck and it loaded or overloaded 90% of the drive time.  My beef with gas engines in the past was other than big blocks and inlines that made a lot less power, they were anemic on the low end in a pull and didn't have enough gears in the transmission behind them to really make them work.  So you had a low rear ratio stump puller, or a high ratio highway cruiser but they couldn't cross over well, but they have got those issues worked out and I must admit they look really good.

The 7.3 was designed to replace the v-10. Its available in 250-750 series, plus chassis for motor homes and such. The numbers looks disappointing until you realize there is room for growth from the manufacturer as well as aftermarket 

12 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

The 7.3 was designed to replace the v-10. Its available in 250-750 series, plus chassis for motor homes and such. The numbers looks disappointing until you realize there is room for growth from the manufacturer as well as aftermarket 

I thought they looked fine to me..............at 7.3 it should hold up really well, and it looked like it wasn't stuffed in the truck either so it shouldn't be bad to work on when the time comes, although Ford is really good for making repairs difficult.

I am very interested in this engine, too.  While we like our '17 Ram 2500 with the Cummins...it's a thirsty bugger with the 26' Eby trailer behind it.  We figure we might as well save a little dough up front when the time comes to change.

The TFL Truck channel on YouTube bought an early 7.3 Godzilla in XLT trim.  They will run it a year and have turned it into their project truck for 2020.  They put out a lot of good, relevant content for fuel economy, towing, and off-road ability.

• Like 1

They went back to a push rod engine with the new 7.3. Unless they messed up it should be more dependable over the long term than the gas power strokes and 5.0 that some have trouble with the parts that change camshaft time and drive parts.  10 speeds have some complaints, don't know if they have the bugs worked out for 2020. Do have a 10 speed and problem I have, is low is pretty deep and if I start off easy it will hang in low to about twice the RPM it runs along in 10th gear before shifting up. Also when slowing down going around a corner it will shift to first when it's  really above first gear speed. Part of the time when starting engine the whole truck will jerk. Have watched it while another started it and the drive shaft turns a piece and snaps. Dealer I bought from said they never heard of it. Others are saying ford says it's normal. Told the dealer to look on the net. Some have camera pictures of it happening. Recall was done on the trans with no change. 

7 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

Anyone know anything about Ford's new 7.3L gas engine? Looks like 2020 is the first model year its available. I looked at the Torque/HP curve chart (blame it on my engineering education) and compared it to the same chart for my 6.2 gas. Night and day difference in torque at RPMs less than 3500.

Anyone in the know have any experience with these new engines? I've been thinking about a new truck but I'll most likely wait until a year or two of mass production has occurred before doing it.

You hit the nail on the head with the difference, I think.  6.2 is good, but you gotta wind it up to get the power.  It has no lug at all.  I am on my second at work (a 2020 F250) and like this one a lot better than the 2015 with the same engine.  This one has a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed, and that seems to help a lot with towing and fuel economy.  This new one gets consistantly above 16 mpg empty, 12 with light towing, and 7 with heavy towing.  The other one got 14, 10, and 7, respectively. 

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I thought they looked fine to me..............at 7.3 it should hold up really well, and it looked like it wasn't stuffed in the truck either so it shouldn't be bad to work on when the time comes, although Ford is really good for making repairs difficult.

Has to be much better than the modulars as they cut down on the width and height of the engine dumping the OHC for a pushrod design (thank god).    

• Like 1

Mechanic buddy of mine says you can hit 600hp with one making a few minor changes and a tune. The stock bottom end will hold it no problem. Don’t know details otherwise. I would consider one if I was looking for a truck but have been happy with my Ford 6.7 Diesel so far.   

I joined a "Special" 7.3L Godzilla FB page. The hot-rod tuners are working on all kinds of stuff for them.  There has been a recall on them already, the first 1000 engines are supposed to be replaced, they have piston oil cooling tubes running parallel to the crankshaft, and below the bottom ends of the cylinders, and supposedly the tube is in the way of the conn rods on some engines, they run, but make a noise.

This 7.3L sounds like a lot more truck engine than anything Ford has made since the 401, 477, and 534 gas V-8's.  Guys are looking for new wrecked trucks to get them and install in their Mustangs.

35 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I joined a "Special" 7.3L Godzilla FB page. The hot-rod tuners are working on all kinds of stuff for them.  There has been a recall on them already, the first 1000 engines are supposed to be replaced, they have piston oil cooling tubes running parallel to the crankshaft, and below the bottom ends of the cylinders, and supposedly the tube is in the way of the conn rods on some engines, they run, but make a noise.

This 7.3L sounds like a lot more truck engine than anything Ford has made since the 401, 477, and 534 gas V-8's.  Guys are looking for new wrecked trucks to get them and install in their Mustangs.

The first I heard of them was that they will fit in a mustang. Surely the big dogs at the blue oval are scheming something there for a renewed “Mach” car or something??