88 series fuel gauge

66 Series Farmer

My 5088 had an issue with the fuel gauge years ago. I can't remember what it was doing, but my fix was to pull the cap off of the top sending unit and clean the connections. I got lucky that it wasn't the lower tank.

If you have another IH tractor or combine change out the fuel gage in the dash first to see if that’s the problem . If that don’t take care of it then pull the top rear tank sending unit out and hook the wire back up to it , then hook a jumper wire to the sending unit to a good ground , hook the two wires together on the lower tank unit so it’s by passed . Turn the key on and go the the back of the tractor and move the sending unit to full then to empty and look through the rear wind to see if it moves from 1/4 to full . 
If it moves  the back unit is good then the lower tank unit is bad . A lot of the time the top tank unit is the one that goes bad because of have move fuel and the movement they go bad first If it’s the lower tank unit ,make sure you run it down on fuel so you don’t have to drain it out that little hole on the bottom , Then  take the rear wheel off the cast wheel so you can get in there , power wash all the dirt out from behind the tank and remove the straps , tip the tank out away saddle and change out the sending unit .

Danny 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:38 AM, MNredfarmer said:

My 5088 had an issue with the fuel gauge years ago. I can't remember what it was doing, but my fix was to pull the cap off of the top sending unit and clean the connections. I got lucky that it wasn't the lower tank.

Had the same issue with my 5088 and was simply a loose fitting spade connection on the rear sending unit.  Check that first as MNredfarmer says.

Archived