Some younger guys put this on my phone after the fire meeting. 

Fun to play with

Said they got it it in the Google app store.

Screenshot_20200227-234549.thumb.png.8f42daab71922d1449ae1ef636647fa6.png

If you click on a plane, it gives you flight information

Screenshot_20200227-234628.thumb.png.91cc91499d14d8972e237a4872420fc6.png

• Like 4

I’ve had it on my phone for about 4 years now. It’s neat to look up and see where that plane is going that’s flying over top of you. If you get the paid vs there’s quite a bit of info available on each plane too I hear. I’m cheap so I haven’t purchased it lol. 

• Like 2

Ive had it too.Daughter looks up the planes in the sky when we go on our evening walk sometimes. To see where their going . And tracks her mom when on business trips...lol

I've looked at it before. It just amazes me just how many flights are taking place at any one time 24 hours a day.

• Like 3

Ya I use Flightradar24 all the time. For fun mainly, but especially when wifey goes on business trips I can track the progress of her flights and it also gives me the planes tail numbers so I can keep track of which exact plane she is on. As a hobby, I keep a log book  of the tail numbers of all the jets we fly on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomH said:

It just amazes me just how many flights are taking place at any one time 24 hours a day

What was amazing to me was when we first got TCAS, the collision avoidance system, in the late '80s. Holy crap! All of a sudden we could see that in a terminal area we were surrounded by other planes we couldn't pick out by eye. Our eyes just don't have the resolution. That had always been obvious when ATC would call out opposite direction traffic and we wouldn't see them until about 5 miles or less (unless they were leaving a trail), but seeing all the planes around you on the display really made it obvious that see and avoid was pretty much useless at speed. It's only gotten worse in the ensuing decades.

ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) was mandated January of this year. It cost me a new transponder for my Cessna but now I have an ADS-B receiver that displays traffic on my iPad so I have traffic information even in my personal plane. I didn't mind the $2500 it cost me to comply with the mandate.   

• Like 2

When you get it loaded into your phone go look at places like San Diego and Amsterdam or Singapore. 

They make the sky’s above Nebraska look pretty quite. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

When you get it loaded into your phone go look at places like San Diego and Amsterdam or Singapore. 

They make the sky’s above Nebraska look pretty quite. 

Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world!

i would have thought Heathrow or LAX or something.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, New Englander said:

ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast) was mandated January of this year. It cost me a new transponder for my Cessna but now I have an ADS-B receiver that displays traffic on my iPad so I have traffic information even in my personal plane. I didn't mind the $2500 it cost me to comply with the mandate.   

That has been a God send for sure, even for the cost. Doing my private at home we never had anything like that, but we didn’t have much traffic at all. Since I’ve come up to school, the amount of traffic is insane and ADS-B is a lifesaver for sure up here. Even though we’re not moving anywhere as fast, spotting traffic is easier and helps maintain situational awareness. 

• Like 2

I see they are mostly big passenger planes. Although I did see a helicopter by Denver and a turboprop over SD.  Can I assume that to be tracked they have to file a flight plan???

They have the same thing for ships at sea and for Lake Boats.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I see they are mostly big passenger planes. Although I did see a helicopter by Denver and a turboprop over SD.  Can I assume that to be tracked they have to file a flight plan???

They have to be squawking a transponder, FR24 is not actually showing primary radar returns.

• Thanks 1

Amoungst other sources, Flight Radar is primarily using ADS-B.

Since it's mandated for all aircraft in the US, except those without an electric system - read antiques, the coverage is nearly 100%. Not only was ADS-B mandated but it was also mandated that it be ON all the time. Surprisingly we have to manually turn it on in our jets while my Cessna is automatic based on ground speed. As the Cessna slows to an impossible ground speed and the GPS altitude suggests it's on the ground it switches to ground mode. If it was equipped with a squat switch as retractable gear aircraft have it would be wired to that. On takeoff it switches to air. Some jets are automatically switched but ours are not. In ground mode it transmits that it's on the ground so that surface movement guidance systems are able to use it, especially helpful in low visibility situations. It's also very helpful where there are blind spots on the ramp where the ground controller can't see planes.

