TD25C

2 hours ago, Deanomon said:

maybe that's my problem .. lol.. I filled it with hydraulic fluid now my engine oil is so thin it drips off the dipstick.. 

Most hydraulic oil is 10wt. 10wt engine oil is not as common as it once was, so a lot of machines have Hy-Tran or similar oil in it. It has been debated to no end in the past whether or not replacing the engine oil in the hydraulic system with Hy-Tran is a good idea or not. You definitely don’t want 10wt oil of any kind in the crankcase unless you are running in the Arctic. Maybe @m.c.farmerboy can comment if he got his machine repaired. My IH loader has John Deere Hy-Guard in it. 

• Like 1

I Appreciate that info thanks. yes I am going to drain my engine oil now and put heavier fresh oil in it .. glad I caught it right away before it ruined my motor.. do I have to drain my hydraulic reservoir too now and replace the hydraulic fluid? I would guess yes if its filling the motor up.. lol 

On 3/30/2022 at 7:59 AM, Deanomon said:

Is it ok to run engine oil in the hydraulic system? I think I have the same problem develop.. 

I have been running 15-40 engine oil in my HYD. tank dealer said no problem I need to have my steering pump rebuilt I took the vent off and put on a different vent filter to cut the tank Psi. that stopped the oil from moving into the engine check your rear gear box dipstick on right of seat if that oil level is ok you dodged a bullet and most likley your steering pump I teed into my oil PSI gauge line with a valve to drain down crank case oil

• Thanks 1

if you have any more questions I can give the number of our dealer they have 3 or 4 dealerships in the northeast and still sell the dresstor line the owner is in his late 70's or 80's and loves to help out on them older machines 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Most hydraulic oil is 10wt. 10wt engine oil is not as common as it once was, so a lot of machines have Hy-Tran or similar oil in it. It has been debated to no end in the past whether or not replacing the engine oil in the hydraulic system with Hy-Tran is a good idea or not. You definitely don’t want 10wt oil of any kind in the crankcase unless you are running in the Arctic. Maybe @m.c.farmerboy can comment if he got his machine repaired. My IH loader has John Deere Hy-Guard in it. 

If you put john deere oil in an IH that is a sin!! it may turn green!!

24 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

If you put john deere oil in an IH that is a sin!! it may turn green!!

We did that years ago in a TD-25B. Made that machine so sick it puked! That ain't no lie neither. 

In reality that machine had other problems easily repaired by a reman transmission swap. 

• Haha 1

I have a Dresser TD-9H dozer and run 10W oil in the hydraulics but the transmission has Shell oil like hy tran. I  bought a 624G JD loader and the manual said to use HyGard in everything but the engine. I asked the shell dealer about using the oil I used in the TD-9 trany in the JD. He said no because the JD needs an additive in the oil otherwise it hurts the wet brakes, differential and hydraulics are common fluid on the JD.

DWF

23 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I have been running 15-40 engine oil in my HYD. tank dealer said no problem I need to have my steering pump rebuilt I took the vent off and put on a different vent filter to cut the tank Psi. that stopped the oil from moving into the engine check your rear gear box dipstick on right of seat if that oil level is ok you dodged a bullet and most likley your steering pump I teed into my oil PSI gauge line with a valve to drain down crank case oil

Thanks this is really helpful! yes my trans oil leaks down a bit but only when I work the machine hard.. I thought it was just expanding or under too much pressure or something.. I top it up every 20 hours or so if I am working it hard .. the hydraulic pump was whining after the spring start up so I added hydraulic fluid and that's when I noticed my engine oil was thin.. if I change it to engine oil it might curd the problem a bit I hope :) and saving the motor is my biggest concern!

15 hours ago, DWF said:

I have a Dresser TD-9H dozer and run 10W oil in the hydraulics but the transmission has Shell oil like hy tran. I  bought a 624G JD loader and the manual said to use HyGard in everything but the engine. I asked the shell dealer about using the oil I used in the TD-9 trany in the JD. He said no because the JD needs an additive in the oil otherwise it hurts the wet brakes, differential and hydraulics are common fluid on the JD.

DWF

I love that little TD9 in your picture! 

Just stumbled on this thread, kinda off topic, but saw you had a dealers number who liked to help on older machines? We have a td-20g and were needing some parts for it, no dealers in our area we know of, and could use a direction to start looking...located in southeast missouri. Any info would be appreciated. 

Blue Ridge Tractor in Benton, IL. 

• Like 1