Impulsive purchase IH T-9

sure wash as required but kinda avoid where water can get into trans. and be careful around engine. should be lots of generators people have removed from tractors, nothing special there.as for the starter you have to answer that yourself. do you have experience rebuilding starters. ? and yes you have no option but to run on gas. so what is that serial #?

6 minutes ago, FatCharlie said:

Can that chain be welded up? Are more cracks likely if there is one?

yes it can but you need an experienced welder to gouge it out then weld it. you have to check all cracks out.

Congrats on rounding up your parts and getting it budged to roll out

I can't see the crack you are talking about but I'm not sure if it's the angle of the picture but it looks like the carrier roller is tilted supporting the track weight, maybe it's me?

Any case really nice straight original machine, a true barn find...

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Congrats on rounding up your parts and getting it budged to roll out

I can't see the crack you are talking about but I'm not sure if it's the angle of the picture but it looks like the carrier roller is tilted supporting the track weight, maybe it's me?

Any case really nice straight original machine, a true barn find...

...agree   with you, Lance, on this point !!!!……..Most unusual to see  cracks in track chains...…(Ahh,,,,,,,,the exceptions   are made in China...….)  especially without a blade on that beautiful old tractor....and also considering   the "stationary "   hours she might have run......turning the belt pulley

,,Yeah.....that is a  seriously   good find...….

Mike

Just funnin with you Mike, I know you hate the tons of pig iron hung off these old girls disguising what might be a nice old crawler underneath and the wear of all the components hauling all that armour around

I agree in the unlikely hood of the rail cracking, can happen but given the duty this one saw...they are probably original, no webbing on the links

Thanks for the comments and info everyone.

Are the cracks circled in yellow the ones your talking about? I had to use the flash under there. They almost look like shadows. Or maybe I want them to be shadows haha.

Hardtail-the roller in the the last picture below is definitely angled towards the ground. Is that what you were looking at?

B2764D0D-510F-4315-B690-AA3321F4B192.jpeg

E7B33FA9-09EB-4DD4-B280-AFF15949E13A.jpeg

FDA5746B-28DF-4C4F-A9E7-3B1BC36C7667.png

That's all I saw and I would say it's shadows from an edge wearing?

The roller will likely need some new bushings, hopefully the shaft is still ok

I loaded up the T9 yesterday and brought it home with me. I had a tough time finding anyone to do it at a reasonable price so I did it myself. I rented a big Dodge diesel for $99 and it pulled hard and stopped fast. I was able to borrow a trailer with about 1/2 inch of clearance between the fenders and the tracks. Had a tractor push me up on the trailer. The clutches and breaks worked to steer me on so that was incredible. I assume they aren’t frozen ??

Can anyone direct me to the correct manuals for this machine? Seems like all the ones I am seeing are from the 50s and 60s. I was hoping to find one that speaks to the 1941 distillate engine. 

Thanks

AC7164A1-2A2A-444B-9099-D59EE9627C49.jpeg

269F37D3-9A46-425F-ACEC-887E97D5E5AC.jpeg

That looks even cleaner out in daylight, did you find the other light? The tracks look ok again, did you see any crack?

Must have been a load for that trailer those look like lighter axles...

I think a lot of the manuals got superceded so a 50's manual would probably do, there is a new place for manuals that has better prices and great reviews, I'll see if I can find it for you.

just clean it all up and run on gas for now .

war time books will be hard to find  late 46-50 should be close

choose book carefully no copies or lay flats/cd etc    < $100 should get EVERYthing

call mike becker on pricing if he cant find originals   go no more $ for good reprints....be patient and wait for used  ,about 25% less than mike but his are generally  AA+

Thanks for the tips on the manuals I will email peaceful creek and see what they have for the T9.

No I didn’t find anything else on this last trip like lights. I did pickup one more bucket of odds and ends but no lottery hits. 

The trailer was slightly undersized but did great. I think we loaded it a bit forward of center. 

There are no cracks in the UC. Even that roller that looked bent is straight. Those flash pictures made it look like cracks were everywhere on the underside. I checked every spot and couldn’t find anything that looked like a crack. 

Thanks

That's great I couldn't see any cracks

I checked and they have both the engine and crawler tractor service manual for T9 both for $55

Sorry couldn't post the link

1/2" clearance loading, can't get much closer, good news on the brakes and steering, doesn't look like the tracks chewed up the trailer deck much either 

……..as "Hardtail "   said...….the old girl looks even  better out......than in !!…..A real bonus is the grill and bonnet   being in good shape...….Even hardtail   would acknowledge the fact  that had that tractor been crippled    with the period blade gear...….the  aforementioned  panels would have been  totally knackered......

I have a TD  9    from the  same era...….have a replacement bonnet available in Australia...none to be found in New Zealand......Yes, it had blade gear...….and yes,   that crap is now in China.....

I found a grill.....unused in a cow cockie's    shed......removed when his Dad purchased   the TD back in  the late Forties...….also 'found'  the radiator shutters in his cow shed.....being used as a small vented 'window " !!!

Well, Fat Charlie, you have a winner there !!look forward to seeing it running …..:)

Mike

Thanks for all the comments. I’m feeling really good about this decision. It’s so cool that we live in a time when you can share a project like this with other knowledgeable people that love “tinkering” on Internationals. Thanks to all you folks for showing interest. I woke up the other day so excited to realized I have an International tractor under my roof haha!!

Of course it comes with baggage when you’re a family man. My wife couldn’t find her keys this morning and she made a comment that if it was the key to that tractor I’d know right where it was (I am pretty sure there was a F bomb mixed in lol). Hopefully my marriage can survive this tractor but if not I’ll miss her.  

I added some pictures of one of the lights I am opening up. They don’t manufacture anything like this anymore. Talk about built to last.

A7B04D6E-BC89-427D-A9B5-443D0A49D4B0.jpeg

40D41556-54D6-45A2-9DE1-94563AC474F0.jpeg

3C9D2747-B861-478F-817E-F96CD8A2D530.jpeg

• Haha 1

The tractor is still on the trailer covered with a tarp. It’s been raining and blowing since I got it back. Unfortunately the roads at the farm are too wet and muddy for me to try and pull it to the shed. The farm is about an hours drive from my house and I can’t get up there as often as I would like. 

Going tomorrow afternoon and acclimating myself with the machine. Every time I have been around it other people have been there to distract me so I’m glad to be going alone. Maybe I can throw the bonnet and muffler on it to see what it looks like. Pull a spark plug? Check on the mag and starter? I plan to rebuild the starter as long as it isn’t total junk. 

The plan for the T9 is to use it but also to preserve it. Maybe haul downed trees. Pull a harrow. Also I want to run a box blade on the farm roads. I’m working on getting a 7’ wheeled grader with manual wheel jacks so I don’t need hydraulics (pic) Also will pull an International 10 grain drill trailed by a Brillion cultipacker and a sprayer (if I can get it running by then). To plant our dove fields. 

8E649B1D-EAF1-4958-8C22-FC5840A9815E.png

• Like 1