Truckers , whats the stuff that goes in air brakes

560Dennis

There’s  a fluid ,I think you pour into air brakes on big rigs to eliminate freeze up ? 

It’s basically alcohol to absorb the water. Air line antifreeze is what it’s usually called. Problems arise when the system is open ( like the trailer being unhooked ) and moisture gets in through the gladhands. 

IIRC it is methanol, its been a while. We had some city tractors that had a canister sort of like a paint gun cup you could put in in and not have to mess trying to get it in through the glad hands. I'm talking seventies and eighties here. Sure it's a lot different now.

• Like 2

I have seen warnings on trailers not to use air line antifreeze becasue of the ABS on them now. If the air dryer is doing its job there shouldnt be a problem. Im not a very experienced truck mechanic but did get an education on the air dryer on our freightliner. It has a heater that has to have 12 volts and there is a filter in it that needs changed periodically. Apparently the previous owner in oklahoma never had issues.

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

It’s basically alcohol to absorb the water. Air line antifreeze is what it’s usually called. Problems arise when the system is open ( like the trailer being unhooked ) and moisture gets in through the gladhands. 

Oh-hhh Kay-yyyy, time for school for this rum dum. I’m not a BTO trucker. What pray tell is “glad hands”? Some sort of trucker jargon talk I’ve never heard of. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Oh-hhh Kay-yyyy, time for school for this rum dum. I’m not a BTO trucker. What pray tell is “glad hands”? Some sort of trucker jargon talk I’ve never heard of. 

Glad hands are the twist connect hose ends to hook up the trailer brakes

4 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Connection for the air lines to the trailer

3 minutes ago, bitty said:

Glad hands are the twist connect hose ends to hook up the trailer brakes

Oh for crype sakes. Ok I can picture exactly what you’re talking about. I just never heard of them nicknamed as glad hands before. I would always just look upon them as air line connections. Lol. Like I said I’m not around the trucking inner circle. I’m sure  there’s dozens of other trucker’s slang terms I’m not familiar with. Thanks guys! School dismissed. .....for now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Oh for crype sakes. Ok I can picture exactly what you’re talking about. I just never heard of them nicknamed as glad hands before. I would always just look upon them as air line connections. Lol. Like I said I’m not around the trucking inner circle. I’m sure  there’s dozens of other trucker’s slang terms I’m not familiar with. Thanks guys! School dismissed. .....for now. 

Not slang they acutely called glad hands Screenshot_20200215-184209_Google.thumb.jpg.221aea7e8651e15088684cdf339005af.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are glad hands on the railroad. I know the millions of times I hooked them up, my hands were glad. Pretty slick connection.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

Glad hands is the proper name although I have heard them called handshakes.

• Like 1

My air hoses in my old shop, unheated and small snow drifts in high wind, would freeze so I put a gallon in the tank in late fall. 1st time I wondered if it would cause problems for air tools, lines , etc. Been doing it 20+ yrs and can't say there is a downside yet. Seems to keep hoses from iceing.

Wasn't there something called an alcohol evaporator that let a little siphon in at a time? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bitty said:

Wasn't there something called an alcohol evaporator that let a little siphon in at a time? 

That's right, I bought one of them a few years ago for a front end loader, made by Bendix.

DWF

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DWF said:

That's right, I bought one of them a few years ago for a front end loader, made by Bendix.

DWF

We need some. Our few old Mack trucks are used infrequently, not draining consistently even though the kid who mainly runs it has been explained the moisture problem. Only one that has a drier is the cattle truck

2 hours ago, Rick G. said:

We should start a trucker jargon thread, that could be fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1