I'm looking for a set of hub mounted duals for the 1066. During my search I've been told there are two different axle lengths for the 1066 and depending on the offset in the duals I buy they may not fit. I've also been told that the diameter of the axle could be a 3 1/4 or 3 1/2. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a bit and can't measure the width or diameter of my axle.  

Before I pull the trigger on a set I've located what do I need to know to get the correct setup? 

• Like 1

I highly recommend not buying anything until you can get out there and measure. Can't begin to count the number of times I bought something, and it ended up being wrong because I assumed a dimension or other fact. Then I get to buy again.

For example there is a slim chance that both, or worse, ONE, of the axles in your 1066 have been swapped out for 3-1/2" due to past abuse/damage.

• Like 1

1066 are 3-1/4”.  The chance that they got swapped out for a different size is very slim.     The duals you need will have the center disc at the edge of the wheel.  Pretty much even with the inside of the tire.  These will be the ones you need for short axles and they will work on long axles.  Hub may need to be clamped closer to center.     This of course depends on row spacing you are trying to accomplish 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I may be wrong but wasnt the last few black stripe 1066s upgraded to the 3.5 right before they went to the 86 series?

No, not from what I understand about them

• Like 2

But, parts were very interchangable.  Previous owner may have bought an entire axle assembly off a 1466 and installed on a 1066.  Or there was always the one customer who "If you want my business, then I want the bigger rear axles & bull gears on my 1066 because".....and the dealership puts together a special build in the back shop.

One of these days, I gotta track down my dads 1066.  We had a 806, a 1066, a 1486, and a 4386.  I would have sworn the axles on the 10 and 14 were the same, the 806 & 4386 were smaller.   Now you guys have got me real curious....too bad I sold the 10 before I knew to measure.

11 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I may be wrong but wasnt the last few black stripe 1066s upgraded to the 3.5 right before they went to the 86 series?

This 1066 was built the last month of production and it has 3 1/4”  axles.

55F9317A-68AE-4242-8034-61E3019FD04F.jpeg

• Like 7

I recall seeing a picture of a 1066 black stripe with 6-hole 1086 style hubs on back somewhere. Obviously that doesn't mean that it was factory, as it could just as easily have been done by parts exchange, even going so far as to swap in a complete 1086 rear end assembly.

55 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I recall seeing a picture of a 1066 black stripe with 6-hole 1086 style hubs on back somewhere. Obviously that doesn't mean that it was factory, as it could just as easily have been done by parts exchange, even going so far as to swap in a complete 1086 rear end assembly.

It wouldn't need a 1086 rear for that and that wouldn't mean it had 3 1/2 axles neccesarily either. That was one of the changes made leading up to the 86's, but still is a 3 1/4 axle. Plenty of blackstripe 1066's around with 6 hole wheels, our 806 even has them on after the clamp style wouldn't hold up. 

You never know what the last ones came with. If you google it on here about 8 years ago nobody thought 1206s came factory with wedge lock wheels. Big debate about it. I sure thought the one of ours did. Now the other day long farms posted the casting date and wheel number of a factory equipped late serial no. So that and his other tractors made 3 or 4 out of the factory with parts they were not supposed to have. I wouldn’t be surprised if the last 1066 or 66s had parts from other series.

3 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

It wouldn't need a 1086 rear for that and that wouldn't mean it had 3 1/2 axles neccesarily either. That was one of the changes made leading up to the 86's, but still is a 3 1/4 axle. Plenty of blackstripe 1066's around with 6 hole wheels, our 806 even has them on after the clamp style wouldn't hold up. 

I have never seen an 886 or 986 with a 6-hole hub. All 12-hole, whether 34" or 38", clamp or wedgelock.

If IH made 6-hole hubs for 3-1/4" axles, surely they would be common on those tractors.

Just in '76 there was a lot going on with black stripes. An early 66 black stripe has alot of differences between a late model black stripe. All the late production black stripe 66s with 38" wedgelocks were 6 hole wheel centers. 1066 and smaller models with 3.25" axles could still have the 34" or 38" clamp on wheels and clamp on wheels remained 12 hole during entire production of 06-3#88s. Ive heard that very very late 1066s had a 3.5 axle. Ive never seen a 6 hole 34" wedgelick for either 3.25 or 3.5 axle. Will be neat to see one surface one day.  Guy in IN with 15th to last 1066 has 3.5" axles. He has no reason to lie to me or gain from it and hes not a man to lie or fake something. I have yet to see actual proof or see it in person. It wouldnt suprise me, just the right person hasnt noticed and brought the proof to the table. 

29 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I have never seen an 886 or 986 with a 6-hole hub. All 12-hole, whether 34" or 38", clamp or wedgelock.

The 986 we had had 6 hole hubs. Im almost certain of that. It stuck out as different against the 12 hole 786 we have. Ill have to find pictures of it to confirm it but I'm 95% certain it was 6 hole.

39 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If IH made 6-hole hubs for 3-1/4" axles, surely they would be common on those tractors.

As of June 16, 1976,  6-hole wedge lock wheels were available in 30", 34", and 38" sizes for the 3.25" and 3.5" axles.

Travis

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Sparky said:

As of June 16, 1976,  6-hole wedge lock wheels were available in 30", 34", and 38" sizes for the 3.25" and 3.5" axles.

Travis

Here's a service bulletin about it. 

image.thumb.png.c8dd7ceffe065a91f8b87d567d158b7b.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Long Farms said:

Just in '76 there was a lot going on with black stripes. An early 66 black stripe has alot of differences between a late model black stripe. All the late production black stripe 66s with 38" wedgelocks were 6 hole wheel centers. 1066 and smaller models with 3.25" axles could still have the 34" or 38" clamp on wheels and clamp on wheels remained 12 hole during entire production of 06-3#88s. Ive heard that very very late 1066s had a 3.5 axle. Ive never seen a 6 hole 34" wedgelick for either 3.25 or 3.5 axle. Will be neat to see one surface one day.  Guy in IN with 15th to last 1066 has 3.5" axles. He has no reason to lie to me or gain from it and hes not a man to lie or fake something. I have yet to see actual proof or see it in person. It wouldnt suprise me, just the right person hasnt noticed and brought the proof to the table. 

See here we go. Like I said before . It was debated on here about 1206s. I thought for sure our had factory wedge locks. Actually changed my mind that it didn’t . You post a picture of yours and casting dates plus a few more and we know they came with them. Now you post a 1066 you say has the big axles. Which it is late enough to have them. Someone posted a picture of a 1586 on a pull type combine. It had the overflow bottle on side. If you read about that tractor it actually was fitted with an inline pump 466. Not from factory but ihc changed it.

It would be very very rare for a 1066 to have 3.5" axles .. I think the 3.5" ten bolt hubs are more common than the 3.25" ones . 

I know where there is four sets of 3.5" ten bolt hubs and wheels for 1250 a set but you have to get all 4 sets .....

I didn't realize that the late 1066  had three and a half inch axles I pre delivered a lot of the black stripe tractors and I saw the change in production on that rear cast wheel the oddest thing that I've run into was a 6788 with planetary axle housings in the back like a 1586 , same housing with a three and a half inch axle the guy that owns that told me that he was told they only made about 20 of them clear at the end. Steve