vtfireman85

starter help

20 hours ago, db1486 said:

Funny how things go. We went through 2 or 3 wilsons within a year and a half and finally gave up. Got one from Dixie electric and it's been all of 10 years. Might have just been a bad batch at the time because we've had good luck with other wilson products, but the auto parts store was just as fed up as we were.

Who knows , seems you find some decent quality parts then they turn to junk. I got a 3406E cat that the starter wouldn"t disengage . We had it rebuilt ,same thing 2 times in a row.

Bought a wilson and its not did it in 2 years.

My napa guy pushes them too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

Who knows , seems you find some decent quality parts then they turn to junk. I got a 3406E cat that the starter wouldn"t disengage . We had it rebuilt ,same thing 2 times in a row.

Bought a wilson and its not did it in 2 years.

My napa guy pushes them too.

A starter that will not disengage needs a new shift fork from the solenoid to the starter drive.

First starter guy rebuilt ours ,2nd one I walked in with our rebuilt one later that day and exchanged for one he had on floor . Im sure it was cheap solenoids

I replaced it today, the new starter seems like it is good quality, it started very enthusiastically, I shut it off a few times and it started almost too quickly. I AM however going to order a terminal crimper I need to be able to make my own cables. 

FDB6EBA6-FE5C-4D20-9FF8-9020E4ADEA17.jpeg

B2609140-5A84-4C48-968E-FAE4FA9480F3.jpeg

• Like 2

I'd recommend one of the hydraulic cable crimpers. I've had one of the off brand for 10 years and never had an issue and it fits in tighter places than the long handled ones.

Vt, I have always had a pair of these on my service truck. Very very handy. Mine are Thomas Betts , and more expensive than this pair but the indexable head works nice. Especially for smaller stuff. I think It only goes to #2 so may not be exactly what you need but figured being a sparky you might consider these too. 

Screenshot_20200227-212422_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Thanks 1