I bought a TD340A dozer that’s in great shape, but does have a cracked head. I have 6 other tractors, all gas. I wouldn’t mind converting the TD to gas. What engine would be a bolt in replacement for the D-166 now in it. One of the “C” engines?

The gas engine for any version of 340 tractor is a C-135. 

The "C" in front of an IH engine denotes it was a gasoline engine. (Or liquid propane if offered.) So your assumption that you need a "C" engine is correct. 

be careful you only get one from/for a tractor there are 7 different castings

if you were closer I would swap .

1 hour ago, Marvin Burrows said:

What tractors should I look for besides the 340?

Apparently the 340 and 330 tractors are the only ones that will work.  I believe the engine on the T340 was the same as the 340 wheel tractors, but a TD340A might be the T-5 engine.  Good luck. 

Look here....

Yup, the C135 from the 340 farm tractor, or MAYBE the 330 Utility, is it.

It was not a widely used engine, and neither is the D166 you currently have.

That is ASSUMING the way the engine mounts to the bell housing on the T-340 is the same way it mounts on the 340 farm tractors. In the CaseIH parts book, there are two separate part numbers for the C-135 crankcase for the T-340 crawlers, a third for the 404 farm tractor, and a fourth that does not specify an application. That part number in the listing, which I can only assume is the one for the 340 farm tractor, specifically says NOT for the T-340.

I don't know what the difference is between the T-5 and the T-340. They look similar, have similar specs, even use the same gasoline engine from all appearances. However, the TD-5 uses a British BD-144 engine which is also used in some Doncaster built Utility tractors.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:06 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

Yup, the C135 from the 340 farm tractor, or MAYBE the 330 Utility, is it.

It was not a widely used engine, and neither is the D166 you currently have.

That is ASSUMING the way the engine mounts to the bell housing on the T-340 is the same way it mounts on the 340 farm tractors. In the CaseIH parts book, there are two separate part numbers for the C-135 crankcase for the T-340 crawlers, a third for the 404 farm tractor, and a fourth that does not specify an application. That part number in the listing, which I can only assume is the one for the 340 farm tractor, specifically says NOT for the T-340.

I don't know what the difference is between the T-5 and the T-340. They look similar, have similar specs, even use the same gasoline engine from all appearances. However, the TD-5 uses a British BD-144 engine which is also used in some Doncaster built Utility tractors.

There was an engine serial number break at #100500. Numbers below this seem to belong to the 330, 340 & # 201 Windrower engines. Higher numbers seem to refer to the 404 & 2404 tractors and PERHAPS the T-340A & T-5B crawlers which were both built from 1962 onwards.

The TD-340A was a later version of the TD-340 and was built from 1962 to 1965 so there may be some other updates compared to the original TD-340

Actually, it is a TD340A. I never dreamed that parts would be so hard to find. I did find a 340 farm (wheeled) tractor with a C135 in it, which SHOULD fit. But it’s 1500 miles away, and the guy says “It’s in a snow drift and I don’t know when I could pull it”. All I need is a head for the D-166, since mine is cracked. Imight even have to see if I can find a service that welds heads. I used to have that done a lot on Detroits. But if anybody sees a head anywhere, PLEASE HOLLER!!

Thanks

M

7 minutes ago, Marvin Burrows said:

I never dreamed that parts would be so hard to find.

What on earth made you think parts for a 60 year old piece of equipment would be easy to find? It's hard to find some parts for a 15 year old car! 

Just now, Marvin Burrows said:

Actually, it is a TD340A. I never dreamed that parts would be so hard to find. I did find a 340 farm (wheeled) tractor with a C135 in it, which SHOULD fit. But it’s 1500 miles away, and the guy says “It’s in a snow drift and I don’t know when I could pull it”. All I need is a head for the D-166, since mine is cracked. Imight even have to see if I can find a service that welds heads. I used to have that done a lot on Detroits. But if anybody sees a head anywhere, PLEASE HOLLER!!

Thanks

M

try to find/ fix the head,have seen it done properly many x

if you were closer would save the old one and chance the repair next I see one of the blacksmiths that travel.

the 135 from a tractor is the only > 75% chance rear fits but the fronts are still different on a td/t....A

member here had 166 parts last year.....south/sw area

good luck.....photos...

On 2/23/2020 at 8:43 AM, J-Mech said:

What on earth made you think parts for a 60 year old piece of equipment would be easy to find? It's hard to find some parts for a 15 year old car! 

We have a 3-71 Detroit Diesel built prior to DD maintaining computerized serial numbers, best guess is 1955, that makes it 65 years old!. This engine is so old that it has a normal head gasket  and 2 valves per jug. Last part we required was on the shelf at the local Detroit Diesel Distributor.   Of course, the fact that many parts are shared across the entire 71 series engine family helps.

The only part I’ve seen difficult to get is the part I need. Pistons, rods, rings, cams, you name it, are off the shelf, and a head is on the way.  I worked on detroits for 20 years. We ran up to 30 oilwell servicing rigs that ran mostly 8V-71s and the 12-Vs. Had 4-71s and 4-53s on the hydraulic units. Had my fill of 2 cycle engines. There’s a good reason that they’re 99% extinct now, even on dirt bikes. Chainsaws and model airplanes might be the last holdouts. 

Detroits are one of the few exceptions.  I too worked on the old 2 stroke Detroits.  Still a lot of them running in the oilfields.  Never ran across a part that couldn't be had for them, but like you said, the parts were interchangeable and the engines didn't change much through the years.  I still like them, but more because there aren't many people left who can and will work on them, so you can make good money if you know how and are willing to.