cornfed

Farmall 450 tractor search. Serial # 3233

Seeking assistance in locating my fathers Farmall 450 tractor. Serial # 3233. Purchased New in June 1957 from Schroeder Imp. Annawan IL. Assume traded to Emprie Equipment, Geneseo IL around 1975.  Appreciate any information of coaching on how to search. Thanks.

• Like 2

You came to the right place, if it's still around somebody here probably knows where it is.

By 1975 Empire was the IH dealer for northern Henry County. Prophetstown still had an IH dealer I think.  I was originally from Geneseo. I preferred dealing with Gib Pritchard Implement up town. Their parts guy, John Asplund, had a daughter in most of my classes at school. Pritchard closed in '69 I guess. Dad's favorite dealer, Bob Rischel Implement in Cambridge closed in '69 also.

I forget what year Empire closed. Wife, son, and I in Geneseo for family holiday get together, I drive into their lot just to snoop, bet it was less than a minute later a car pulls up behind me, turns his lights on, walks up to my pickup, asks what I'm doing, then no so nicely suggested I leave. I had Wisconsin plates on my truck. Guess he didn't like cheese.

Dad bought a Super M-TA about 1960 from West Bay Implement in Galesburg. Traded it in spring of '65 at West Bay for a 450 gas and a truck load of Fast Hitch implements. A 4F-43 4-14 fully mounted plow, a #25 Fast Hitch bush hog or chopper.  I put a few hours on the SM-TA, and a boat load on the 450. Would like to have an M-TA someday. I have no serial number on either tractor. But I have the '51 M Dad bought new at Rischels, and he traded a '39 H for a '54 Super H there May 8th of '68 that I still have.

Good luck on your search!

• Like 1

Neighbor has 5761, I have 6065 . I am hoping to find the serial number of the one we sold in the fall of '89 yet. I believe that ours was a 1958 because it had power adjust wheels. I have been told they were not available until '58 

Good luck with your search

26 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

You came to the right place, if it's still around somebody here probably knows where it is.

By 1975 Empire was the IH dealer for northern Henry County. Prophetstown still had an IH dealer I think.  I was originally from Geneseo. I preferred dealing with Gib Pritchard Implement up town. Their parts guy, John Asplund, had a daughter in most of my classes at school. Pritchard closed in '69 I guess. Dad's favorite dealer, Bob Rischel Implement in Cambridge closed in '69 also.

I forget what year Empire closed. Wife, son, and I in Geneseo for family holiday get together, I drive into their lot just to snoop, bet it was less than a minute later a car pulls up behind me, turns his lights on, walks up to my pickup, asks what I'm doing, then no so nicely suggested I leave. I had Wisconsin plates on my truck. Guess he didn't like cheese.

Dad bought a Super M-TA about 1960 from West Bay Implement in Galesburg. Traded it in spring of '65 at West Bay for a 450 gas and a truck load of Fast Hitch implements. A 4F-43 4-14 fully mounted plow, a #25 Fast Hitch bush hog or chopper.  I put a few hours on the SM-TA, and a boat load on the 450. Would like to have an M-TA someday. I have no serial number on either tractor. But I have the '51 M Dad bought new at Rischels, and he traded a '39 H for a '54 Super H there May 8th of '68 that I still have.

Good luck on your search!

Birkey’s has the Prophetstown location as well as Polo and Galesburg. I think Empire went out around 1990 I bought a 1020 grainhead on their close out auction.

For Doctor Evil. Know that I like cheese. : ))

Thanks to all for the encouragement from everyone. Interestingly my father bought equipment from Pritchard Imp. also, was good friends with John Asplund, I know two of his daughters, married to local farmers who farm and run red.  Furthermore, my Dad and Uncles purchased one of the first tractors with rubber tires from Pritchard a long time ago. So I was told.

It is fascinating to me the enthusiasm and detective spirit there is in people to assist in locating a family implement. There are three tractor clubs in the area, and I have been given at least a dozen people to contact that are giving me leads to follow up on. You talk to one person and he has a story on someone else I should touch base with.

So in a nutshell Thanks to all and Red Power for the vehicle to get the word out.

14 minutes ago, cornfed said:

Thanks to all for the encouragement from everyone. Interestingly my father bought equipment from Pritchard Imp. also, was good friends with John Asplund, I know two of his daughters, married to local farmers who farm and run red.  

I graduated with Mary Asplund,  the oldest of John's 2 girls.  Not sure of the younger one's name. She was several years younger than us.

John always impressed me. It wasn't very often he needed to look in his parts book. Sometimes he didn't even need to look on the shelf, just reach in the shelf and grab the right part. No computer, no microfisch. My Cousin, who you might know, bought John's parts books at the auction, just to get John's notes off in the margins of the pages with alternate parts that would work.  

Do you know how it was equipped? Fasthitch? P/S ? Etc? 

Narrow front, Fast hitch, Front set of weights, Belt pulley, 15.5 x 38 tires, Power steering, Gas, Pre Cleaner and Rear set of weights. It notes it was a demonstrator.

I have the bill of sale for the tractor that shows $4,671.54 prior to the trade. Traded in a M in 1957 net cash $2,650. Wish I had the serial number for that M! I was 8 yrs old when the delivery truck pulled in. That was a big day!! Funny how certain pictures of time are imprinted in your mind.

Thanks for the ask

• Like 1