Sign in to follow this  
mader656

What steel do I make pins for a backhoe out of?

What steel and where do I find decent bushing and 5 inch x 5/8 sheave s

I would use 4140 pre hard. You can get it from McMaster Carr. They will have the sheaves also.

I use 4140 hardened to 28-32 Rockwell.  It is tougher than an old bull but you can still drill and machine it if needed. 

56 minutes ago, randy hall said:

I use 4140 hardened to 28-32 Rockwell.  It is tougher than an old bull but you can still drill and machine it if needed. 

Can it be welded?  For pin retainers?

3 hours ago, Finney said:

I would use 4140 pre hard. You can get it from McMaster Carr. They will have the sheaves also.

Is this turned and ground polished? 

37 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Yes it can.

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Yes, pre heat to 300* and cool slowly, I bury the parts I do in ashes.

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Not what I use.

• Like 1

I’ve got a couple chunks of 4140 that I’ve been toying with some trying to make a hammer. It sure works hard under a hammer. Should make an awesome pin though. Still working on drifting the eye. It started out as 2” diameter by 4” long and it came from eBay. 

9D167EBE-B2E5-4577-BA5A-324734C09A38.jpeg

16 hours ago, bitty said:

It may be overkill, but that is what I used for pins when I rebuilt the axle pivots and bolster on my 930 Case.  I also used bronze bushings I also got from McMaster Carr.

• Like 1

I just made pins for a Case Backhoe with 4140. It is hard, a challenge with HSS tooling. I wasn't able to cut it to length with the lathe, I used a Milwaukee hand held bandsaw. It took all the teeth off.

I take it we are specifically talking about prehardened 4140 here because I use a McMaster annealed 12" 4140 1X1 set-up bar and it easily cuts with with a file and can be marked with a scribe.

I used some TGP and bronze bushings for my loader bucket. I thought it might be too soft but so far-so good. I guess if it was being used hard every day it wouldn't last but it seems ok for what I use it for.

A lot of older machines that used to end up in the as is or parts lot at the dealer I used to work for came in with hydraulic cylinder rods cut and made into bucket, boom, stick pins. They're pretty hard on the outside due to the chrome, but that's about it. They did work though, especially if it was a machine you couldn't just order pins for. 

My case backhoe described several pins as 2". In truth they were 1.973". Turn down a chrome pin by .027" you've earned your keep. 

1045 or 4140 induction hardended  -  the core is ductile and the surface is hardended about 1/8" deep.  Must be annealed in the area where you want to drill a hole.  Excavator pins are made of this.