mader656

Tornado fence wire

Tornado fence wire anyone use it? I'm deffinatly interested in installing it. Every installer who has used it loves it. It's high tensile wire from the UK.  Consistant tension and wire tensile so it's all tight. 

I want unbiased opinion because it would be a large commitment financially to bring in as no one local stocks it.

Location location location. In the more colder and more hotter climates I’d say you’d be adjusting tension by season if your fairly moderate no so much. 

But I’ve been drinking 

John

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Weapon said:

Location location location. In the more colder and more hotter climates I’d say you’d be adjusting tension by season if your fairly moderate no so much. 

But I’ve been drinking 

John

The beauty of high tensile is in its springyness and can take up such slack

2 minutes ago, mader656 said:

The beauty of high tensile is in its springyness and can take up such slack

I had about 10 miles of high tensile electric fence when I lived up by Sandhiller, and it wouldn’t stay tight. We had better corners for it than I did for a 4 wire barb wire fence. 
I am not a fan of it, other then it is cheap. 

43 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I had about 10 miles of high tensile electric fence when I lived up by Sandhiller, and it wouldn’t stay tight. We had better corners for it than I did for a 4 wire barb wire fence. 

It’s very dangerous too! We had a neighbor who lost an eye working on high tensile fence. Wether he was tightening it wrong or what, idk. 

9 hours ago, mader656 said:

Tornado fence wire anyone use it? I'm deffinatly interested in installing it. Every installer who has used it loves it. It's high tensile wire from the UK.  Consistant tension and wire tensile so it's all tight. 

I want unbiased opinion because it would be a large commitment financially to bring in as no one local stocks it.

When I first read this I thought it was wire that got balled up in a tornado 🌪😱

one of the farmers that i grew up working for whose son now rents/row crop on our place runs cattle and has it, i have done some goose hunting on his place and he uses STRONG springs on his to keep it tight and I asked him about it. He said it works find and bites hard on the cows.

He winters cattle on a 60 acre patch by his house that I have hunted on. The wire was always guitar string tight - it took some muscle to pull the opening to drive thru. He uses one strand electric and his corners are HEDGE posts. 

I never asked anything deeper than that and he never said anything more - im pretty sure if he didnt like it he would change it. He doesnt have time to jack with things that cost him time and he has plenty of $$$ to do something different. 

thats my only experience with high tensile wire - all my other is standard electric wire, woven electric tape, barbed and barbless. 

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

How was it tied? Just twisted or was it a high tensile knot?

20 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

It’s very dangerous too! We had a neighbor who lost an eye working on high tensile fence. Wether he was tightening it wrong or what, idk. 

When I first read this I thought it was wire that got balled up in a tornado 🌪😱

You do have to be careful

Also im referring to the mesh high tensile 9 49 6 1348  etc not just a few single strands

I'm not a fan of electric fence being the main containment...i thing a physical barrier is needed...

So we are on the same page..

Titan_949-6_roll.jpg

15 minutes ago, mader656 said:

How was it tied? Just twisted or was it a high tensile knot?

You do have to be careful

Also im referring to the mesh high tensile 9 49 6 1348  etc not just a few single strands

I'm not a fan of electric fence being the main containment...i thing a physical barrier is needed...

I don’t know how he was tying it. But it was a single strand type of high tensile. 4-5 wire fence?

I’m not a fan of electric fence for perimeter fences. Give me 5 strands of Barbed wire or a roll of fencing like you linked to with a strand of barb on top to keep cattle from reaching over and stretching it out. 
A well built fence is something you look at once a year, maybe change a post in 10 years. Other than that, let the cattle out and forget about it. Cows won’t work a good fence, but they’ll push over a poor fence every damn day. Just because they can.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mader656 said:

So we are on the same page..

Titan_949-6_roll.jpg

My neighbors who run around 700 pairs use quite a bit of that style fence. Not sure on brand. They normally have good luck with it until this past thursday when a bunch of weaned calves decided to go through the stuff they had behind their barn. Not sure if the fence went dead or what happened.  They came and got my portable welder Friday morning and went back with all pipe post and continuous fencing in the area anyway.

photo shows paige wire /horse fence

went out in the 90's here, for hogs needs buried 3' ....use to get 20 years out of it then 10 then 3  

very easy to break in cold, rots away  anything but a horse, including hunters rtv goes thru under or over it

needs posts every , 10'   barrels of staples,once mis shaped easier each time to get out.

