706 steering problem

Hello,

I'm working on a 706 diesel row crop that sat outside for about 12 years. The story is that the exhaust filled with water during a storm and the owner just left it to rot.

Recently a friend of mine got the tractor and we went about getting it running again. We ended up replacing the engine in it with a running take out from a salvage yard and had it running without much drama.

But now that its running a few other problems have surfaced. I've looked through archived posts on 706 steering trouble but I haven't seen these exact symptoms. 

So, when you start and idle the engine it steers pretty good, smooth, no noise.But as you accelerate the steering gets worse and there is a chattering noise coming some where. I cant quite narrow down the location. The faster the engine speed the worse the noise and lack of steering. 

The fluid has been changed. It did have quite a bit of water in it. 

Any help would be appreciated. I've spent 30 years as a mechanic working on all sorts of equipment but I've never been into a one of these steering systems.

Thank you, Mike

hey mike, we all love a good story but its hard to know what else may have been wrong and why parked - water in hydraulics is not good either, rusting valves that stick make for so much issues its hard to say what could be going on. I do know there is a separate pump that runs the steering besides the main pump on a 706. I would try to isolate the sound and see where it might be coming from. Outside of that and a valve that is sticking/ratcheting due to pressure/air/rust and not opening/closing properly it would be my first guess, also possible if there was water in it, someone tried to jump start it when frozen and the water kept things from turning it twisted/broke/damaged something also, rusty bearings could be at play here too and you wont know that issue w/o isolating the noise first and working on that. 

The parts guide for power steering on case ih parts website will give you some troubleshooting insight as to the parts associated/pump location etc......

that is about as much help as i have for you, im no scholar just a guy with a toolbox that tries things when i get desperate 

Thanks for the suggestions so far,

I'm with you 100% about what was wrong before it was parked and the water has done it no favors. 

I guess i was hoping i could figure out where to look. The pump, MCV valve, some thing in the steering pedestal. I just don't know.

I will look at the case ih parts site. I didn't know that was out there and accessible to any one. Thank you ! 

He was working on the tractor this morning and now thinks the chattering is coming manifold that's located under the starter.

Thanks

Just theorizing here, as I tend to do, but cavitation/foaming does tend to get worse with RPMs. If you're putting a lot of air into the hydraulic fluid due to a leak on the pressure side (?) you'd be creating foam and you can't suck foam.

Well, this afternoon we started with some thing simple. As 3588pfcred suggested we changed the filter again. It also got more new oil as it looked to have some water in it again. 

The steering works perfect and the noise is gone. 

I think another fluid and filter change are in it's short term future to try and get all the moisture out. But for now all is well.

Thanks to all,  Mike

thats great mike, nothing like getting some air/water/flow going and trying to let oil do its job after rusty stuff has sat - neighbor has a 9700 ford, sat for a couple yrs after a tornado and got on it and the lift arms didnt work on 3 point, i said drive that sucker around and move the arms manually with a jack etc.........he ran it for 6 mos off/on just checking fence and kept running the levers and changed filter and topped things off a couple times. After a few mos it broke loose one day and he used it pretty regular for those 6 mos doing stuff and now just fires it up and runs things off/on to keep things moving. Sitting for anything is death by atrophy. 

8 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

thats great mike, nothing like getting some air/water/flow going and trying to let oil do its job after rusty stuff has sat - neighbor has a 9700 ford, sat for a couple yrs after a tornado and got on it and the lift arms didnt work on 3 point, i said drive that sucker around and move the arms manually with a jack etc.........he ran it for 6 mos off/on just checking fence and kept running the levers and changed filter and topped things off a couple times. After a few mos it broke loose one day and he used it pretty regular for those 6 mos doing stuff and now just fires it up and runs things off/on to keep things moving. Sitting for anything is death by atrophy. 

706 axle housing may be separate from the differential and will need to be drained and refilled separately unless someone removed the soft plugs at the inner bearings

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

706 axle housing may be separate from the differential and will need to be drained and refilled separately unless someone removed the soft plugs at the inner bearings

Good catch.  He will need to pull those plugs, After draining the center one.