3 hours ago, Zeke Boniface said:

"Male and fe-male created he them," Daphne read to me. "Zeke,what does fe mean?"

"Fee means it's going to cost good money to get something you want," I told her.

Pa dum bum.

Cap'n, good to happen by and see you here. I haven't had any IH crawler adventures lately, so there hasn't been much to write about. There is one TD24 post in the works, but, currently, I don't know enough to ask a proper question.

Zeke B.

Nice to see you stop by and check in. Miss story time with Zeke lol. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One for a quick restoration 

G'day Dave...!!!  one of the last posts  I remember from you , was in that ""word game"'......a rather childish pursuit on the Coffee Shop......I used to interject with some wildly way out word....you

since the Kingdom was a borrow pit and there are piles of rock shoved every where including the front driveway. there was never a problem with the big mound of dirt and rocks until I bought Thor the p

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Them are some crazy looking drive arrangements going on there

Sometimes thinking outside the box isn't necessarily the best answer

..mentioned this work going on, a few posts ago...…..I got these  very average pictures  from my very average camera....with my very average skills ….sigh......It is quite steep, and the whole block was eventually done....and to answer the question from    either  Lance  or Ryan...yes,.....this is to plant more Pinus Radiata....AKA     Monterey   Pine...(which  grows like a bloody weed in New   Zealand …)  This block is but a couple of K   from our place...'.up the gully'...….the Excavator operator is in a "five point harness "....I believe  it is a standard   rotary   wing harness,,,

The excavator is a 27 ton Hyundai.....which I believe is just several tons to heavy for this work...….This ..(my opinion )..is based on the fact that for six years I operated a 28 ton   Komatsu Excavator....shod, as is the Hyundai..on regular   bared grousers...…..this was logging on very steep terrain.....working, incidentally for Canadian's from Ontario..now settled in NZ.....These folk, were very nice , but coming from a totally based medical background, in Ontario, did not really have the necessary  'nous '  to go into logging....in very steep country...., I found , when pushed to extreme, the Komatsu  would slide   away downwards...even with tracks locked up...and a grapple is not a good brake …….Can be quite alarming at times...…!!!!

Anyway, the Hyundai, pictured , was anchored to a  twin drum   winches, off the big old Terex  ...at the top of the slope..I think you can see the ropes in one picture......No close ups..I was busy on another machine, miles away for the first week of NZ's  "lock down '...Time I got back, the pin had been pulled on all Forestry   work...….

Mike

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

• Like 1

…….While I'm  "hot to trot "  on this computer …….here are a few pics of my work for the last ffew months...….the paddock has been stumped  .windrowed ..and heavy harrowed, with the D53...…..Stumped with excavator...….about 30 acres, and windrowed   slash, without stumping   another   60 acres...Trees were 30 yrs old ...Stumps about up to 33inchs dia …..The big heap with the excavator up on it is one lot of logging detritus...(that means "rubbish"   Captain Crunch )...all off a Waratah head     ...so tons of saw dust/    slovens /waste  wood /  slash etc etc

The heap will take years to diminish.....  

Mike

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

• Like 1

Always disappointed me that a camera would not show the true slope I took pictures of a fire trail I had feet on dash to stay in the seat and did not show proper grade until I got old growth tree in background then from side put it in perspective 

• Like 1

Have you got many self leveling machines there mike? Not much good for cleanup work I suppose as I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a long enough stick to be of much value as you’d have to be working right infront of yourself all the time. 

That is some pretty steep ground to be climbing around on though. A long day of trying to hold yourself level in the cab would be hard on a guy. 

Sliding on some of those hills certainly wouldn’t be anything to be taken lightly. When they built the hydro dam north east of here on the Sk river there was a fellow killed running a cat in the river bank. He was clearing trees and pushing the bank down to get access. Something happened and he got sideways on the hill. It was all over after that. 

Some interesting set ups there captain crunch. Someone went to a bit of work fitting that hardnose on and setting that 14 up.  I imagine. 

That yarder operator is fine get fired for sleeping on the job if he’s not careful lol. 

PFL that’s a TD-14 142 one of the last 14s (1956) it had a frame and was factory fitted with hard nose got Gawd awful heavy frame for finals to rad over old frame got what is left of one my cast iron rock gards final drive gaurds winch and canopy Rear half came off got the fenders 1/2” steel that will probably never get put on to replace sheet metal ones Dr Ernie got hyd power assist attachment lots heavier machines all together solid boxed track frames IH’s final attempt to save TD-14 and 18 s

That 142 has a pretty interesting canopy fitted

Definitely not Rops maybe Jungle Gym?

Look at the one with B-È dozer that has been well tested both upright posts are triple strength pipe and square tubing is double strength all braced to frame while not a rops but if you went over it would hold you and screen would keep you inside wishing I had pictures of frame of donor cat belly pan had ripped off tearing bolts thru frame must have been a dull stacker pulling on it 

pictures of real cats working believe truck is an IH West Coaster with a mighty 220 come along 

7EDEF9D1-128F-4466-8811-69EDA3428AEB.jpeg

• Like 2
On 4/19/2020 at 11:38 PM, captain_crunch said:

PFL that’s a TD-14 142 one of the last 14s (1956) it had a frame and was factory fitted with hard nose got Gawd awful heavy frame for finals to rad over old frame got what is left of one my cast iron rock gards final drive gaurds winch and canopy Rear half came off got the fenders 1/2” steel that will probably never get put on to replace sheet metal ones Dr Ernie got hyd power assist attachment lots heavier machines all together solid boxed track frames IH’s final attempt to save TD-14 and 18 s

That’s for the lesson CC I wasn’t actually aware they had done that. 

Thats a impressive log in that last picture. Glad I don’t have to man handle that one lol. 

Note 📝 one cat has hard nose my phone won’t blow up pictures to read badge on fuel tank but guess TD-18 or 24 the smaller gypos like Dad started out with TD-9 and then when they got ahead up graded I found two main frame rails that all the bolt holes looked like spider webs never seen the TD-9 it was gone before my time but I heard the horror stories about it Uncle and I were hunting way out back of Ranch when he said someplace around here we put new tracks on the 9 sure enough poking around we found the old ones laying where they walked out of them on to the new ones and just left the old ones 50 years ago know approximately where trees 🌲 all growed up but remember bend in Crk but it is a BLM road with a Weyco 🔒 

I'm thinking the front one is TD24 and likely the back one also...nice period pics

CC on that TD14 hard to tell if it even has a blade on it...sprockets look at bit worn on that one

TD9 sounds like it was well used and might have had a wee bit of metal fatigue