966 shifting issue

JaredT

We have a 966 with some issues and need some ideas. Dad had the tractor and set the parking brake, got back in the tractor, put it in gear while forgetting to take the park brake off. The tractor stalled and couldn't get it back out of the range gear OR pull the park brake off. I finally got the shifter plates at the bottom of the steering column realigned and got everything working again. It has happen one time since. I am sure I have to pull the top off of the transmission as I have full range of motion on the park pawl shaft but the park break doesnt hold, that doesn't worry me that much, it is what it is. My question is how could have this happened when the shifter roll pin isn't sheared and the park break linkage seems to engage the shifter plates really well? I can fix the transmission,  I want to fix the reason for the failure before I fix the transmission. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Jared

6 minutes ago, JaredT said:

We have a 966 with some issues and need some ideas. Dad had the tractor and set the parking brake, got back in the tractor, put it in gear while forgetting to take the park brake off. The tractor stalled and couldn't get it back out of the range gear OR pull the park brake off. I finally got the shifter plates at the bottom of the steering column realigned and got everything working again. It has happen one time since. I am sure I have to pull the top off of the transmission as I have full range of motion on the park pawl shaft but the park break doesnt hold, that doesn't worry me that much, it is what it is. My question is how could have this happened when the shifter roll pin isn't sheared and the park break linkage seems to engage the shifter plates really well? I can fix the transmission,  I want to fix the reason for the failure before I fix the transmission. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Jared

I just rebuilt all of the shift linkage on my 966, and there is no way that thing could go into a gear while the park brake is engaged, UNLESS there's a roll pin sheared, or there is something really wore out.

There is supposed to be a spring on the park linkage underneath the floorplate that keeps the park lever in position.  Is the spring there, and does the lever stay up on its own without falling?

A 966 would have had the park set up where the linkage would hold the pawl against the gear I beleive. There is a kit that will update the park to the 86 series style that uses the heavy spring. I put one of those kits in a 1566 after it took off once without me.

7 hours ago, bwop2017 said:

There are 2 rotating plate plates on the shift linkages by the top of the transmission on the right side that wont allow you to go into gear with the park engaged. 

I know there are times I can get my 966 in gear with it in park. I haven't decided  yet what is wrong with these plates that will allow that to happen. 

8 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

I just rebuilt all of the shift linkage on my 966, and there is no way that thing could go into a gear while the park brake is engaged, UNLESS there's a roll pin sheared, or there is something really wore out.

That's my thought but everything else works and turns. Typically if the bottom roll pin shears it wont go into gear, park is not an issue.  

8 hours ago, bwop2017 said:

There are 2 rotating plate plates on the shift linkages by the top of the transmission on the right side that wont allow you to go into gear with the park engaged

That's what I thought until this happened. I got the plate realigned to get the tractor operational again, but I didn't take note of what the plates did to cause the issue.  

8 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

There is supposed to be a spring on the park linkage underneath the floorplate that keeps the park lever in position.  Is the spring there, and does the lever stay up on its own without falling?

All of my linkages have a little wear, which is being addressed now, but nothing is more than a little wear. The spring is operational and quite strong. The park linkage isn't the updated one, bit it always engaged without flaw. 

My bigger concern is in the shifting plates, how did it go into range while the park lever was down? I have tried to replicate it in the shop and it hasn't missed a beat. Wondering if someone has seen this and how to prevent a problem down the road. 

Thanks again for all of the info, it is greatly appreciated. 

Back when I was a wee lad, moving tractors around the field, I managed to do it to the 756. It just dropped right into park; the park linkage just slipped right past the plates like they weren't even there. I think it was in Hi range so the reverse plate was lined up, but it just slid on by the Hi-Lo plate, whichever plate is on top.

To look at it under normal circumstances, there's no way that linkage could come up unless those slots in the plates are lined up over the park link. But, it did while the tractor was in gear, and quite effortlessly.

This was going on 40 years ago. The tractor was practically new at the time.

Dad was able to get it freed up in the field without pulling anything, I think with nothing more than a crescent wrench and a draw pin. He was a bit perturbed to say the least, so that probably offered a bit of a strength boost.

How did we prevent it in the future? Did I mention that Dad was perturbed? Suffice it to say I ALWAYS made sure the tractor was in Neutral before dropping the park lock from then on.

