Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sandhiller

Dodge Durango

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, MTO said:

stack crap that high..... get with the program VTF....sigh.

still don't get it

you mean I'm not 6'2 190? 

sorry, im not 5'4 220 and hunched over staring at the ground muttering..

if it helps, I went bald in highschool...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AD248ADD-3A4C-4DD6-879E-1919A80B2B39.jpeg

but I can signal planes with my head ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

yes, you can stroke a 4.0 to 4.6? I think.. you use the 258 head, and crank,  there was a fair amount to it but makes for one torquy engine. my friend did his, I was involved a little bit but more in finding parts than building it. in any event yes they are related engines. 

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/40.html

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTO said:

stack crap that high..... get with the program VTF....sigh.

I get it now, sorry was fighting with the Mrs and the inlaws, a little touchy and not really paying attention😇🤬🤬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy bought a demo just like the one pictured and has been happy with it, he is a Ramrod and got one with a hemi, mileage isn't the greatest but the only issues have been electronics with the display.

My wife bought a 17 grand cherokee with the V6 and 8 speed, it's no powerhouse but gets decent mileage and just kind of keeps shifting to get you to speed, it is a very solid feeling chassis and ride but very comfortable, little issues with it yet 50k on the clock, I'm not a Chrysler fanatic...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddy of mine in the FD has his wife in her third Durango- they love them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great vehicles.  About only thing that really stands out on that era Durango is look along the drivers side seam of the radiator for a leak.

3.6/8 speed is a great combo.

I'd recommend the 8" touchscreen but I'd bet the vast majority you look at will have it anyway.

Any other specifics send me a PM.  I could probably build one of them in my sleep.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

AD248ADD-3A4C-4DD6-879E-1919A80B2B39.jpeg

but I can signal planes with my head ;) 

Isn't there a saying about "A solar panel - - "?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow so glad you wife is ok, i dont know a thing about durangos so good luck 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

Really good info! Thanks for the history lesson. I just know I like the straight sizes I've had. I even have the little 4 banger in a Cherokee, not running at the moment, waiting for someone to be interested in it. My boys won't let me sell it (it was an old "school car").

No knowledge of the V6 but looking like I will have shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 5088 said:

Great vehicles.  About only thing that really stands out on that era Durango is look along the drivers side seam of the radiator for a leak.

3.6/8 speed is a great combo.

I'd recommend the 8" touchscreen but I'd bet the vast majority you look at will have it anyway.

Any other specifics send me a PM.  I could probably build one of them in my sleep.

The one I'm looking at is a 2018 and pretty well optioned. If they total the PU. I will deal on the Durango in time to take it 6 hrs to youngest son's wedding Friday so I don't have to cram him and the missus into my supercab ranch pickup😁

Dealer is in eastern Nebraska but they will deliver to the ranch. Good folks!

Thank you!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

The one I'm looking at is a 2018 and pretty well optioned. If they total the PU. I will deal on the Durango in time to take it 6 hrs to youngest son's wedding Friday so I don't have to cram him and the missus into my supercab ranch pickup😁

Dealer is in eastern Nebraska but they will deliver to the ranch. Good folks!

Thank you!!!

Busy couple years for you and weddings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much stuff does she need to haul traveling around? Not sure if its her preference or not but I bought a Toyota RAV4 as my commuter for hauling kids in and saving money commuting and keep miles off my truck. Love the little thing; they are tall enough with the bigger tires and with a 4x4 they are good in all weather even up here in northern michigan winters and still good space and the 4 cylinder gets good mileage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those still body on frame? And since you're not planning on towing, I have to ask why the Durango? I went to a unibody built crossover SUV and am not looking back.

Kia Sorento, 200k warranty, 290 hp v6 that still delivers as good as 30 mpg, AWD system is more capable than any pickup I have ever driven, huge amount of cargo space, been pulling my toy trailer better than my Suburban ever did... and more American built than the big 3.... Under $30k nicely appointed, brand new.

Hyundai/Kia are currently holding some of the highest quality ratings in the industry, only beat by Lexus and Porsche. 

