Sign in to follow this  
captain_crunch

Old dogs

Wow 🤩 almost like I am not crippled seeing my friends on the bb again but have to be reminded by the empty chairs 🪑 of who are gone MrPig MB Cat and how many more 

Some are RIP

Others???

Sawmill, Restoman, MDiesel, R Cubed, Zeke, fshog, RCM, Spitzair....., I know a few are still out there and check in from time to time Pukeko, Ragnor

Sure had some good times, Sawmill could have powered up a small town getting the red folk all cranked up some evenings...lol

PFL what was Ricks handle from MB?

Ya was my nightly thing set in front of purer and vusit with my friends surely do miss it if we could get Sawmill out of his cave would make my day 

On 2/28/2020 at 5:14 AM, hardtail said:

Some are RIP

Others???

Sawmill, Restoman, MDiesel, R Cubed, Zeke, fshog, RCM, Spitzair....., I know a few are still out there and check in from time to time Pukeko, Ragnor

Sure had some good times, Sawmill could have powered up a small town getting the red folk all cranked up some evenings...lol

PFL what was Ricks handle from MB?

Colt 60

Havent talked to him in a while now. Last time I talked with him he was still working for Glen managing jobs. 

Was Rangor from over by Rocky Mountain House? Was looking g through my contacts and saw Ron and Gladys’s phone number. Couldn’t remember the handle from here for sure. 

' I was spending a lot of time communicating   with "Ron G"   but suddenly that stopped...He was very ill  att one point....I guess it caught up with him, eventually,,,....he always really enjoyed the 'phone calls   from New Zealand...…….Nothing is forever,  with these old blokes.....:rolleyes:

to my shame, I have yet to email    Captain     Crunch,.,,,,,,,I will......and it was really great  to meet him, back in 2015......in Lorane,   Oregon …….. and see first hand his  place etc

...he greeted my   then 53 yr old daughter, with a very amusing''' line.''.....we still talk about that moment....:)

Mike

Mike yes Ron G was excellent with his period pics with military equipment, was sad to see a memoriam topic for him on HEF

Colt 60 yes he had some great stories of squatch up north, walking away from equipment with fast springs on the sat phone for helicopter extraction

Ragnor is from those magnificent foothills outside of Rocky, not sure you have all the names right though my wife is Gladys:blink: then again maybe you do she loves the mountains and I haven't seen her in awhile :huh:

Unscrupulous Modifier was another down in AZ or NM with snakes laying in the chip tray of your lathe, not a pre equipment inspection required up here in the north 

AZ Nick....the list goes on

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Mike yes Ron G was excellent with his period pics with military equipment, was sad to see a memoriam topic for him on HEF

Colt 60 yes he had some great stories of squatch up north, walking away from equipment with fast springs on the sat phone for helicopter extraction

Ragnor is from those magnificent foothills outside of Rocky, not sure you have all the names right though my wife is Gladys:blink: then again maybe you do she loves the mountains and I haven't seen her in awhile :huh:

Unscrupulous Modifier was another down in AZ or NM with snakes laying in the chip tray of your lathe, not a pre equipment inspection required up here in the north 

AZ Nick....the list goes on

Rick had some adventures in the north that’s for sure. His last one with the mighty d6 and the helicopter rescue I’ll never forget lol. 

I was fairly certain I had the right names but can’t say for certain lol. It’s been a while since I’ve talked with him and I’ve gone through a couple different phones so contacts could easily have gotten mixed up. 

Theres been a lot of interesting people stop by here over the years that’s for sure. 

Old pokey was another one that used to stop by here and join in on the discussion. He’s just up the road from captain crunch I believe. Wasn’t grabatire the name of a member from souther Alberta too?

16 hours ago, hardtail said:

Mike yes Ron G was excellent with his period pics with military equipment, was sad to see a memoriam topic for him on 

Lance...….pardon my ignorance......what was the site of Ron's ''memoriam    topic "'    (bit slow with the deleting finger on the above...!!)…….and when abouts , roughly  ???

