Ih 806 grinding noise

I have a 806 that would grind when you let out on the clutch no matter what gear it is in. I’ve took transmission cover off and checked gears, broke it into and checked clutch, checked clutch brake. I can’t find anything wrong. I need some help. Thanks 

Does it grind if you have it in neutral?

If so does it grind if you have it in the neutral between 2nd and 3rd?

Does it have a TA?

Thx-Ace

1 hour ago, acem said:

Does it grind if you have it in neutral?

If so does it grind if you have it in the neutral between 2nd and 3rd?

Does it have a TA?

Thx-Ace

It has a ta. It only does it when you put it in gear and let out on the clutch, it doesn’t matter what gear. If it’s in neutral it won’t do it

10 minutes ago, jsmithsfarm said:

It has a ta. It only does it when you put it in gear and let out on the clutch, it doesn’t matter what gear. If it’s in neutral it won’t do it

So you put it in gear, let out the clutch and it grinds and doesn't move? That seems how your describing it.   Right?

42 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

So you put it in gear, let out the clutch and it grinds and doesn't move? That seems how your describing it.   Right?

It will move but it sounds like it’s coming apart it grinds so bad. It started out just doing it every so often, but when I tore it apart it was doing it every time.

oh dear, whatever it is, its sounds like a big job - sorry it broke on you - if you are like me my heart would sink if i have somethign that big and it breaks, you guys on here are the best and i admire all of your abilities with this big stuff and working on it - i know the guys here will get you headed in the right direction and see it through kudos to you for tearing into it!!!!

• Like 1

Possibly farther back in the rear end? Does it have a cab? A cab can make it more difficult to tell where the noise is coming from. The transmission cover that is accessible under the platform is the range transmission cover. The range transmission is in the rear end. The speed transmission cover is under the steering support. To get this cover off you have to take off the fuel tank and steering tower. If you did take all that off and have the speed transmission cover off. Use a mirror and flashlight to look at the gears on the counter shaft under the TA also. Also you can take the bottom cover off or the MCV valve off the left side to look at these gears and the underside of the TA. Post pictures of the gears you are looking at. Good luck.

First thing I'd do is pull the hydraulic filter and look for shavings or teeth. Jack up one wheel and turn it and listen for noises. Pull the third link cover above the pto and look in there. I'd be looking in the differential or bull pinion area myself, or a rear axle bearing. 

• Like 1

Just finished up a 686 with similar symptoms. Found a ring gear bolt broken, partially backed out, and dragging round and round. I was about to throw my hands up when I decided to pull top link cover, rear end up on jack stands, put it in gear and  let it run. Saw bolt catching and dragging on housing. It had actually worn a groove in the housing. 

19 hours ago, jsmithsfarm said:

I have a 806 that would grind when you let out on the clutch no matter what gear it is in. I’ve took transmission cover off and checked gears, broke it into and checked clutch, checked clutch brake. I can’t find anything wrong. I need some help. Thanks 

look farther back at the axle brgs.. I have seen axle brgs go and the bull gear rubbed the housing out. was on the smaller models of ih. 

"My tractor makes a bad noise.  Tell me what it is and how to fix it."

Take it to a shop.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Ehh, I'd give the guy some credit. He split it (broke in into) and put it back together, before posting here.  I'd probably have done the same. He can look through the top link hole next. 

• Like 4

Which cover did you take off.   If you took top cover off range transmission that would mean you had park pawl out along with cover. Did it still make noise when you put cover back on. Reason I ask is that not uncommon for park to not fully release and make a heck of a racket when moving in any gear but if you had that cover off that would eliminate  that possibility. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Take it to a shop.....

i would be the take it to the shop guy, this guy is much more brave than me, he tore into it!!! 

11 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Take it to a shop.....

What is the purpose of this forum if it is not for sharing information on the mechanical problems and diagnostics of these old tractors?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

What is the purpose of this forum if it is not for sharing information on the mechanical problems and diagnostics of these old tractors?

To be fair, how are you supposed to diagnose it without a much more specific description of the symptoms? There are a LOT of places in an 806 to grind.

If jsmithsfarm would try to be more specific about the location and nature of the grinding, people could do more than send him on wild goose chases.

Try to localize the grinding. Front, rear, left, right, center, top, bottom. If you listen carefully, without the sense of panic, suddenly you can realize that it's coming from the left brake drum area, for example.

• Thanks 1

I can already see where this is going....

When you let the clutch out is it more of a rumble under the seat, or a horrible gear chatter sound?

Does it do it forward and reverse? Does it seam like the tractor is laboring to move, like it doesn't want to roll very easy?

If you can, lift the entire rear axle so the tires are off the ground. Then rotate the tires by hand and try to determine where the sound is coming from. Thx-Ace

• Like 1

While I can't give any advice to the OP, I can say that attacking members gets you no where. I have cleaned up this thread. If a person has advice for the OP that they want to share, they can do so. If not, then keep your comments to yourself.

Thanks!
BJ

Edited by FarmallFan
spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2