• Haha 1

You said park doesn't hold in your first post. And that it wasn't the updated one, but it had the spring. I thought  only the updated ones have the spring? (But we did all of ours 20 years ago and  I cant actually remember what the non hd spring one even looks like. I have been shifting our stuff for 30+ years, some tight, some worn, I've "stuck"  them in the reverse/hi1 locked up situation a few times....when in a rush...frustrated...on a grade and in a rush.  But I've never had a lever go into gear with the park linkage working and adjusted. So, I'd start there. 

Park doesn't hold since the first time it happened. Dad had it on a hill, had it in park and got back in, put it in high range and let the clutch out. Killed the tractor, tried pulling park out, got it half released and the tractor started rolling down the hill. It didn't stop until the bottom of the hill with a loaded 1037 stacker pushing it, the whole time the park brake was slipping on the gear. It held fine until dad tried to release it and it wouldn't come all the way out, binding on the shifter plates that somehow slipped past it. I am sure I have park brake issues now, be it the pawl bad or the gear or both, but I want to prevent the possibility of this happening again. The spring on it keeps the tension so the handle stays up from and doesn't self activate by dropping into park. I believe the update adds a spring loaded mechanism to the linkage in case the tractor is put into park still rolling, it can slip without damaging anything. That's the way it was explained to me anyway. 

Again thanks for the responses, if nothing else it is making me double what I have checked already. 

Yep, every time I try it. I can't make it fail again no matter what I do. I comes up into the reverse plate, then the range plate. Someone mention it happening to them going into high range and both times it happened to us, park was engaged and put into high range without removing park, once to dad and once to me. It was a brain fart on our part both times, but this tractor has multiple operators and some are inexperienced, so I want it fail proof to prevent issues. 

Thanks again

Some of the things that happen are pure magic and one can rarely replicate.

Like a shift lever locking in two gears.

A little slack, here and there, adds up to a lot.

Lift off the cowl ahead of the steering wheel.

Then wiggle the range transmission lever.

If you see slack, fix it.

Check all the double roll pins. 

By the time you get to the range transmission cover, you should have taken out 90% of the issues.

It should not go into gear with the park lock engaged.

You may need to adjust things so it works as it should.

It's just years and years of use that makes things wear out and get sloppy.

PS: The angle iron that bolts to the bottom side of the deck and holds the range transmission deck piece can be put in wrong and effects the park brake. Usually that will prevent the park brake from working properly and fully engaging. It don't sound like you have this problem.

8 hours ago, 3588pfcred said:

When the detent arms and rollers under the cover are wore out sometimes strange things happen

We change the rollers and the detent bracket last year when we did the TA. 

5 hours ago, bkorth said:

I'd be willing to bet the ends of the turnbuckle that adjusts the park brake are bent.

I actually check all of the linkages and nothing is bent. The reverse linkage and range linkage on top of the transmission both have a little play in them and I have to pick up pins and replace all of that. That is the only play in linkages. Probably 1000 hours ago, I replaced all on the ball joints and tightened everything up.  That is the part that frustrates me,  I cant find an obvious solution. 

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

I have a older 966 with a Shifting problem. It’s hard to get it in reverse. You can move the gearshift over to the reverse position and sometimes it mite go in reverse. But most of the time it just grinds. Than I have to go back to neutral and try again to put it in reverse several times before it goes it reverse. Any ideas how I can fix that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 10:03 PM, Brian keith said:

I have a older 966 with a Shifting problem. It’s hard to get it in reverse. You can move the gearshift over to the reverse position and sometimes it mite go in reverse. But most of the time it just grinds. Than I have to go back to neutral and try again to put it in reverse several times before it goes it reverse. Any ideas how I can fix that?

Check the adjustment of the transmission brake.

So I realized that I never followed up on my post, my apologies. The park brake issue was solved when we found the shifting lock was just high enough to once in a while slip into range with the park brake still on, a little adjustment took care of everything with that. The shift linkages all got drilled out and oversize pins installed and the thing shifts like new. Thanks for everyone's input, the park brake had me stumped, it was just so it would slip past and only did it once in a long while. 

On 4/7/2021 at 11:03 PM, Brian keith said:

I agree with checking the transmission brake adjustment, along with clutch and T/A also. Once everything is set right, if it's still a problem then I would look at the shift linkages for wear and slip. Our 826 was really sloppy shifting when I finally got her back running. I had to tighten up the shift levers on the shaft in the quadrant area. All it entailed was to add a few shim washers and slide everything on nice and snug. Be careful not to slide everything too tight on the shifter shaft or they will bind up. It's really not that big of a job, good luck.