Impulsive purchase IH T-9

"pull a spark plug? " yes first thing to do. u bet that is standard procedure to oil the cyl's for an engine sitting so long. dump in 1/2 cup into each cyl. to lube up the rings  and any rust from condensation. any light oil like ATF , mystery oil or 2 stroke oil. good to let sit for a few days as the oil will run into the oil pan and lube pistons and rings. plus it will give you compression to get it started.  and roll engine over slowly. plus good idea to pull valve cover and check the valves for sticking and oil them to.  plus checking the compression will tell you if any valves are stuck. then drain all that old garbage oil out and let drain overnight. ideal would be to remove oil pan and clean all the sludge out. could be quite a job on there if it has belly pans.

my W9 gas tractor had been sitting for over fifty years since 1967 in a shed also.  its a nice original unit like you got  there.  it starts and runs like a champ. plus it has the original 6 volt system on it that all works including the lights. 

Thank you for the offer Lorenzo. I sent you a side note.

Rustred I am planning to soak this engine for awhile and work it manually to make sure everything is coated before I make my “first start in 50 years” video for YouTube haha.

After transport I found some very good looking amber colored oil on the dipstick so it wasn’t totally dry in there. Also planning on pouring a few cups of oil on the valves but thinking I better have a new valve cover gasket before I do that. It does have a belly pan so I need to think about when to clean out the oil pan. The big jobs are piling up lol. I can tell you that front belly plate has at least 100 pounds of dirt and who knows what else sitting in it. Hoping there is something cool buried in there. Maybe a dropped tool, gold coins or even better an International emblem. I’ll keep you posted. Work is preventing me from getting up there today.

Charlie

Good luck, they are great machines. I know some people out there don't like that a majority of those machines carried "pig iron" around, but jobs need to be done, skid plates are heavy, use a come along hooked to both sides to help lower and lift it into place. Or if possible a floor jack. Plenty of machines in this area are in great shape thanks to all the armor they were outfitted with to do the tasks a disc, or plow couldn't even think of doing. Look forward to seeing all your progress.  Thanks for helping restore a great piece of history

Mark

1 hour ago, FatCharlie said:

Larry those look amazing. Can you zoom out so I can see that tractor a little better?  haha

It’s just an old 560. You know the ones that won’t start , the rear ends ALL exploded and flew out the back scattered over three counties like the Roswell flying saucer . Just ask the experts on here they will tell ya all about them old 560’s but since you asked here she is . 15D3DF7D-B64F-4A9B-9AA2-93D48A29A3AB.thumb.jpeg.b58d09ddda75b557d222bf426dd5885e.jpeg69610BD9-0439-4893-83F7-0A0BD0D775F2.thumb.jpeg.e9273fd62a18d5c3886866cf23b4ab79.jpeg1AA23197-7ECD-4745-B088-FF203DC3A2AD.thumb.jpeg.bb3e4ea201466259eec842073f2b02c3.jpeg

I like these lights on the back, I keep this one on so I can  watch all the rear end parts flying out the back . 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, lorenzo said:

It’s just an old 560. You know the ones that won’t start , the rear ends ALL exploded and flew out the back scattered over three counties like the Roswell flying saucer . Just ask the experts on here they will tell ya all about them old 560’s but since you asked here she is . 15D3DF7D-B64F-4A9B-9AA2-93D48A29A3AB.thumb.jpeg.b58d09ddda75b557d222bf426dd5885e.jpeg69610BD9-0439-4893-83F7-0A0BD0D775F2.thumb.jpeg.e9273fd62a18d5c3886866cf23b4ab79.jpeg1AA23197-7ECD-4745-B088-FF203DC3A2AD.thumb.jpeg.bb3e4ea201466259eec842073f2b02c3.jpeg

I like these lights on the back, I keep this one on so I can  watch all the rear end parts flying out the back . 

…..yeah....sigh......I guess you had to tow the darn tractor out there for that photo shoot......perhaps you use a 660   IH for that ???