I would often chat with Ron's   wife/partner (?)…...when he was crook...sort of whilst he got himself to the "phone.....or the 'phone got to him....she was very pleasant to chat to....but no one answered  either  phone calls or email ...after that period when I figured he must have passed...…  After I used to phone him.....he would always send me a "PM" via this site.....to express his appreciation of the call etc....always  "made his day"..he would  say......sigh   He was  only a year older than me...I believe....but kept very poor health...Good bloke  was Ron...

Mike

Heavy Equipment Forums he passed July 28 2016

They have a section gone but not forgotten, he was a great guy!!! IIRC might have been prostate...reminder to all to go get it checked out regularly...

• Thanks 1

Sad we are getting old 

Mike I would have kept your daughter 🤗👼😇

Hardtail long as you and PFL are here all is not lost 

Seen Magicmikey posted so there are a few of us left 

Sawmill’s(Greg Poteet) his wife was not well 

• Like 1

Geez CC now Mr Newmans daughter...Ruskies, lovely care attendants, Kelly...you sure your accident wasnt Mrs Crunch discovering a trapline:wacko:

There are some of us left R99, Rocko has resurfaced...seem kind of scattered, not like the old days but still nice to see many back or still here

Sorry to hear for Sawmill think he was starting to provide care back then with little Riley who is probably over 6' tall now

31 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Geez CC now Mr Newmans daughter...Ruskies, lovely care attendants, Kelly...you sure your accident wasnt Mrs Crunch discovering a trapline:wacko:

There are some of us left R99, Rocko has resurfaced...seem kind of scattered, not like the old days but still nice to see many back or still here

Sorry to hear for Sawmill think he was starting to provide care back then with little Riley who is probably over 6' tall now

Have you still got your td18? (The name George is stuck in my head can’t remember if that’s correct or not for sure) ever get the td14 Daisy Dozer going? I remember Gladys joking about it one of the last times I was out there lol. 

George still here, sad to say everything still in same condition as a decade ago

Daisy still the same, Ragnor came up last summer and got some parts as he acquired a TD18, he got a sleeve off my neighbour, didn't dawn on me until the other day Spitzair said one hole on Daisy was pitted and maybe I should be doing the same...could have had a bunch of these years ago all the good ones set aside with their respective pistons in Rudy's shop but he passed and now that's all gone...

There is still the odd guy but they are getting fewer and far between

Then there is a TD6 sitting patiently watching a W9 and an 1135 Massey needing an engine job with bad head gasket

But alas there is hope, I got about 2-3 years left til retirement when finally they can all start to get some attention maybe not what they deserve but better than what they got

Now I'm up to 9 motorcycles a couple sleds and a 67 pickup, I better live to 90 and hope they keep making fossil fuels for a couple more decades...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

Then there is a TD6 sitting patiently watching a W9 and an 1135 Massey needing an engine job with bad head gasket

But alas there is hope, I got about 2-3 years left til retirement when finally they can all start to get some attention maybe not what they deserve but better than what they got

….huh  !!…….that Lance is what I thought ……..but alas....the best laid plans....sigh.....I am virtually  full time on land development  work....on a big sheep and cattle station, operating   their 21 ton Hyundai   and a D53   Komatsu dozer...…...

Mike

I could have retired last fall but think I'll stick out 2-3 more years, everyone at work thinks I'm nuts...what will you do...if I started today probably still wouldn't finish it all

My Dad and I built my new house in 2001...25 yr shingles...well I need to reroof this summer after year 18...but I digress

All my buddies that have retired say the same thing, should have gone sooner, don't spend the same amount of money not working, maybe but still need some cheddar for the wolves

The biggest wrinkle for me is this climate change greenies gonna save the world movement and let's ban coal (my current heat source) and internal combustion mandates by EU leading the way

