1 hour ago, starz607 said:

Did anybody catch the news about a silo explosion north of Syracuse NY? Sorry I can’t link the story.

matt

It was on Facebook. Someone mentioned the air vent wasn’t working but idk if that’s what caused it. Quite the pressure vessel!

Wow. Didnt know such was possible. Anyone ever watch that YouTuber farming fixing and fabricating? He gets into some interesting stuff. Hes from Syracuse area I believe. This was not him i dont believe. 

1 hour ago, starz607 said:

Yes I do watch FF&F. He has a nice channel, in my opinion. I am hoping he bought a Red tractor on his recent trip. Lol

matt

He really does. Sometimes he over explains things but then I am a farmer so even though I'm not a dairyman it makes sense. Hes doing it for the folks who dont know. I doubt a red tractor shows up around there. Some guys just dont get it. 😂

It was about 30 miles south of me. Had haylage in it but have not heard a cause. 
Had one blow here a few years ago and kill a firefighter, but that one was after a barn fire and Harvestore started to burn. 

2 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

It was about 30 miles south of me. Had haylage in it but have not heard a cause. 
Had one blow here a few years ago and kill a firefighter, but that one was after a barn fire and Harvestore started to burn. 

I thought they said it had hi moisture corn on FB? 

30’ of haylage. They figure it must have caught fire and no one noticed

My Uncle was involved in a silo explosion back in 2016. He survived and the truck driver did not however. My Uncle was in bad shape for a little while and then did alright. Now his injuries are beginning to plague him again. They were filling the silo with corn syrup as they had done many times in the past and it exploded. I'm not sure they ever came up with a definitive answer as too why it happened. Uncle and driver were standing next to the truck when it happened. 

FB_IMG_1582051391687.thumb.jpg.338dde4a4a13310018bcc6b8e7c8b517.jpg

FB_IMG_1582051381852.thumb.jpg.320493a58a6919db4755420cea2adbb5.jpg

FB_IMG_1582051406113.thumb.jpg.03dccb3124ba08acd70fa6b928e6aa5f.jpg

FB_IMG_1582051397185.thumb.jpg.e2d620e0e984c500ab631604448c8977.jpg

FB_IMG_1582051425326.thumb.jpg.93a0cd99ba2b9886148bf438e449db1a.jpg

FB_IMG_1582051411944.thumb.jpg.71e8c0ae2a877210e2ccd3d730effbdd.jpg

FB_IMG_1582051436487.thumb.jpg.22664fbae1bcb6946c45d6e2b43ef29d.jpg

• Sad 1

Help me here. I don't know much about silage silos.

How do they exploed?

Fire was mentioned. I thought oxygen was kept out of silage. How does silage burn if there is no oxygen?

Why do you put a corn syrup in a silage tower?

Thx-Ace

1 hour ago, acem said:

Help me here. I don't know much about silage silos.

How do they exploed?

Fire was mentioned. I thought oxygen was kept out of silage. How does silage burn if there is no oxygen?

Why do you put a corn syrup in a silage tower?

Thx-Ace

The silo probably wasn't air tight anymore., Haylage in a harvestore is usually put up a bit drier than in a conventional silo and if oxygen does happen to get in it will heat up and possibly combust. In the roof of a harvestore there are a set of breather bags that will allow for the air pressure differential as the silo is emptied. There is also a pressure relief valve up top that will prevent the silo from building up too much pressure or a vacuum for that matter. If the valve gets stuck it is possible for the roof to blow off.

It can also go the other way to, there is a 20x80 close to me that was used for high moisture shelled corn. The farmer who was renting the silo was unloading it out by the truckload and one day while unloading they heard a big bang. They could not figure out what it was until they left the farm and then they saw the roof was gone. They took such a volume of corn out at once and the valve stuck and the vacuum sucked the roof in.

This is my hometown. While I don't know the family really well, my wife works with one of the daughters. I met the husband himself one day at Napa and we talked like we were old friends for 20 minutes or so at the parts counter at Napa. This family are FANTASTIC people, and while it's not really my business to mention things that aren't my business, I'll say they've taken a lot of blows on the chin over the years and handled it was grace. The daughter told my wife she lied down with the cows all night afterward worried about them. Big, big hearts and super hard workers in that family. We're heartbroken.

About 40 miles north. He seemed like a super guy on the news when interviewed , said he'd clean it up and move . Feel bad for them hopefully someone will sell them some cheap feed.