Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TwinDad

312 Vs 282

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I have a TD-6 62 series dozer with a 282 needing a rebuild in it. My Dad just found a 312 for sale in his local paper which is supposed to run good for $500 and I wanted to know if it would be an easy swap and would it be worth doing or should I just go ahead and rebuild the 282. Thanks for the information,

TwinDad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't believe the 312 is  the same family of engines, i think they are more like a 361 in an 806, but i'm sure it could be done, may have to modify rear engine plate or make one, i bought a short block from central tractor when i did the engine in my 656 rowcrop tractor, back in 2000, i thought a 282 was a 282, so i ordered one not knowing serial number, i put  it in and had head rebuilt, it didn't seem to sound the same or have the same power curve, then i found out my 656 takes a 281 and they are a little different, i put a reman out of a 560 in it which is a 282 found out by calling central tractor and tracing serial numbers on the blocks , so be carefull, stuff will all bolt up off a 281 but it has different governor and engine rpm torque curve slightly different crank. thankfully it was fine just had more low end torque but less rpm, my opinion after running it on same jobs as before. oh and i would very much like the contact info on the 312 if you don't use it as i have a 666 just itchin for it ! lol 'jeff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MR. IHC said:

i don't believe the 312 is  the same family of engines, i think they are more like a 361 in an 806, but i'm sure it could be done, may have to modify rear engine plate or make one, i bought a short block from central tractor when i did the engine in my 656 rowcrop tractor, back in 2000, i thought a 282 was a 282, so i ordered one not knowing serial number, i put  it in and had head rebuilt, it didn't seem to sound the same or have the same power curve, then i found out my 656 takes a 281 and they are a little different, i put a reman out of a 560 in it which is a 282 found out by calling central tractor and tracing serial numbers on the blocks , so be carefull, stuff will all bolt up off a 281 but it has different governor and engine rpm torque curve slightly different crank. thankfully it was fine just had more low end torque but less rpm, my opinion after running it on same jobs as before. oh and i would very much like the contact info on the 312 if you don't use it as i have a 666 just itchin for it ! lol 'jeff

 

what is a 281 in a 656 ? I have been working on 656s since they were brand new  and never heard of such a thing! As far as putting a 312 in the engine is quite a bit longer and the rear seal is in the back plate which is a smaller od if its from a tractor application you would have to get a backplate from a 766 -1586 and modify it . Any thing can be done but its not an easy swap if you starter comes in from the engine  side of the flywheel a tractor bell housing will not work  wont be cheep or easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 4/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, R190 said:

what is a 281 in a 656 ? I have been working on 656s since they were brand new  and never heard of such a thing! As far as putting a 312 in the engine is quite a bit longer and the rear seal is in the back plate which is a smaller od if its from a tractor application you would have to get a backplate from a 766 -1586 and modify it . Any thing can be done but its not an easy swap if you starter comes in from the engine  side of the flywheel a tractor bell housing will not work  wont be cheep or easy

was told that by the ag dealer when i asked about it (281)and no i don't mean a 450 diesel engine (i have one of those too), just looked all over google and find nothing, may be useless information i've been carrying around for 20 years, all i can say is the 656 engine and the 560 engine were different may just be rpm i don't know. i know they sold 2 different engines from central tractor depending on serial number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the "dealer" was misinformed. A 656 has a D282 6 cylinder. A D281 is the F 450 gas start diesel as you said. A D312 is a a smaller displacement brother to a D360. A D360 has nothing in common with a D361.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TomH said:

I would say the "dealer" was misinformed. A 656 has a D282 6 cylinder. A D281 is the F 450 gas start diesel as you said. A D312 is a a smaller displacement brother to a D360. A D360 has nothing in common with a D361.

was under the impression that the 312 was dry sleeve like the 361, i see now that they are wet sleeve , sorry my mistake, wow tough crowd, i'll stick to trucks i guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MR. IHC said:

 

was told that by the ag dealer when i asked about it (281)and no i don't mean a 450 diesel engine (i have one of those too), just looked all over google and find nothing, may be useless information i've been carrying around for 20 years, all i can say is the 656 engine and the 560 engine were different may just be rpm i don't know. i know they sold 2 different engines from central tractor depending on serial number. 