Might have to start selling my beloved motorcycles now while they are still worth something and keep one or two as the bridge to extinction....just not sure how electric is gonna work in our climate and of course they never comment on the fuels burnt to generate it...Alberta sitting on 200 year coal reserves we pay more carbon taxes than the coal costs domestically but you can export it to anywhere else in the world for them to burn with no tax

Well we have ringside seats to watch this play out, us dinosaurs will be done right when the Dino fuel is finished

• Like 1

Sorry Crunchie threw both tracks on this one...:blush:

It is good to see CC and Rocko both back.  It would be great to hear Crunch and Sawmill go at it again!  They had the most entertaining fights about IH v Cat in logging.  I learned a lot from them.  I miss Mdiesel as he had lots of good info on the gas starts.  Ragnor is another one I haven't thought of in a long time.  Lots of good people missing from the site over the years.

Always enjoyed being able to share what I knew about these old beasts and trying to make Thirsty a repica of Dad’s 14 and log the same ground 

D150 just reappeared welcome back

Sure not many of the old engine machine shops left. We have one here about 30 miles away but he covers the whole central to northern part of sask now. Just a few guys in the shop so turn around times have started to get pretty long. He did a bunch of the work on our sprayer motor but it was at his shop for two months basically.  Was one other larger shop that had gotten to be a bit of a hack shop but they had a big inventory of parts that they ended up selling pretty cheap at the end. Lots of older Detroit parts. Not a lot of ih stuff there though that I could find. 

Just got a Edmonton snowfall warnin as I was typing this. We’re under a heavy snowfall warning here too. Close to a foot they’re calling for. Should make for some nice riding if it comes through. 

Some of these environmentalists are pretty naive I think. Some of them think there’s just a switch we can flip and move over to electric or green energy. 50 years from now I can see it happening but the next 10-20 years I just don’t see it happening. 

Have you looked into geothermal yet for your place Ht? I know a few people around here that are quite happy with it but they are on sandier soil. Heavy black dirt or clay I hear it doesn’t work near as well. 

Picture I took the other day when I started the D7 up. Thought CC might like it to sort of get things back on track so to speak lol.  Was -34 the day before but had warmed up and was starting to thaw so. I figured it was as good as time as any to fire it up and move a bit of snow.  Still working on getting the blade polished up. It’s a lot better then when I got it but still has a ways to go.  Figured I’d dig up a couple other pics while I was at it. Goes back to a couple years ago when I was cleaning up a small bush that used to be around that slough. Beavers had moved in when the water was high. Managed to get it cleaned up and most of the slough farmable now. I’d been watching that little spruce tree growing for the last 15-20 years now so I couldn’t go ahead and knock it over too. Dad tried his hardest last spring though with the harrows lol. I thought it was done for. I took the Volvo loader out and pushed a couple 4x4 posts down into the ground about 5 feet and tyed the tree back upright. Piled up dirt all around it with the skid steer and so far it’s surviving. 

08D58EF6-8FF9-4F9D-8AF5-D45DC4215206.jpeg

8FAEF90E-775C-4AB8-8AE0-156D4716F8FC.jpeg

34B124CD-E1DF-423A-B546-ADC0CDD3BF5A.jpeg

On 3/6/2020 at 11:23 PM, captain_crunch said:

The 2 pictures are not over 500 yards apart 

4FE5D07A-C186-4903-BFF5-550DA4C6F75B.jpeg

45DD9FD9-3D26-493B-BEF4-069026A961EE.jpeg

It’s nice to have those old photos to look back at. Kind of neat to compare and even more so when you can log the same area again. Don’t think I’ll see the day that any of our cutovers are logable again. Trees grow to slow here when they only grow two months of the year lol. 

This timber has had 65 years to grow 60 years is a about growth cycle but we had a freak snow ❄️ storm of 5 ft in 69 so lots of broken tops and snow breaks beings timber was at just right size to be damaged once in a lifetime crop and that happens but I have learned crap happens 

As for mr Newman’s daughter don’t think swamp dwellers qualify unless we lived at cabin on hill and that might prove a little stressful on a lady