Doc Brown

Farmall H carb problem

looking for a solution.  My carb is a D10 which gushes gas from air intake when it is cranked especially if it is choked.  I don't think it is a float valve problem because it doesn't leak gas when at rest even for long periods.  I thought it might be a float level problem set too high and overfilling the bowl so I set float at 1 53/64 as per specs and the problem still exists.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance  Doc

That's not too uncommon to hear.   

Some debris could be in the seat or the float is not set properly or filled with fuel and not floating. The float could be catching on the inside of the carburetor causing it not to go up high enough to stop fuel flow. The bowl gasket could be bad and on one of my H's I found the carb was cracked and gas leaked out about half way up the casting.  Most of the time I have found these problems to be float related.  You can also try blowing air in to the fuel intake to blow out any dirt in the needle valve.   A few thoughts anyway.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

looking for a solution.  My carb is a D10 which gushes gas from air intake when it is cranked especially if it is choked.  I don't think it is a float valve problem because it doesn't leak gas when at rest even for long periods.  I thought it might be a float level problem set too high and overfilling the bowl so I set float at 1 53/64 as per specs and the problem still exists.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks in advance  Doc

Just a general comment . 
on the supper c , I had issues leak gas around needle and seat due to left over sand paint chips  in tank from sand blaster I hire. Waste a lot of time and fuel till I discovered root cause . One correction was I put a wix in line filter in line . 
, I also cannot choke these zenith or Carter for more than one turn (revolution) approximately with gas gushing from weep hole. I don’t have a solution. I don’t run these tractors enough ,I just avoid doing a choke for very long , I also religiously shout off the gas and run tractors out of gas , to avoid flooding. And then shut off ignition. 
do you have the right cover gasket in the carburetor ? Another thought . 
I bought a blue ribbon carburetor manual to my zenith cards . Very helpful ,I never try to keep he details in memory, I reread it and tackle issues after I reread the manual . Avoiding the wrong diagnosis, which attest to doing often .

i also am a huge one to do a vacuum test before I do anything on carburetor problems correct, what you don’t measure you don’t control is my hard learn the hard way advice  

i also am a huge one to do a vacuum test before I do anything on carburetor problems correct, what you don’t measure you don’t control is my hard learn the hard way advice  

2x     could be air restriction in/out...shouldnt be ice, where you are,maybe rodent....
valve stuck rings,gasket....    ....slow crank as in 6v need of good cleaning......weak spark
  • Like 1

Never thought about a wasp nest ,or mouse nest till you mentioned it ,good one. 

Thanks for your input.  I think my next move is to violate the specs and set the float level lower than recommended.  I forgot to mention that I checked the float for leaks and it was ok.  I will also check float alignment to see if rubs on the bowl but I doubt it because the float valve shuts off as it should when the tractor sits when off.  Doc

I think the specific gravity of fuel isnt always what it was when the specs were determined. Your not the first to have to lower float till it doesnt leak.