I think you got sold a line of bs from somebody trying to cover their butt the main difference between a 282 in a 560 and a 656 is the front cover and the injection pump has a speed advance instead of a load advance rpm is close to the same. Maybe they gave you a 236 by mistake or something similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, R190 said:

I think you got sold a line of bs from somebody trying to cover their butt the main difference between a 282 in a 560 and a 656 is the front cover and the injection pump has a speed advance instead of a load advance rpm is close to the same. Maybe they gave you a 236 by mistake or something similar

Knew I wasn’t crazy

8BCF9EA9-896D-481A-A3D6-A09CC1F80192.jpeg

C187893F-3DBA-4346-BD33-8232624B8CE1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, R190 said:

what is a 281 in a 656 ? I have been working on 656s since they were brand new  and never heard of such a thing! As far as putting a 312 in the engine is quite a bit longer and the rear seal is in the back plate which is a smaller od if its from a tractor application you would have to get a backplate from a 766 -1586 and modify it . Any thing can be done but its not an easy swap if you starter comes in from the engine  side of the flywheel a tractor bell housing will not work  wont be cheep or easy

 

6B406D57-CEAC-450E-A28B-AA4AD2CA2482.jpeg

5B5EB482-4601-4014-9691-B1768CFC08A5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR. IHC said:

Found this, not gonna say its not wrong just sayin I ain’t crazy

No your not crazy it was still called the d-282 engine take 3 11/16 bore by 4 25/64  you get 281.7 cubic inches IH called this engine a D282 pure and simple what others not connected with IH  called it does not matter There is no 281 6 cylinder IH diesel engine. for the printing of that book they rounded the wrong way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  a couple other. confusing things for you guys as long as this is getting thrown around.. 

Very first gear drive 656 diesel used a speed advance injection pump.   Wasn't long and they changed to load advance.   

Then the hydrostatic drive 656 Diesel was introduced and it used the speed advance pump and higher rpm's much like the 706 for rpm's.  

All 656 . used D 282 engine .   The main difference in any D 282 engine is light fit sleeve, heavy press sleeve or sleeveless in combines etc.  Many changes were made over the years to improve reliability just like all makes and models. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pete, good info. Here's more, there was a D281, its a four cylinder gas start diesel, they were in the very last of the TD6-61 series. The TD6-61 series came with a D264 four cylinder gas start, there was a big bore kit (sleeves and pistons) that increased the bore from 4 inches to 4-1/8 inches to increase the displacement to 281 cu. in., they used this big bore engine in the last of the TD6-61's.  The D264 was also used in the IH 450 tractor. There is also the BD281 four cylinder engine used in the British BTD8 crawler tractor. The British BD281's were direct start engines. Mr. IHC may have had a parts guy that did not know his stuff, these are old tractors. I have seen the D282's called a 281 in some off beat literature, IH always called them D282's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D282 good motor worth rebuilding but check for cracks both head and block and carry extra head gasket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 3:08 PM, TwinDad said:

Hello,

I have a TD-6 62 series dozer with a 282 needing a rebuild in it. My Dad just found a 312 for sale in his local paper which is supposed to run good for $500 and I wanted to know if it would be an easy swap and would it be worth doing or should I just go ahead and rebuild the 282. Thanks for the information,

TwinDad

im am sorry your thread got hijacked by a couple of grumpy old men (myself included) if you end up needing a "slip" or rear plate for a 786 as someone said above pm me i have one i won't be using i'll give you a deal, again sorry  'jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

No worries. This is excellent information and is very interesting. I am going to rebuild the 282 instead of trying a different engine. Seems to make the most sense as then I don't have worry about trying to make something work. The rebuild price on the 282 isn't that bad especially compared to the price of rebuilding the DT-817 that my dad has in his TD-25.

TwinDad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read.I am looking for a motor for a 766ih and someone has an 806 motor but i was told  they won,t interchange,as in bolt up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...