Mike Stearns

Look at what followed me home

do you have a fire happening??

Good Lord!

Starting a barn painting business?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drive it to the coffee shop in town, be the topic of conversation.

whoa thas a lil overkill for changing the bad bulbs in the barn

Often wondered. What does one do with a used firetruck? I've seen them sell dirt cheap. Always figured they kept getting passed down to rural areas and volunteer FD's until eventually they just got scrapped. 

Yes to all above except for the painting. I’m going to make a hauler for my antique fire truck I’m restoring. 

• Like 1

Very nice, I owned 3 vintage fire trucks at one time. What year is that aerial?

Would that boom be legal for a deer stand? If so I would have that thing in camo

• Like 1

The truck is a 1996 Simon duplex with a 105’ quint ladder. Has a 250 gallon booster tank. I don’t know what the pump is yet, I haven’t looked at the data plate 

Just now, Missouri Mule said:

Often wondered. What does one do with a used firetruck? I've seen them sell dirt cheap. Always figured they kept getting passed down to rural areas and volunteer FD's until eventually they just got scrapped. 

what govt doesnt waste,would be neat to have, but all the govt BS $$$$ to keep,what are they making you toss?

assume it was cheap or for cost of drive line?

are you cutting down to make integral bed or trailer setup...?

operating with in 25 m area  ,40 like that under 8 years old and  150 +smaller, cost over $500k ea.

those times are long gone we need to save the planet

the kb 7-8,s lasted in to the 90,s on back up service with UNDER 50K m,went to EVERY call and parade for 35 yrs,

now they are cheap at $1M ++++ we replace/scrap every < 50K m (every side show or far flung funeral they can reach)  or as soon as paid for.

no profit in keeping them. $700K for rehab since there is no maintenance budget and its $150 Hr at dealer

they dont publish the appropriations  any more $350K yearly tax bill go to endless payments + 5yr rotating special tax grab +state/ federal $$+ every shop has to raise $100-300K each time.

had a fire close by on road 2yrs ago, 7 calls went out 3 man volunteer made the 30 mile trip in 18 min ,got to work and walked right into fire. several "staffed" at 3 miles made it from 25-30 minutes then needed 20 minutes  to suit up and discuss safety then 20 more showed to stand around and burn fuel.+ naturally EVERY ambulance and cop for miles.

I had a 65 model ford cab over I picked up to wash out my cattle pot a few years ago. Apparently it drank oil like gas and didn’t last very long. Started knocking and sold it to scrap yard for 400 bucks more than I paid for it. I found a 70 model in better shape I’m using now. Both were cheap

3 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Drive it to the coffee shop in town, be the topic of conversation.

The town here is 30,000 and now has a hand full of hotels 3 or 4 floors because the wine tasting business. So they "needed" a truck like pictured. But only 3 fireman on duty at a time,just getting rid of the volunteers. So they drove the big truck all over town for anything. So yes they drove it to get coffee. It's not the new toy so they are back to 4 door cab over pumper truck. 

If that “followed” you home I’d hate to see your tow rig... 😊 

Interesting purchase. What sort of drivetrain does something like that have?  I assume it’s probably an auto?  Very cool hauler 👍🏼👍🏼

Can I borrow that next fall? The neighbor has this tall apple tree, and---uh---:rolleyes:

Mike

• Like 1

As far as drive line goes, Detroit series 60, Allison trans, rocker axels. I’m thinking on changing the pigs to get a little better top end. I’m thinking 65-70 tops. I may even have it turned up some to be able to pull the hills better. Definitely need to replace the seats from scba to standard. Some cosmetic repairs and lots of elbow grease to clean up the inside. Tires are in great shape. My daughter will want to change the wheels to polished aluminum. Knowing her boyfriend, he will come up with them cheep. As far as the ladder goes, it’s steel and will go to scrap as well as the super structure. The body is aluminum and some will get reused. It came with a generator which I’ll keep. Some of the fire fighting stuff will either go to the local fire departments or be sold. 

If you see it through it is going to be a one off awesome ride.   Good luck. I admire your ambition and vision!

EVERYONE NEEDS A FIRE TRUCK!!!!

just in the paper (24p/ 19 of them nonsense ads) several towns away

w/6K cidiots  1.8 sq mile  ,  built some 4-6 story bld, so need to replace a '71 model as it is worn out.too big for tree lined streets

$1.4m for the replacement 100',  they  have $138K in total budget ,cant get govt $$$ so going to sell "not usable" one to cover costs.

will take 3 years to build

Speaking of old fire trucks, my uncle is helping a friend turn a 1940's Seagrave aerial into a hot rod. He wants to put fuel injection on the V12 engine. I think it will be quite the piece when they get it done. 

15 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

EVERYONE NEEDS A FIRE TRUCK!!!!

NO, NO, NO! Everyone needs a TANK!

m1a2-abrams-battle-tank-02.jpg

That's so you can drive offensively! 

Rick

On 2/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, MTO said:

Good Lord!

Starting a barn painting business?

Never know, he may be a Peeping Tom.

• Haha 1

To early to pick apples 🍎,what on earth are you going to do with it ?