Missouri Mule

Calcium question

15 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

If the existing tubes don't leak...... I would think that is common sense.  If you are worried about mixing calcium and methanol.... Google it or call a tire shop.  I would have just called a tire shop and asked how they would handle it, leave polling a forum out of it.

For the record, I have never in my life heard of using methanol in a tire for ballast.  I would think that would eat the rubber, but whatever.  And yes, methanol is less than 7lbs/gal,  Mixing it with water would leave you somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.5lbs/gal.  CaCl2 11.6lbs/gal at max mixture.  Beet juice/ rim guard is 11.  Nothing used in tires for ballast is as heavy as CaCl2.  

I don't have any idea why you wouldn't reuse the tubes if they're good. 

I was worried about mixing it. I do have a diaphram pump that should get most out, but I'm sure you can never get it all. His rims have surface rust around the stems now. Assume it's either from an old leak or from adding air and not washing it off. Whatever be the case. 

Sorry guys I should have worded the whole thing different. I don't care if someone prefers calcium, he doesnt want it , neither do I in mine. Theres 3 tire shops in my area. I called the 2 that deal with tractors the most. BOTH  use methanol. One will only sell you that. BOTH said they would not sell me rimguard and no way in He$% use it. They said it's the nastiest crap they ever seen and charge double when one comes in. Both said they would re use the tubes. There are a lot of guys here with tractors. I wanted opinions on re using because of mixing the chemicals. I am a lot of things I am not a chemist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

Guess nobody read this part? Not sure how else to put it. He DOES NOT WANT THE CALCUIM IN HIS TIRES. WANTING TO PAY TO SWAP IT OUT. HATES THE STUFF. I'm trying to save him money on tubes and tire breakdown fees. 

Wheel weights are an option for him. Yes. 

suck the crap out..........easy with a small pump - can get 95% out just running out on ground obviously by driving till valve stem to lowest point and removing valve - clean off rim of course afterwards and do it  in an area u dont want grass to grow for a little while, it doesnt sterilize the soil so it wont be permanent but will work for a while - get teh wheel weights, u can offset the costs of ridding tires of calcium ( unless you have your own pump already ) and spend it on that or making a ballast. 

I removed ALL the calcium from ALL my tractors that had it years ago and never looked back, havent had the need for it since removing one time - wheel weights or a ballast are way better than ANY liquid in my opinion - the first time you have a flat you will understand why - 

I called the 2 that deal with tractors the most. 

Both said they would re use the tubes.

There's your answer.  Personally I trust people that specialize in an area more than I trust people who may have seen something once or twice.  In other words, a farmer may have mixed a little cacl2 and methanol in a tire on one or two of the maybe 20 or 30 tractors he has owned over the years ..... but a tire shop that works on literally hundreds of farm tires a year is going to know more.  That's the group of people I want advice from. Listen to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

I removed ALL the calcium from ALL my tractors that had it years ago and never looked back, havent had the need for it since removing one time - wheel weights or a ballast are way better than ANY liquid in my opinion - the first time you have a flat you will understand why - 

I did the same thing about 7-8 years ago. In my case, new Firestone radial rated tubes installed and sand blasted primed and painted the rims.  The old tubes that had the fluid were the original Firestone tubes installed at FARMALL.  I've got two sets of rear wheel weights. Some day I hope I stumble into another 400-500# of weights of some kind I can hang on the back of that tractor. It's my #1 snow mover and it could use some more weight.

In my case, only one rim showed signs of a tube with a little leak. But once both tires & tubes were off, both tubes had leaks and quite a bit of rust where the tube contacted the rim.

8 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I did the same thing about 7-8 years ago. In my case, new Firestone radial rated tubes installed and sand blasted primed and painted the rims.  The old tubes that had the fluid were the original Firestone tubes installed at FARMALL.  I've got two sets of rear wheel weights. Some day I hope I stumble into another 400-500# of weights of some kind I can hang on the back of that tractor. It's my #1 snow mover and it could use some more weight.

In my case, only one rim showed signs of a tube with a little leak. But once both tires & tubes were off, both tubes had leaks and quite a bit of rust where the tube contacted the rim.

Which in retrospect is what should happen here if he wants to do a 100% job. They should be broken down, blasted, primed and painted, new tubes and reinstall. The more I think of it that's what I did on my others. I remember now painting my 2040 deere rims. I would not of re used tubes at that point. On both of my 86's I found the same as Doc. Pulled them apart and found heavy pitting 4" around the stem on inside. They all cleaned up 

Reuse the tube if not taking them off. If having to disbead the tires and they are tubeless tires I would go without tubes. Saves money and saves from as many flats also in our experience

I didn't realize that you were talking about draining the fluid without dismounting them completely

Which in retrospect is what should happen here if he wants to do a 100% job. They should be broken down, blasted, primed and painted, new tubes and reinstall. The more I think of it that's what I did on my others. I remember now painting my 2040 deere rims. I would not of re used tubes at that point. On both of my 86's I found the same as Doc. Pulled them apart and found heavy pitting 4" around the stem on inside. They all cleaned up 

Sharp screwdriver right through base of tire will drain the calcium.  Just kidding. This is pump we use. It will suck the tire into a star shape but still leaves about 5 to 10 gals in tire if you don’t break bead and collapse tube. Takes about 15 minutes to drain 75 gals. In goes faster.

16D91E35-2549-4F2A-8490-1FBD5DD13826.jpeg

B210A718-EC13-44A9-ABAA-B231EC85DB96.jpeg

hey! that's a new way to transport moonshine! kinda crazy to have alcohol  in tires though!  the best bang for your buck is calcium at 13 lbs per gallon. but you might get a big  bang out of the alcohol also.

6 minutes ago, rustred said:

hey! that's a new way to transport moonshine! kinda crazy to have alcohol  in tires though!  the best bang for your buck is calcium at 13 lbs per gallon. but you might get a big  bang out of the alcohol also.

Uncle Jesses moonshine was so pure he ran it in his gas tank on dukes of hazzqrd 

• Like 1

high test!

9 minutes ago, rustred said:

high test!

Boss hoggs wasn’t as good. Gosh i loved to watch the best vehicular action show of its time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

yes sir, last one was 560 - pulled tubes out, pulled tires off, fixed stem holes, wire wheeled them, neighbor sprayed them with epoxy primer then painted them and clear coated them for me, put on the new tubes and firestones and BAM - done forever - just plug if needed now and keep going - 706 has tubes w/out fluid - 5088 radials no tubes - Deere A has tubes cause tires cracked so bad they dont hold air otherwise LOL. 

afterthot, my old landlord in 1990 used latex paint in his 2600 ford diesel, pumped them all full, fronts/rears cause he was tired of flats, said he never had a flat after that. Was still using/driving it when i moved in 1996 - said it worked for weight and stop leak. Quite a few white spots on tires but they would wear off - lots of hedge/locust thorns on his property