Our with the old , in with... the same thing

I got recruited for paperwork and driving old reliable home after the purchase of the new Grand Cherokee. 

Almost doesn’t seem worth it. The old is a 2011 with 100+K the new a 2020 with 3 

7D6D7E5C-526A-4C48-B860-E3AD1B9DE2C9.jpeg

A2164F3E-8F19-4247-B1C5-FAAF46AF6C05.jpeg

• Like 3

I have to admit that I had to scroll back and forth a few times to figure out which one was new. Looks like the 2011 is in really good condition. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TheIHMan said:

I have to admit that I had to scroll back and forth a few times to figure out which one was new. Looks like the 2011 is in really good condition. 

It is, needs a buffing and wheel polish and it would look new. It’s in nice shape 

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I got recruited for paperwork and driving old reliable home after the purchase of the new Grand Cherokee. 

Almost doesn’t seem worth it. The old is a 2011 with 100+K the new a 2020 with 3 

They're gonna kick you out of Vermont for not driving a Subaru. And what's more, driving a *gasp* AMERICAN vehicle... (Cue snobby "..that's why I drive a Subaru" commercial here).

I do love your state though. People are different than what I'm used to, but (other than trying to indoctrinate my kid) very friendly. I've been visiting a lot these past few months. Only this week realized there are no billboards whatsoever. What a fantastic law. The place is gorgeous and I've live there for sure. Only I can't figure out what the heck anyone does to make money...

5 minutes ago, KWRB said:

They're gonna kick you out of Vermont for not driving a Subaru. And what's more, driving a *gasp* AMERICAN vehicle... (Cue snobby "..that's why I drive a Subaru" commercial here).

I do love your state though. People are different than what I'm used to, but (other than trying to indoctrinate my kid) very friendly. I've been visiting a lot these past few months. Only this week realized there are no billboards whatsoever. What a fantastic law. The place is gorgeous and I've live there for sure. Only I can't figure out what the heck anyone does to make money...

Its a tourist based economy in a lot of places for sure, if you aren’t entertaining them you are providing other services. There’s some ag but mostly in the Champlain valley. Not a manufacturing friendly state 

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Its a tourist based economy in a lot of places for sure, if you aren’t entertaining them you are providing other services. There’s some ag but mostly in the Champlain valley. Not a manufacturing friendly state 

No kidding. It's so rural, that I thought I'd enjoy living there and half-seriously looked for jobs I'd be qualified for. None. Yet every house looks large and beautiful. I don't know how these people fund their home economies. It's borderline bizarre to me.

35 minutes ago, KWRB said:

No kidding. It's so rural, that I thought I'd enjoy living there and half-seriously looked for jobs I'd be qualified for. None. Yet every house looks large and beautiful. I don't know how these people fund their home economies. It's borderline bizarre to me.

They work in NY, NJ,CT,MA or they used to . 

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, KWRB said:

What’s your area of expertise?

19 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

What’s your area of expertise?

I have an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering, Master's in Mechanical Engineering. For the past several years I've work in the patent industry, helping large companies and fast moving startups get a handle on their piles of ideas, strategize and execute their patent applications without breaking the bank. I work with inventors and attorneys and I work nearly 100% remote, which means I COULD live in Vermont and still do what I do now, but I was looking to see what kind of a tech industry existed in VT, and not much... I find it kind of ironic that UVM has an engineering college.

Edit: I have a degree in German too, but that's likely to be even less useful in a place like Vermont!

38 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I have an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering, Master's in Mechanical Engineering. For the past several years I've work in the patent industry, helping large companies and fast moving startups get a handle on their piles of ideas, strategize and execute their patent applications without breaking the bank. I work with inventors and attorneys and I work nearly 100% remote, which means I COULD live in Vermont and still do what I do now, but I was looking to see what kind of a tech industry existed in VT, and not much... I find it kind of ironic that UVM has an engineering college.

Edit: I have a degree in German too, but that's likely to be even less useful in a place like Vermont!

That sounds impressive! My FIL is a consultant for direct marketing, not exactly sure what all it entails but he has to travel for meetings with all of his clients, most of which are big name retailers you have heard of. He will work from home for a month then have meetings for 3 days off somewhere. He works from home here in VT and from his place in GA, which is on an island with no bridge. 

I think many of the jobs here are like that . 

2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That sounds impressive! My FIL is a consultant for direct marketing, not exactly sure what all it entails but he has to travel for meetings with all of his clients, most of which are big name retailers you have heard of. He will work from home for a month then have meetings for 3 days off somewhere. He works from home here in VT and from his place in GA, which is on an island with no bridge. 

I think many of the jobs here are like that . 

And from here this conversation we'll have to take offline sometime when I visit, because I don't want to be a hypocrite and run afoul of the expectations of a tractor-centered forum. Though I REALLY want to have this conversation, because I have so many questions.

Just now, KWRB said:

And from here this conversation we'll have to take offline sometime when I visit, because I don't want to be a hypocrite and run afoul of the expectations of a tractor-centered forum. Though I REALLY want to have this conversation, because I have so many questions.

Your right, Bernie is nothing these decent civilized folks should be exposed to😉

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

Your right, Bernie is nothing these decent civilized folks should be exposed to😉

You said it, not me. But it's not Bernie. Or not Bernie alone, that I want to ask a Vermonter about. I'm afraid to ask the school people which are the only people I meet in Vermont, because I don't want to risk my daughter suffering any blowback. You and I will do it. I want to know, so I'll make it happen.

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Its a tourist based economy in a lot of places for sure, if you aren’t entertaining them you are providing other services.

So I take it you are in the group providing " other services " for the tourist. Care to explain or is this something you can't mention among church going folks.😂😂😂

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

3 hours ago, KWRB said:

Did you ever think of growing Marijuana for a greater income? It works for many folks here in the GOOD OLE US of A.

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

So I take it you are in the group providing " other services " for the tourist. Care to explain or is this something you can't mention among church going folks.😂😂😂

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Well I wear a tool belt and a hard hat.... no, but for real there is big dollars in groundskeeping, house cleaning, or any of the other services folks from “away” rely on. Our rates don’t change based on who we work for but there are some Companies  that have different rates based on demographics. For instance one plumbing company I know has done famously well having service contracts with condo associations at Stratton ski area. Every Friday night it’s a line of blue trucks heading up the mountain at service call rates . Also we have some pretty fancy lodging accommodations and restaurants around that certainly wouldn’t be supported by local patronage. But it’s sure nice to have those options on off nights. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, KWRB said:

Heck! State of Vt would PAY YOU to move  here! Seriously 😳. Around 10k per year I think. 
We have BF Goodrich Aerospace (?) in Vergennes which did a lot of work with Boeing and I think they’re doing stuff with the space industry now. 

11 hours ago, TheIHMan said:

I HAD TO LOOK TWICE...