In addition to thousands of ADS-B receivers on the ground, Flight Radar uses satellites that are also receiving and relaying aircraft positions. SAT ADS-B will likely be the future in oceanic and remote airspace. We presently use ADS-C or Automatic Dependent Surveillance Contract over the high seas and in remote areas. The contract means that you log onto the controlling entity, such as Gander or Shanwick in the North Atlantic and establish a contract for position reporting. It's a major improvement  over verbal reports we used to have to do over HF radio. In addition we now use CPDLC or Controller Pilot Datalink Communications. Another boon. A typical crossing is two HF calls, one to Gander to get a SECAL check and the same crossing 30 degrees west to Shanwick. Upon receiving a good SECAL, Select Calling, a way the HF listens for calls on its own, we're done talking, those are the only HF calls we have to make. HF communications vary from excellent to non-existent depending upon solar activity. Pretty auroras often mean poor HF. 

As the name suggests, ADS-B broadcasts who you are,  position, altitude, speed, and course to anyone receiving, there's no log-on and contract. It's like RADAR coverage but better in many cases.

• Thanks 1

Not quite sure how it would work but assume if on a situation out in the middle of nowhere. You could track Life Flight on its way to your location.

I know they want a radio frequency to contact us when they get close. 

Same with SEAT plane (VTAC freq.) when we have them assist us with a fire.

This thing is addictive.

Screenshot_20200228-231052.thumb.png.15318f9d7c9997c39b1503a252f16999.png

• Like 1

At the moment there isn't a plane within a hundred miles in any direction. 

Just now caught this one flying over my place

Going from San Francisco to Montreal

Niobrara river on the left

114381639_airplaneoverhead.thumb.jpg.0bf711901b4cbdbff9809e6c7e908aad.jpg

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Just now caught this one flying over my place

Going from San Francisco to Montreal

Niobrara river on the left

Chuckle chuckle, you made me recall  the days of my youth, listening to the noontime SUX markets on WNAX (570) Yankton and about some load of "sandhills" cattle.  (We fatterned steers on our farm at Lake Park, IA (near OTG - Worthington).

best, randy

• Like 1

I live about half way between SF an LA within 10 or 15 miles of the ocean. Thirty years ago a nice spring day it just struck me that all day there was at least one big plane in site. Most of the time it was 3 to  6 . Yes one of the days the jet trails stayed 5 to 10 minutes so easy to keep track as I cultivated ground to plant. 

When I get board talking tractors may have to look and see how many are spewing carbon over my head. 

• Like 1

I use the basic version of this quite often while sitting at an airport waiting for my plane to come in and keeps me up to date with it's arrival time. Also, from my home which is situated in an elevated location with extensive views, it can be interesting to see what is flying around, including our local rescue chopper. 

• Like 1
On 3/2/2020 at 4:29 AM, Aussie John said:

I use the basic version of this quite often while sitting at an airport waiting for my plane to come in and keeps me up to date with it's arrival time. Also, from my home which is situated in an elevated location with extensive views, it can be interesting to see what is flying around, including our local rescue chopper. 

Interestingly you can scroll the map and go around the world and see what's up in the air. Also, I find myself looking up planes in the sky above me when going from pasture to pasture. 

The flight for life ones interest me most. 

I guess military doesn't show. Couple Hercs just buzzed over(not unusual). Didn't show on Flightradar though.

Correct, no military aircraft will show up. 

Speaking of FR24, last week I was goofing around with it and you can filter for specific aircraft. For grins and giggles I applied the filter for the 737 Max, not expecting to see any. I zoomed out to get the whole U.S. on my phone screen and I'll be danged one showed up. So obviously it was on a test flight. I'm surprised they let it broadcast its presence on FR24. You'd think they would want to keep any Max test flights hush hush.