Any 2019 Cummins ram owners here yet?

poor farmer/logger

28 minutes ago, SMOKER 1 said:

Plan is to pull 44 foot toy hauler and 30000# 35 ft goose neck.  And it will also be used as a daily driver.  I'm a one truck has to do it all kinda guy.  Looked into getting a ranger type truck once and it penciled out to just drive the truck we already had.  We kept the 2011 3500 dually with 100000 on the clock for the beater.  I told Smoker 2 that she could bring the 2011 with the camper and Ill load a couple tractors on the goose neck and we're off to the shows.  That didn't go over so well.

jerry

That truck should fit the bill nicely for those loads. I was looking at a 5500 Cummins while they had the new one in getting fixed. Was no deck on it yet so I was eyeing up the frame and they sure made it heavy enough. 

As I understand it the def functions the same in the 5500 but it is programmed differently. It will not go into limp mode like this one. I read it on the internet so it has to be true lol. 

5 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

The thing that got me was coil suspension on the rear. Your dad’s have coils or leaf springs?

The 2500 is the only one of the Heavy Duty  Rams with coil springs. I really like them, and they seem to hold up to what I do. This is the heaviest load it pulls. 

B7AEE318-4E63-4F71-AD79-21950B305E04.jpeg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

The 2500 is the only one of the Heavy Duty  Rams with coil springs. I really like them, and they seem to hold up to what I do. This is the heaviest load it pulls. 

When I first noticed the suspension it surprised me and I actually thought it was an air suspension until I looked closer. Is there a noticeable difference between the coil springs and leaf springs in ride quality and load handling? Is this your first experience with coil springs? Im just curious. Is Dodge the only one offering coil springs?

8 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

When I first noticed the suspension it surprised me and I actually thought it was an air suspension until I looked closer. Is there a noticeable difference between the coil springs and leaf springs in ride quality and load handling? Is this your first experience with coil springs? Im just curious. Is Dodge the only one offering coil springs?

To me the coils ride MUCH nicer than leaf springs. Air suspension is an option with the coils. My truck doesn’t have the air suspension. This truck is first one I’ve had with coils. My previous 2006 2500 was leaf spring. When I would hook onto the gooseneck, it would definitely make the 2006 squat, just with the trailer. When I hookup to the 2018 it doesn’t squat.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

Wow nice looking unit there! It sits just perfect. Our dodge eco diesels at work with the coils just squat right down as soon as they are backed up to trailer, not even hooked up lol. Even the 2011 3500 sure squats down with the trailer hooked up

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Dad picked up a new truck yesterday and I drove it home 750 Kms for him. Not a great introductory to new vehicles with def though. Got 80 Kms into the trip and I got the message in 220 Kms you’ll be derate to 8 km/h. Something had gone wrong with the def system. They did a software update at the dealer I stoped at and sent us on our way. Got about 7 miles out of town and another def code came up. Back to town again. This time they cleared the code and tested it themselves again. Threw a code for the mechanic again. He came back with it, took some def out of the tank, cleared the code and then tested it again. This time it was ok. We headed off the rest of the way home a lot later then we planed on with a truck I didn’t know if I’d get there with lol. 1:30 in the morning I finally pulled into our driveway. 

Anyone else here own one of these trucks with the new high output Cummins? Just curious what your experience with them has been mileage was real bad coming home too. I’m not going to judge the truck on that yet as it only has 800 Kms now. 

5CDFC74E-1A32-43C4-9EFC-F2EA45FCFDFC.jpeg

BC605549-1669-4F79-ACB6-69C5597BACEA.jpeg

Nice looking truck. I'm not much of a dodge fan, but that looks pretty good. I haven't heard of much trouble with the def on the Cummins. The eco diesels we have at work seem to be quite troublesome, and the Fords have caused us grief. We only got one 6.7 dodge at work and it's a 2011. Been pretty decent. Mileage sucks but they all do with the dpf. Few little issues but nothing too drastic yet. 