20190615_114801.thumb.jpg.0784c22396e4e00027ca5eee4f5fb748.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Are those still body on frame? And since you're not planning on towing, I have to ask why the Durango? I went to a unibody built crossover SUV and am not looking back.

Kia Sorento, 200k warranty, 290 hp v6 that still delivers as good as 30 mpg, AWD system is more capable than any pickup I have ever driven, huge amount of cargo space, been pulling my toy trailer better than my Suburban ever did... and more American built than the big 3.... Under $30k nicely appointed, brand new.

Hyundai/Kia are currently holding some of the highest quality ratings in the industry, only beat by Lexus and Porsche. 

20190615_114801.thumb.jpg.0784c22396e4e00027ca5eee4f5fb748.jpg

 

Durango/grand Cherokee are unibody 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Are those still body on frame? And since you're not planning on towing, I have to ask why the Durango? I went to a unibody built crossover SUV and am not looking back.

Kia Sorento, 200k warranty, 290 hp v6 that still delivers as good as 30 mpg, AWD system is more capable than any pickup I have ever driven, huge amount of cargo space, been pulling my toy trailer better than my Suburban ever did... and more American built than the big 3.... Under $30k nicely appointed, brand new.

Hyundai/Kia are currently holding some of the highest quality ratings in the industry, only beat by Lexus and Porsche. 

20190615_114801.thumb.jpg.0784c22396e4e00027ca5eee4f5fb748.jpg

 

Wife has a 2019 Kia Sorento. She had a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee before that that she traded on the Sorento. To be honest, i liked the Grand Cherokee more than the Sorento. Even she regrets the deal she made. When the Sorento goes she's claims she wants another Jeep Grand Cherokee. 

As far as quality. The one she has has been ehhh. It's had a bunch of stupid little things with it that have popped up over the time she's had it. The big one was the climate control system acting up. Yeah the warranty covered it but still.

Hope you have better luck with your Sorento 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Busy couple years for you and weddings?

Yeah, three boys married off in four years. 

First one hit the reset button after only a year. Damn Texas women😁

He's got a good one now from South Dakota that comes from a good ranch family and knows about our winters and work😃

1 hour ago, cgage said:

How much stuff does she need to haul traveling around? Not sure if its her preference or not but I bought a Toyota RAV4 as my commuter for hauling kids in and saving money commuting and keep miles off my truck. Love the little thing; they are tall enough with the bigger tires and with a 4x4 they are good in all weather even up here in northern michigan winters and still good space and the 4 cylinder gets good mileage.

It will be her everyday work outfit but also our travel rig. Some supplies, not a whole lot of stuff. She wanted a smaller Jeep of some sort, I wanted another Yukon, we settled somewhere in the middle with the Durango. 

10 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Are those still body on frame? And since you're not planning on towing, I have to ask why the Durango? I went to a unibody built crossover SUV and am not looking back.

Kia Sorento, 200k warranty, 290 hp v6 that still delivers as good as 30 mpg, AWD system is more capable than any pickup I have ever driven, huge amount of cargo space, been pulling my toy trailer better than my Suburban ever did... and more American built than the big 3.... Under $30k nicely appointed, brand new.

Hyundai/Kia are currently holding some of the highest quality ratings in the industry, only beat by Lexus and Porsche. 

20190615_114801.thumb.jpg.0784c22396e4e00027ca5eee4f5fb748.jpg

 

Maybe not a big deal in this modern day and age but I like having a dealer close by. The closest of any brand is 60 miles and they are Dodge, Ford, Jeep. The next dealers are a hundred and not sure if there is Kia, Toyota, etc or not. May have to go to Rapid City and that is a bit of a drive. 

The Dodge dealer in Valentine, I get along real well with the owner, parts guys and mechanics so that ups my comfort level.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the research I did before buying my RAM 1500 two years ago, (2018) the 8-speed automatic is made by ZF. They make auto trans for most of the city busses made, and Cars like BMW, Mercedes.

I haven't put many miles on my pickup but I think it shifts up thru the gears fine for an automatic.  It's the first auto equipped vehicle I've EVER bought for my use.  I'd like to hook up a trailer and load something heavy up and see how a 400 hp Hemi compares to a 215 hp diesel in my old F250 towing.  The torque rating of the 7.3 PSD and the 5.7L Hemi are both 420 #/ft.  I wouldn't expect gas mpg to be very good but I expect performance of the Hemi to be startlingly good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Hope you have better luck with your Sorento 

Mines a '19, So far, so good....knock on wood. I only hit 13k yesterday. 

