Sign in to follow this  
farmallman77

Flat tire fun.

Rim on my h decided to take a crap the other day.   Tires were loaded before I got the tractor.   Had to get a new rim.   Well I got the rim. Now I need to take the old one off.  Luckily the nuts and clamps were on the outside.   Little rattle gun action and off they came.  Jacked it up and rim fell on the ground.    I got lucky and am happy cuz I broke my finger yesterday.  Couldnt fight a wheel too much. 

Chris

20200218_183222.jpg

• Like 4

Lucky you didn’t need a hot wrench with the chloride action. Be careful messing around with those loaded wheels, they go from balanced to WAYYY too heavy really fast

• Like 3

We do most of our tires ourselves. They can be quite the challenge sometimes. Not something I would want to do for a living 

• Like 1

get rid of the fluid, get wheel weights

• Like 1

Since this is a tire thread I had some fun today.  I had two and half flats today in town on my pickup.  Went to town to drop off my taxes.  Stopped at 2 different places before I got to the CPA's office.  Got out and heard a loud hissing sound and found back right tire with a nail and screw in it.  It was so noticeable that I know I got it between the previous stop and the CPA's office.  F'town.  Hurried up and threw the jack underneath it and then went inside to do my business.  Came back out and I could hear another very very low hissing sound up front.  Check around and the front left tire was leaking but just barely.  So I go to throw my spare tire on the back right and course its flat.  I put it on anyway because its a bald POS and if I'm going to ruin a tire on the way to the tire shop it will be this one and not the one that has only 10,000 miles on it.  Tire shop was only 2 blocks away.  I get to the tire shop, tell them to fix the good tire and don't bother with the spare.  They checked the front tire which was 15 pounds lower then it should be so they aired it up and I made it home fine.  $20 dollars for a fix which sucked because we do all our own tires but I couldn't help it in this case.  Don't know how that compares to the tire shops you guys deal with.

4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

get rid of the fluid, get wheel weights

I should have explained better.  When I got the tractor the tires were loaded.  I have since unloaded them. But the damage was already done.  I get to do the same with my m one day and well.  I never run loaded tires.  Much prefer wheel weight for what I do.  

Chris

• Like 1

You didn't break your finger doing anything with the tire or am I misunderstanding what happened? 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

You didn't break your finger doing anything with the tire or am I misunderstanding what happened? 

I knew a guy with his finger bent off sideways at a sharp angle. He was quite proud of him self for it. When at a wedding the bar tender leaned over the counter to do something and he seized then opportunity to pop a piece of ice right into her ample cleavage. She responded silently but quickly by reaching out and snapping the offending finger off. 

Dunno if it was true, but knowing the guy, I’d believe it. 

Aaugh!  Cold weather tire work on old stiff rubber tire 38 .  Not exactly a project that I like to do . Glad you got it 

5 hours ago, bitty said:

Nah.  Broke it carrying steel concrete forms.  Fell and 60 pound form fell on it.  

Broke it Monday.  Removed rim tuesday.

Chris

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Since this is a tire thread I had some fun today.  I had two and half flats today in town on my pickup.  Went to town to drop off my taxes.  Stopped at 2 different places before I got to the CPA's office.  Got out and heard a loud hissing sound and found back right tire with a nail and screw in it.  It was so noticeable that I know I got it between the previous stop and the CPA's office.  F'town.  Hurried up and threw the jack underneath it and then went inside to do my business.  Came back out and I could hear another very very low hissing sound up front.  Check around and the front left tire was leaking but just barely.  So I go to throw my spare tire on the back right and course its flat.  I put it on anyway because its a bald POS and if I'm going to ruin a tire on the way to the tire shop it will be this one and not the one that has only 10,000 miles on it.  Tire shop was only 2 blocks away.  I get to the tire shop, tell them to fix the good tire and don't bother with the spare.  They checked the front tire which was 15 pounds lower then it should be so they aired it up and I made it home fine.  $20 dollars for a fix which sucked because we do all our own tires but I couldn't help it in this case.  Don't know how that compares to the tire shops you guys deal with.

As my SON scolded me one day when he was about 11-12 yrs old, "Your not supposed to DRIVE through the hardware store..."  I'd just found two nails or screws in one tire and another nail in a second tire.

They were slow leaks, tires were really worn,  bought 4 new tires.

CHRIS - I've found it's handy having two loader tractors. Like when I was removing fluid from my one loader tractor, the one tire was valve stem level full, 450-500# of fluid, the loader on the M was the only way to get the tire & rim in the truck.  Even a skid-steer would work.

Not sure how we farmed with only one loader.

4 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

As my SON scolded me one day when he was about 11-12 yrs old, "Your not supposed to DRIVE through the hardware store..."  I'd just found two nails or screws in one tire and another nail in a second tire.

They were slow leaks, tires were really worn,  bought 4 new tires.

CHRIS - I've found it's handy having two loader tractors. Like when I was removing fluid from my one loader tractor, the one tire was valve stem level full, 450-500# of fluid, the loader on the M was the only way to get the tire & rim in the truck.  Even a skid-steer would work.

Not sure how we farmed with only one loader.

I hear ya.   I dont know how I lived without a loader tractor.  This little h has been such a blessing.  I use it all the time.  

Chris.