As far as deleting the def/dpf, there is still alot of it going on here, but alot of dealers won't take the truck in on trade if it is deleted, and to get it safetied it has to be put back to stock.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Just don't put a heavy load on the bed. Had a buddy that out a bale bed in one. Said it rocked back and forth bad. I stacked a load of wood with sides on mine. Granted I was probably too heavy. Couldn't hardly keep it on the road over 40. It rocked back and forth terrible. 

Def in many ways improved longevity compared to pre 2010 engines that were socked with EGR.  Unfortunately the Def system components seem to be much less than robust.  I have lost count of NOX sensors, lines/heaters, and sending/quality units i have replaced through the years.  Honestly, it doesnt matter on the manufacturer either as most of these components are very similiar.  The mandated derates are just insane and honestly its no wonder why people delete.  Having a truck or piece of equipment essentially bricked over these components which WILL fail is ridiculous.   Some Def faults are an absolute SOB to diagnose as well, mainly  Def quality and NOX conversion faults as base engine issues can cause these as well.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sharp truck poor farmer/logger. I wish I had ordered my 16 inflame red instead of black but it is what it is now. Mine is a 2500 so has the coils. I have no complaints , the salesman I bought thru told me tho that the coils do cause a lot of rocking with a high wide load like a slide in camper as there are mounted quite a piece inward from where leaf springs are mounted.

• Like 2

Thanks. Dad’s managed to put a few miles on it now that the roads dried up a bit. Seems to be working good so far. No more complaints yet anyways. 

One anniyance is the big blind spot where the rear view mirror is. There’s sensors in there for the active cruise control/forward collision avoidance. The way they did it, it’s a bit of a afterthought I think. Coming years hopefully they redesign it.  We’ll get used to it though I’m sure. 

On 2/29/2020 at 10:32 AM, jass1660 said:

Voids warranty’s, dealers won’t take them on trade or let them on lot for repairs as spot check by EPA and big fines occur as well as it’s illegal to delete.

Son's deleted '14 Ram 2500 sat on the Ford dealer's lot for sale less than a week back in 2018. 4 yr old truck with only 35,000 miles.  Before delete, the tailpipe was squeaky clean, not a spec of soot. Post delete, took about 5 miles to soot the tailpipe up. He had got as high as 24 mpg pre-delete on road trips, thing cruised around 1400 rpm at 70 mph,  post delete  would get around 16-18 mpg.

Not saying it's not illegal.  But more of a "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" thing.  Seems like the gov't is cracking down on shops more now than 3 yrs ago when SON had his Ram done.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Son's deleted '14 Ram 2500 sat on the Ford dealer's lot for sale less than a week back in 2018. 4 yr old truck with only 35,000 miles.  Before delete, the tailpipe was squeaky clean, not a spec of soot. Post delete, took about 5 miles to soot the tailpipe up. He had got as high as 24 mpg pre-delete on road trips, thing cruised around 1400 rpm at 70 mph,  post delete  would get around 16-18 mpg.

Not saying it's not illegal.  But more of a "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" thing.  Seems like the gov't is cracking down on shops more now than 3 yrs ago when SON had his Ram done.

Things changed big time in 2019. New some younger guys with all brands deleted and tricked up all wanted to trade dealer said sell them private we won’t trade. 

On 2/29/2020 at 9:02 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

That truck should fit the bill nicely for those loads. I was looking at a 5500 Cummins while they had the new one in getting fixed. Was no deck on it yet so I was eyeing up the frame and they sure made it heavy enough. 

As I understand it the def functions the same in the 5500 but it is programmed differently. It will not go into limp mode like this one. I read it on the internet so it has to be true lol. 

I'm sure the 5500 also has derate modes too.

5 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

I'm sure the 5500 also has derate modes too.

Was reading a bit more tonight again and the one I happened to see was a ambulance so they very likely have some different software for that application just like the military is exempt from the emissions from what I understand. 

On 4/4/2020 at 11:22 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Was reading a bit more tonight again and the one I happened to see was a ambulance so they very likely have some different software for that application just like the military is exempt from the emissions from what I understand. 

Emergency response vehicles still have the derate modes but the driver can override the system temporarily. Military vehicles have zero emissions controls.