...neat pictures  ,Lorenzo, I remembered you posted that pic some time ago...… possibly  the  last time you towed it  out...…:D....ol'560 looks tough  !!

Mike.....

• Thanks 1

Dang no startin' 560's. I parked and drained mine last fall because I planned on feeding with the Allis cab tractor. Had to move it the other day. Filled it with 50/50, hits the starter,rolled about three times and fired off. 45* and not plugged in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to spend some time on the T9 and starting to get into it pretty good. I don’t know if you ever heard of dirt daubers but they have really done a number on the engine. There was mud and dead bugs all in behind the plugs and in the manifold. I pulled the head yesterday to start trying to get all the sand out. I broke two head bolt unfortunately and they don’t seem to be readily available on the interweb. Anyone know where to get replacements for stud 52789D and 52790D? I am going to catch **** getting the broken studs out of the block too. 

I was able to clean up the engine and the block is red!! There is red paint in multiple places in the machine. I am starting to think it was originally red and painted yellow at some point?? There are other reasons why i think it could be just an engine swap. Or maybe WWII broke out and IH switches it from red to yellow? No idea what’s going on but it’s fair to say this machine is probably not original. I think the distillate manifold may be all that’s left of the old engine and the engine on there now is gas?? It looks like the block number has been intentionally ground off which adds to the confusion. Hoping someone can shed some light on this one. Thanks!

D83F74AD-BA5D-4C05-B2DC-8F8050518E1A.jpeg

0A996FBB-DB2D-4519-A837-0CEFA4516E14.jpeg

02089AB3-3852-4AD4-844B-47EB7BA8F1AF.jpeg

A28FC858-7C8A-4AD2-BE29-3FB48E4E8264.jpeg

D2A25692-FED4-4BCC-8551-2AC0DD818E85.jpeg

B63463E3-7E31-47FF-85AF-76D5FC2CF754.jpeg

so the exhaust pipe was not covered?  those broken studs will be a BIG problem now. might be pulling engine and sending to machine shop. should have been gentle on those nuts. there is ways to get them loose. show a picture of that ground off serial #.  that red paint don't mean much.

Rust it’s not the serial number. I can’t find a serial number on the engine anywhere. Shouldn’t it be under #1 plug? I was talking about the raised number on the casting being ground off (first picture is the best one I have of that). The exhaust was not covered when they stored it because the bugs where all inside the manifold and the combustion chambers. The head studs are a serious issue and you’re right I may have to pull the engine if it comes to that.

ExSW yes that is a really nice two door Laredo. It’s about as mint a car as you will ever see. It belongs to a friend. 

Any ideas on new studs? Can I have them made?

• Like 1

We don't have dirt daubers up here thank goodness but looks like they cause fits down there.

You might be able to get a couple studs from a wreckers, ARP may have a kit, I would probably machine them and you have different options for removal

Thx for the update I've been wondering how you were doing

Many original red machines were repainted yellow by IH for free at one point

myself I would have blown all that junk out of the cyl's with air, as it is just loose stuff. I would have got it running first and diagnosed from there. check compression, use it see if it burns oil and so on.   it would have been easy to get running. as parts for these engines are hard to find and expensive. don't know how far your plans are as for its restoration and working it. on a thing like this tear down is kinda a last choice thing cause it will be a money pit now. but I am just saying what I would do , as I do things differently.  ya probably get heck saying its not my project. but there is times you have to reason things out. it you have no experience removing those studs its best for someone who has. could try drilling a small hole" EXACTLY" in the centre of them. that's the most important! heat them up red and let them cool. even repeat. and put some wax on it. then use an easy out care fully to see if they will come out . DO NOT FORCE IT. if you BREAK the easy out off your done.  another option is to drill them to proper threading hole size and rethread them.  it's a job that takes finesse  not a butcher job. 

I will look on my w9 to see that engine number. clean off that flat spot above front lifter cover to see if any engine numbers on it. I did have a block with some studs in it but gave it away.

