Wondering if any of you Tennessee folks were affected by the nasty tornado yesterday.

I know Red 211 is in the Nashville area.

5 minutes ago, MTO said:

Hey Red! Got yer ears on?

I just texted him.  Hard telling how bad their internet service got hit.

• Thanks 2

Randy's fine - said he'll post later.

• Like 1

It was quite a bit west of us, but I know and work with several folks affected.  That thing was on the ground a long time, one report said an hour.  It went through a lot of heavily populated areas.  It's been about the most destructive I can remember us having in TN.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

It was quite a bit west of us, but I know and work with several folks affected.  That thing was on the ground a long time, one report said an hour.  It went through a lot of heavily populated areas.  It's been about the most destructive I can remember us having in TN.

Seems like you folks in the southern states have had more than your share of bad ones in the last few years.  Nashville got hit pretty hard a few years ago too, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, should have given Y'all an update.  I am 15 miles north of downtown so missed me.  It started on the west side and hit john tune airport, missed the terminal and took out most of the hangers.  Brother in law has two planes out there but his hangers were on the south end of hanger row and it missed his completely.  Guestimating 100,000,000.00 in damage there alone not counting planes.  Seemed to stay off the ground most of the way from there skirting north of downtown by a few blocks.  All across north nashville,  germantown and into east nashville lots of damage, but really looked to me like it was just off ground.  Lots of roofs damaged or gone with walls blown out.  Would total one house and miss the next two, then damage the next three.  Kind of skipped across an area then damaged again a few miles east of town and then just continued damage.  I think 60 some miles solid, then stopped, and got to cookville where it spun up an EF4 that leveled an area, that was where most of the death was.  The one that hit in 97 hit downtown and east nashville in almost the same path.  We had a strong one come through in 07 that  missed my place by less than a mile, lots of damage from here to the other side of gallatin, over 20 miles.   I have been down and bid one demo already, a friend demoed a garage already and has bid a couple more.  If it would have been on the ground hard wiping houses off would have been a lot of fatalities.

We are in the southern tornado alley, ours tend to be long run and happen at night.  Both are bad!!

• Sad 1

I was sent there to hook up some emergency generators. Small strips of total destruction. In the industrial park it ripped the tin off the buildings and blew the insulation out. Many trees were spared because they have not leafed out yet. But the insulation caught on the branches making them look “decorated”.

AB2BF7BE-6A3B-4D03-A9BE-E82ABE5A5CEB.jpeg

1ABB593B-6D6B-4E4C-BE8D-3A923C412F1D.jpeg

9379A7F9-5CD0-4B2F-92D9-03C3E677D4DE.jpeg

8E487F15-6F22-4CF3-8916-209D05756873.jpeg

How does insurance handle all this as you all are in the "alley" zone, just curious as we don't have your problems but we have our own to explain insurance wise.

Been lucky enough to not know.  I am sure4 my homeowners is higher than some areas because of it.  I know some have already paid or at least gave go ahead for repairs or demo.

13 hours ago, MarkG said:

I was sent there to hook up some emergency generators. Small strips of total destruction. In the industrial park it ripped the tin off the buildings and blew the insulation out. Many trees were spared because they have not leafed out yet. But the insulation caught on the branches making them look “decorated”.

AB2BF7BE-6A3B-4D03-A9BE-E82ABE5A5CEB.jpeg

1ABB593B-6D6B-4E4C-BE8D-3A923C412F1D.jpeg

9379A7F9-5CD0-4B2F-92D9-03C3E677D4DE.jpeg

8E487F15-6F22-4CF3-8916-209D05756873.jpeg

Mark, where were you?  I don't see anything I recognize . 

13 hours ago, Dasnake said:

How does insurance handle all this as you all are in the "alley" zone, just curious as we don't have your problems but we have our own to explain insurance wise.

Depends on the state insurance laws and the company. Don't know about today but it use to be that Arkansas was the worst state for the insured and really favored the companies while MN laws favored the insured really well. Then too some companies are really good about settling claims and others fight about every penny.

Plus you just pay premiums based on risk like anyplace. Live in a rural area? Higher risk of total loss to a house fire. Have a fire place or heat with wood? High risk of fire. Like in ND? High risk of straight line wind damage. Live in an area prone to tornadoes?

Rick

In this area, we normally have at least one tornado every year. The closest one that has come to me was in the 90's a local CVS pharmacy had all the glass sucked/blown out and merchandise spread all over their parking lot but it happened when the store was closed and no one was injured. No other local building was damaged.  The only good thing about a tornado, is you generally know it's coming and major damage is normally localized.  Last real damage was a few years ago people in cars were stuck in commute traffic and were tossed off an elevated freeway section and were killed in the crashes.

2 hours ago, red211 said:

Mark, where were you?  I don't see anything I recognize . 

Don’t know the name of the town. It was an industrial park right next to I-40. It was on the north side of I-40 way out east. The next exit going east on I-40 was the 840 bypass. 

Interesting side bar. The company we were powering up packaged tobacco products for US Smokeless. The bins are 48 inches by 45 inches and about 3 feet tall. Each one contains between 5 and 6 THOUSAND cans. At $5 per can that’s $25k per bin. The cans going to Canada have to be black and white with plain script and no logo, picture, or art work.

4BBB2E11-BA48-4D89-82FA-9101F0E048FB.jpeg

9D57BFD5-CA74-43CE-8C10-3882AB8B90A7.jpeg

97EFCAE8-A212-48D6-82B3-66AD290C0E2C.jpeg

I was through there last Wednesday and Thursday .