6'  h well pipe like you do, is best .... next   8 high 4 hot barbed on locust posts, then multiple sourced/circuit backup hot traditional  7 st  ,6'  single HT     anything less it throw away like label says.

near barns is rub rail or 2" pipe ..converting to 4" pipe and i beam.... 8 x 8 PT posts are beginning  to fail    RR ties use to give 20y....less than 3 if you find any now

Some of that style put up for buffalo fence. Don’t know the brand though it is about 20 years old now. Everybody is talking about the high tensile barB  wire now.  Used to be red brand wire was the best now it isn’t any good. You are right on having a proper tie off on any wire. 

…….I doubt wether  any   thing but   10 gauge   high tensile   is used here......Standard practise   in New Zealand would be seven wire  fences.....with permanent     strainers fitted …...On the Station were I am currently   operating, the Fencers   are at full on . following flood damage.

There is always  fencing   competion s at Farm Field  Days   events etc...Great to watch those  blokes setting up Strainers/stays etc 

...and , of course all  netting as pictured above is high tensile ...from low height to  deer netting

Every thing is fenced here in NZ...it always interested me , when travelling   in the USA...to see  no fences for miles  and miles off major roads     I guess it is because there is just stock where ever you go in rural NZ...….and after all.....NZ is just about all rural !!

Mike

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

…….I doubt wether  any   thing but   10 gauge   high tensile   is used here......Standard practise   in New Zealand would be seven wire  fences.....with permanent     strainers fitted …...On the Station were I am currently   operating, the Fencers   are at full on . following flood damage.

There is always  fencing   competion s at Farm Field  Days   events etc...Great to watch those  blokes setting up Strainers/stays etc 

...and , of course all  netting as pictured above is high tensile ...from low height to  deer netting

Every thing is fenced here in NZ...it always interested me , when travelling   in the USA...to see  no fences for miles  and miles off major roads     I guess it is because there is just stock where ever you go in rural NZ...….and after all.....NZ is just about all rural !!

Mike

Gallagher wire and fencers were popular here now another product can’t think of name now is taking over.we have some non permanent 2 wire high tensile electric. I hate electric fence though. Neighbor from Montana put up about 20 miles of 5 wire good barb fence that is what we like around here.

Here is the high tensile stuff  we  use .bekaert  and zaraba are the others.

BFAE38D8-B1D1-4507-8C93-E9A3CB790BB1.png

F31162E3-146F-413C-A6D8-D854C8F48408.png

Here is picture of couple guys stretching the bekeart brand. I would use this or the tornado brand instead of smooth single strand high tensile in feeding areas.

BB6176EE-A91B-436D-8092-1B037F5DD7E7.png

12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Here is picture of couple guys stretching the bekeart brand. I would use this or the tornado brand instead of smooth single strand high tensile in feeding areas.

BB6176EE-A91B-436D-8092-1B037F5DD7E7.png

Stony ridge farmer has went tornado wire.

Seems like no one one here has used tornado brand itself, lots of mesh but no tornado.  I've been watching some people put up the tornado and it takes some serious bracing and pulling to get it right... A standard 8 foot 4 foot in the dirt h brace will fail quickly, guys are using 12 foot 8 inch posts, and a 12 foot angle, or better pipe.

3 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

Yeah its pretty impressive what the fencing "needs" are around the us and world...

Im trying to bring high tensile here and it's class 3 galvinization. 

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

Some of that style put up for buffalo fence. Don’t know the brand though it is about 20 years old now. Everybody is talking about the high tensile barB  wire now.  Used to be red brand wire was the best now it isn’t any good. You are right on having a proper tie off on any wire. 

R** brand is a swear word in the commercial fencing world.

22 hours ago, mader656 said:

I put up some 9-49-12 high tensile last year for sheep fencing. Would have liked to try Tornado wire, but I guess I was too cheap. Mine came from Kencove. Appears to have been made in Mexico. Do you see a difference in the quality of different brands of tensile wire? They all seem to have the same types of knots available. 

1 hour ago, scraglycat said:

I put up some 9-49-12 high tensile last year for sheep fencing. Would have liked to try Tornado wire, but I guess I was too cheap. Mine came from Kencove. Appears to have been made in Mexico. Do you see a difference in the quality of different brands of tensile wire? They all seem to have the same types of knots available. 

Admittedly im a relatively new to the high tensile mesh world.  But I do notice a few things like the top and bottom wires being different sizes making it harder to pull out slack lines.  Even the 12 to 12.5 on the staytuff makes a world of difference.

I think the tornado has better manners when working it. I do know most everything you get what you pay for. 

I'll know more when i lay my hands on it and get to try some.