Well it's no sense going on about what you would have and what he should have done now, I don't know if that nest would have been that loose to come out, the job now is to get the broken off studs out without more damage, RR has some success proven methods to get them out and there is nothing easy about easy outs. 

On 2/25/2020 at 4:42 AM, R Pope said:

W9 sleeves and pistons are hard to find! And rods and mains too. They are kind of an orphan, CIH doesn't sell anything for them. Just an aside, the magneto turns the opposite way to all other gas IH engines. Same way as the diesels, though. Don't let it put you off, though! The gassers are nicer to run, especially on quick little jobs, and they seem to have more power than the diesels. Never could understand why they never built a Super W9!

The gas rigs did have a few more HP than diesel

The diesel mag from TDx will work on the Gas engine Tx but they run hot

MagChart.jpg

weighta.jpg

Here are my numbers on my T9 c.43

Blocks were cast and warehoused for a min of three months to cure so the casting date is just that the date which the part was cast; production date is on a tag and stamped somewhere on the frame. My tag had been remover (quit crudely) So I still in search of other production date

T908.thumb.jpg.b169e076f5266254c9e950bfb3b11c8e.jpg

893881743_T9Numbers.jpg.a65fb63ac6d3e7dea06f6152bdd80e0e.jpg

23 hours ago, hardtail said:

Well it's no sense going on about what you would have and what he should have done now, I don't know if that nest would have been that loose to come out, the job now is to get the broken off studs out without more damage, RR has some success proven methods to get them out and there is nothing easy about easy outs. 

yes I totally agree, too late now. but when a grey haired person has been to a few rodeo's and around the block a few times with this old stuff  you just don't start rippin an tearin .  lol. glad its not my dollars spent to learn. 

Thanks for all the feedback and good info Fat Dan.

Yeah Rustred looking back I may have been a little aggressive. I sometimes leap before I look.  With the amount of dirt in there around the pistons I think I made the right call. Having said that, if I could go back in time I would leave it closed up and stick a power washer in there and take my chances. I just got a crash course in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" haha.

I drilled one of the bolts today. Went through four titanium coated bits and made a pretty nice 1/4 inch hole almost right down the center. I had the hole flanked by magnets to grab all the little bits. The stud wouldn't budge with the easy out and I couldn't get heat in the right spot due to my cheap propane torch and the remaining studs all in the way. My first priority was not to get anything stuck in the hole so I called it a day after an hour of overly cautious drilling. Went and bought a better torch and some cobalt bits on the way home. Also picked up a small metal chisel so hopefully I can coax them out (in pieces if necessary). I'll keep you posted. 

I found a rubber plug in the water pipe just above the water pump. It was intentionally blocked. Does that mean the pump is likely broken? Was he letting the water flow by spilling out of the upper radiator tank? I'm having trouble understanding how water would circulate well enough without the pump. Anyway I am going to pull the pump off and see if i can fix that too. Any comments appreciated. 

FatCharlie

what your doing wont work with that toy propane torch...   you need a cutting torch and then once the hole is drilled in the stud heat that stud RED HOT, almost yellow hot.then let it COOL by itself. the try easy out, if still stuck repeat the heat cycle. there is all kinds of room on that head to use a cutting torch. lots of time you wont believe how easy they come out! and as for that stuff on pistons it would have come out also. leave  spark plugs out and give her a pull in gear!  stuff would be flying out like you never seen. plus it could have been loosened up with a long screw driver . as for water pump it can be fixed also. there is a brass nut in front that has packing behind it that can be replaced if brgs are good.  if it leaks just tighten the packing. and that plug is not to be there. it should have a thermostat though. 

I bought acetylene this time but I can borrow a cutting torch. I was worried i might warp the head or do more damage if I put too much heat but not now. How cool does it need to get before I try the easy out? Should it cool completely? I will pull that pump and see whats going. Thanks man