And I completely agree on having a close dealer, I have several nearby. When I started looking last spring I wanted a Ford Edge or Chev Blazer, but the Kia was $20k less and rated higher in reviews....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 19 Durango we’ve put 22000 miles on it in the last year no issues so far the better half averages about 18 around town it gets around 22-23 on the highway with the cruise set at 80 I’ve pulled my 01 regal on a heavy 18 ft trailer behind it at 70 with no issues it’s the 3.6 with 8 speed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cattech said:

Mines a '19, So far, so good....knock on wood. I only hit 13k yesterday. 

And I completely agree on having a close dealer, I have several nearby. When I started looking last spring I wanted a Ford Edge or Chev Blazer, but the Kia was $20k less and rated higher in reviews....

Our '15 Edge,  well, actually, the second one, has been great. 80,000 miles, maybe a few thousand more. Wife and I take it back to the dealer every 2-3 months, 5000 miles, for an oil change, tire rotation, brake wear check,  they've put two cabin air filters in, and they complain about the lug nuts every time. When they replace them free of charge I'll let them replace them.  This Edge has the 2.0L 4 cyl EcoBoost. Gets 23-24 mpg. Our first one had the 3.5L naturally aspirated V-6, gutless unless you floored it and watched the tach swing to 6000. Put 15,000 miles on it before Ford bought it back because of a water leak in driver's side front firewall between engine and driver's floor area. Every little rain shower resulted in a half in deep water level inside car. Three trips back to dealer couldn't repair it so Ford bought it back. The all wheel drive is totally invisible, she used to be scared to death of snowy roads, now a few inches of snow doesn't phase her.

I'm trying to convince her we need a new 2021 Bronco when they come out this coming fall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just darn near bought a Durango last year. Went with a Tahoe instead. Glad I did now cuz mama has another one in the oven. Wish I would of just bought the sub and been done. Was afraid she would back into everything. Anyway. Cousin had a hemi 14 model in think. Loved it. Very dependable. I love the looks of them. At that time I did a bunch of reading and talking to owners of Durangos. everyone liked them. Based on that I'd go for it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Just darn near bought a Durango last year. Went with a Tahoe instead. Glad I did now cuz mama has another one in the oven. Wish I would of just bought the sub and been done. Was afraid she would back into everything. Anyway. Cousin had a hemi 14 model in think. Loved it. Very dependable. I love the looks of them. At that time I did a bunch of reading and talking to owners of Durangos. everyone liked them. Based on that I'd go for it. 

Congrats on the oven works😃 Hope we are done in that department. 😁

Had the wife pick out the Durango she wanted last night so after taking care of the  cows this morning I have been on the phone with the ins co on the wrecked pu, the tow company, the dealership we are buying from, the credit union, the people who they hire to deliver it to us (about 325 miles)

Having it bought and delivered in 24 hours so we can have it in time to take to sons wedding (another 325 miles) without having all the funds in hand has added a few hoops to the many to jump through. 

From the ins co to the dealership all have been great to work with and very accommodating. 

Some nasty weather came through between me and North Platte so fuel run was called off. Leaves me time to be on the phone this afternoon. 

I think I'm actually gonna get this thing pulled off. 😅

Should make for a happy momma🤗

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has an 11 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi engine.  Loves it.  Good power.  Not as good as a v6 on fuel, but respectable if you are easy on the throttle.   My sister has a new Durango SRT.  They never drive it, horrible on fuel!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny this topic is here , I let the old man have been t today about moms tires, that he ought to be ashamed of himself, as they were smooth and cracked he agreed. I called the place we use and they went to get new tires then had an appointment for the car for a checkup at 330, by 5 they had bought a new 20’ grand Cherokee with v6 same color as the old one. Selling that one outright with new brakes and tires and not a scratch on it. Shouldn’t be a hard sell. 

They are off for a couple days to Maine, not sure if they will be getting the new one first or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...