1939 m how to tell?

So i think ive found a 1939 farmall m the serial # on the tractor says so but what else should i see. ive never seen one. any help?

• Like 1

If the motor is original block the serial number there is probably fairly similar to the tag # . Transmission is dipped down under the seat. Those are the easiest way to see

• Like 1

look on the front of the steering bolster right under the grease fitting in the center, there should be a bulge out  (eyebrow) if it's a newer than 1940 ?  if it's a 1939 it will be plain , like a farmall H , just larger

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Fred B said:

look on the front of the steering bolster right under the grease fitting in the center, there should be a bulge out  (eyebrow) if it's a newer than 1940 ?  if it's a 1939 it will be plain , like a farmall H , just larger

Dose anyone have a pic of what Fred B is talking about?

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Slotted deck, stubby little 1-1/8" diameter PTO shaft, quarter-turn (aka Dzus) fasteners holding the hood on, are all signs of an early M.

Bonus points for the original 36" locking ring rims on the rear.

Matt, M's never had a 1 1/8" shaft.

• Like 1

All the '39's I've seen have the serial number hand stamped on the right hand frame rail.  Kinda below the oil fill.  If it has the original block the serial numbers should match.

• Like 1

Positive. I have every style of M pto's all 1 3/8". As you know the early H tractors had the smaller one. I think the ASME standard back then was 1 1/8" for under 30 hp and 1 3/8" for over 30 hp.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, randy hall said:

Positive. I have every style of M pto's all 1 3/8". As you know the early H tractors had the smaller one. I think the ASME standard back then was 1 1/8" for under 30 hp and 1 3/8" for over 30 hp.

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You sure? In the parts book, the shaft for 501-27996 sure looks smaller than the one for 27997-59956.

Yes the earlier A, B?, H, and M had the 1 1/8" 6 spline I think

• Like 1
Just now, bitty said:

Yes the earlier A, B?, H, and M had the 1 1/8" 6 spline I think

at least H had an early funky way to retain them, had to swap one dec '84   pull deck and related parts in bank barn  ....fish under gears  for ring with ice floating in oil

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You sure? In the parts book, the shaft for 501-27996 sure looks smaller than the one for 27997-59956.

Since you looked at the parts diagram the different part numbers for the early model round pto cover between the M and H should have been a dead giveaway.

• Like 1

My 1941 H still has the small PTO.

I watched a 1939 H/M rollout movie made by IH.

These looked like serial #1 as things, like the H in the circle on the hood was even different.

The tree that held the steering shaft and light bracket were two curved braces coming up from the deck.

It's hard to explain but it was very different from the simple tree coming up from the deck.

Look for yourselves.

• Like 1

type in 1939 farmall M   in google, then image, there will be many photos, some will look different than others in the center front  of the tractor, there is a grease fitting, under it if there is no bulge,( looks like a farmall H ) ,it is a 1939, if there is a bulge, it is later.  also for a 1939, where the light bracket Ubolts to the steering support, there is a cast iron spacer to fit the bracket to the pipe, at the pipe attachment to the transmission i's welded to a triangle flat iron with 3 bolts, the starter has a pin through the pipe at the bottom  for the starter button located in back fuel tank support. it's likely a serial no. break on these changes, so all may not fit an exact year.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

My 1941 H still has the small PTO.

I watched a 1939 H/M rollout movie made by IH.

These looked like serial #1 as things, like the H in the circle on the hood was even different.

The tree that held the steering shaft and light bracket were two curved braces coming up from the deck.

It's hard to explain but it was very different from the simple tree coming up from the deck.

Look for yourselves.

Those tractors in the movie are preproduction models.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of my 39 H . I am not sure if the front bolster is the same shape as the early M or not. Third picture shows the steering column post plate welded to the pipe instead of the later cast steel base welded to the pipe. Fourth picture is the radiator brace is similar to the A tractors instead of the brace rod running above the valve cover. I am not sure how much the H and M share these differences. My rear end is from a newer version

IMG_20200305_184532907.jpg

IMG_20200305_184539495.jpg

IMG_20200305_184524539.jpg

IMG_20200305_184600339.jpg

IMG_20200305_184956630.jpg

IMG_20200305_185008999.jpg

• Like 1
On 3/5/2020 at 7:57 AM, randy hall said:

Matt, M's never had a 1 1/8" shaft.

The h and the m both had 3 different pto shafts used during production. 39/early 40 was flat round housing with 1-1/8 dia shaft. Mid40 thru 42/43 was flat Pentagon shaped housing with 1-1/8 dia shaft, lastly was the larger protruding housing with 1-5/16 dia SAE shaft commonly seen on most h/m and super series tractors. My 41 MD has the original 1-1/8 dia shaft still in it...

• Like 1

The dish under the seat is the quickest way to tell if it's a 39 model. However, idk if some of the '40's had that too?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

The dish under the seat is the quickest way to tell if it's a 39 model. However, idk if some of the '40's had that too?

Early 40 had that and was more rare with that than a 39 was 

• Like 1