2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Correct, no military aircraft will show up. 

Head shakin' mode here, depends upon setting the transponder!

best, randy

3 hours ago, exSW said:

I guess military doesn't show. Couple Hercs just buzzed over(not unusual). Didn't show on Flightradar though.

Head shakin' mode some more!  ALL aircraft civil/government/whatever using the airways system have T/sponders.

best, randy

• Confused 1

There must be a few choices how they operate , it might be a year ago there were several RAF planes using an Airbase at Vegas .You could pick them up and watch them fly in figure 8s and circles for hours. Occasionally one flew across a couple states and back into Vegas . I don't remember precisely what plane they were ,wide body converted to cargo and personnel is all I can remember.  

8 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Head shakin' mode some more!  ALL aircraft civil/government/whatever using the airways system have T/sponders.

best, randy

Could altitude have something to do with it? They were right down on the deck(as usual).

2 hours ago, exSW said:

Could altitude have something to do with it? They were right down on the deck(as usual).

Chuckle, chuckle, we used to do that a lot, I (now ) forget the name of it  but we used to do it a lot trying to set off the ADIZ penetration alarms.  "Terrain hugging" comes to mind.

best, randy

41 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Chuckle, chuckle, we used to do that a lot, I (now ) forget the name of it  but we used to do it a lot trying to set off the ADIZ penetration alarms.  "Terrain hugging" comes to mind.

best, randy

“Tree hopping” is the phrase I’ve heard. <grin>

5 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

best, randy

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

“Tree hopping” is the phrase I’ve heard. <grin>

ONe time at a branding we heard this roar/rumble over the top of the branding stove for what seemed like a few minutes. 

Then all of a sudden this monster cleared the hills. Think it was a B52 or something close to it and heading NE to SW. 

Everyone just stopped and stared. It was flying so low and slow it looked like it would fall out of the sky. (maybe a half mile or so away)

Back in the day before phone cameras. Made a big impression. That thing was HUGE!!!

About 20 years ago me and my parents were down at my sisters visiting. Mom and I were in the house and dad was out in the yard with my brother inlaw. I could hear this awful roar all of a sudden just like snow sliding off a tin roof only it was louder and lasted a little longer. By the time we could think about what it was it was gone again. Brother inlaw and dad came in to tell us what it was as they had a front row seat. Here it was a fighter jet flying just over the tree tops going like what seemed Mach 1 lol.  Brother inlaw figured they were headed to the military base at Moose Jaw. 

On 3/13/2020 at 3:09 PM, sandhiller said:

flying so low and slow

Chuckle, prolly 250 knots indicated.

best, randy

I once saw a B-36 fly over our farm in Michigan, but I don’t remember it at all dang it!  

How’s that? You may ask? Here’s the deal. My Dad used to tell me about it. He told me I was only 2 years old at the time. My Dad was home that day and he used to tell me how he heard the B-36 coming out in the distance.

He took me outside with him and spotted the B-36 coming and brought it to my attention. He told me he how he kept pointing it out to me in the sky and telling me what it was. He told me of how I watched it intently as it droned overhead. I can’t remember it at all dang it. I don’t remember anything in my life until I was about 4 years old. 

So once in my life, I actually saw a B-36 in flight, but I was too young to remember it. NUTS! That’s torture. 

My now deceased uncle used to tell me that some group was planning on getting a B-36 restored to airworthiness back in the 1970’s in Texas, but that effort fell short. He said they actually fired up an engine or two, and then apparently they ran out of funding. I wish I could learn more about this. 

Randy, would you happen to have any knowledge regarding this effort from back in the 1970’s to get a B-36 flying again? 

Apparently the last flight ever by a B-36 was in 1961, when a B-36J model was delivered for display to the U.S. Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. 

6 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

would you happen to have any knowledge regarding this effort from back in the 1970’s to get a B-36 flying again?

Yeah, but that effort to get a Peacemaker" restored fell apart, w-a-y bigger effort than they'd realized at the beginning.  

best, randy

5 minutes ago, Randy Sohn said:

Yeah, but that effort to get a Peacemaker" restored fell apart, w-a-y bigger effort than they'd realized at the beginning.  

best, randy

It would be really interesting to know more details about this. Did anything ever get documented or photographed about this project? I wonder what ever became of this particular B-36? Did it end up being scrapped out? Sad. 

All righty then.... I decided to do some research on this this morning. I came up with this.

The Texas B-36 that they tried to get flying back in the 1970's was up in Fort Worth, Texas. A group called the Peacemaker Foundation. Apparently it sat up there for years, but in 2006 it got moved to the Pima Air Museum in Arizona. So at least it didn't get scrapped, that's good. I'll have to get out there to see it some day.

Here's the info I found:

https://www.airplanesofthepast.com/b36-peacemaker-restoration-to-airworthiness.htm

How many flights are being canceled?   Just pulled up the site. A flight from London to Denver going over west central Minn. And hundreds if not thousands still going. 

Wouldn't want to be crammed in one of them now.

7 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Good grief, I lose track, when I was still on active duty with the USAF I was stationed at Offutt AFB in Nebraska at one time.  Can recall w-a-y up at the far end of the inactive runway 03 (nearest to Bellevue) SAC had several airplanes parked up there and recall once taking a photo while standing near one, a parked B-36.  Must be that one that's now at their SAC museum since an overhead photo here on this computer doesn't show anything there.

best, randy

21 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

best, randy

The layperson wouldn't realize that the prospect of restoring/operating a B-36 isn't just somewhat more difficult that a B-17/24/29, it's EXPONENTIALLY more.   Not to mention that Fifi, Doc, and the others make a lot of their tour revenues to keep them going at moderately sized municipal airports that couldn't  handle the size and weight of a 36 even when it's not combat loaded.