M tractor as motor grader FOR REAL?

14 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ok, I think I got this figured out.....we find two of them and you keep “yours” at my house so I can tell the wife I’m storing it for a friend and I will keep “mine” at your place so you can say the same and we are both doing a solid for a buddy so the better half can’t get onto us?  Whadda ya Tink?

lol works until you get caught buying parts for "someone else's" machine ... sounds like a double funeral in the making. ☠️

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Helpless as a flounder in deep snow or ice I bet 

I dunno, it’s heavy and with irons it might be decent. When we get real snow here all the towns use graders with wings to move snow banks back 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I dunno, it’s heavy and with irons it might be decent. When we get real snow here all the towns use graders with wings to move snow banks back 

Use'ta do that here also, saw it a lot, then they seemed to progress to using rotaries.  

But this M conversion was only used on the township's gravel roads in the summertime 

best, randy

18 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Maybe not the road, but if you had a long driveway you could fire that peach up every couple weeks and keep things in pretty good shape after a hard day.  It would be therapeutic for me

It would be therapeutic indeed. I wonder how big of an area you would need to turn it around? 

18 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

IIRC, they changed that in (circa) 1948 or 49.

1949 I believe 

Back to the M configuration, Allis Chalmers also had a set up like the M pictures. 

This fine machine sold for  Contract Price $4,510.  I was naive enough to think it could be had for 2K or less.  Old equipment auctions appear to have a life of their own!

21 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Back to the M configuration, Allis Chalmers also had a set up like the M pictures. 

I think at one point everybody did even JD.

• Like 1
On 2/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

1949 I believe 

Hey, thanks!  Knew it was somewhere thereabouts.  Our M was a 1951 and it'd been done by then, decal said a straight McCormick.

best, randy

On 2/24/2020 at 3:51 PM, oleman said:

Farmall M tractor

• 4.1L four cylinder gas engine
  • Manual transmission
    • 4F-1R gears
  • Trojen Speed Patrol blade
    • 10'W
    • Side shift
  • 7.50-18 front tires
  • 13.6-38 rear tires

DC3353.JPG

From what I have seen in old advertising photos I don't think they originals had decals. Mine is not drilled in the nose for the Farmall emblem. Trojan bought skid units and converted them. The one pictured has Farmall rear wheels. Trojan rears are heavier special wheels. I really like mine for building roads or leveling sites.

On 2/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, IHhogfarmer said:

It would be therapeutic indeed. I wonder how big of an area you would need to turn it around? 

1949 I believe 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:43 PM, Randy Sohn said:

Seemed "old hat" to me, when I was still back home on the farm (until I left for the USAF in 1953) Hermie Stumpf maintained our Ewington township (MN) gravel roads with one.  Notice that it's hoodside decal says McCormick-Deering.?  IIRC, they changed that in (circa) 1948 or 49.

best, randy

I believe that the decals on the side of the hood were changed between 46-47 model years. I have an A that should have the McCormick Deering and not just McCormick

My Cub was made in Feb of ‘48      (latest casting dates I’ve found from Feb). It says McCormick-Deering  for decals. I’ll have to look again in the Steiner parts book but I’ve seen a change over for July 1949 in there for decals. 

Not saying your wrong Tim, just justifying what I know. 

On 2/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, Randy Sohn said:

Concur.  That and "road grader" or "road patrols" were common terminology used for any of those machines used for doing road maintenance, be they "Cats", "Gallions" "Austin-Westerns" or whatever.

best, randy

Same where we lived - road grader or maintainer.

10 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

My Cub was made in Feb of ‘48      (latest casting dates I’ve found from Feb). It says McCormick-Deering  for decals. I’ll have to look again in the Steiner parts book but I’ve seen a change over for July 1949 in there for decals. 

Not saying your wrong Tim, just justifying what I know. 

Guy Fays book is where I have seen it I think.. I do know that my A I didn't find the correct decals for in '90 when I painted it last. It needs paint again drastically 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 9:43 PM, Steve C. said:

Same where we lived - road grader or maintainer.

Yup, you're correct, I forgot to say "maintainer".  But it sure was also used.

Separate deal here also, can recall Hermie Stumph had a converted Farmall M that he used on our township's gravel roads.  And now that I saw "Trojan", IIRC that was the name!

best, randy

I have a buddy that has one ,  I've run them a lot there is a few in our part of the country good machine for keeping the driveway tuned up