Sign in to follow this  
Dasnake

Daytona

With all the hands on wrenching knowledge here theres got to be some fans, watching xfinity right now, baseball right around the corner.

I quit watching NASCAR when they took the sport out of it and turned it into a multi-million dollar commercial business. The top tier of drag racing is no different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If they went back to racing for a championship not the last few races, it would be a lot better 

22 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I quit watching NASCAR when they took the sport out of it and turned it into a multi-million dollar commercial business. The top tier of drag racing is no different.

That's true, and my feel is all sports has gone that route because of drawing in a television/media crowd and trying to appease an audience that doesn't follow a sport because of the sport itself, but I've followed racing and baseball since I was a kid, I watch to enjoy the feel in both sports, I put the big buck stuff on a back burner, that is what I can do.

• Like 1

Can’t wait to see electric cars racing around a track....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Wi Ih said:

If they went back to racing for a championship not the last few races, it would be a lot better 

Your point draws on dads statement, and in some ways the old format could be interesting, but the system now keeps the fans interested right up to homestead, the runaway in '03 for kenseth while only winning one race brought the chase format in '04 and the elimination rounds in '14, one thing I feel is ya gotta move ahead in these times when it seems everyone's world is in a 3x4 box in the palm of their hand. No rant here, I still like carburetors, but look how easy life is with fuel injection, haha.

40 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Your point draws on dads statement, and in some ways the old format could be interesting, but the system now keeps the fans interested right up to homestead, the runaway in '03 for kenseth while only winning one race brought the chase format in '04 and the elimination rounds in '14, one thing I feel is ya gotta move ahead in these times when it seems everyone's world is in a 3x4 box in the palm of their hand. No rant here, I still like carburetors, but look how easy life is with fuel injection, haha.

Good points Snake

I'll be watching

Won't see any kneelers in this sport

• Like 6

Haven't watched for years now.....................Tired of the ball baby drivers and the pit crew that doesn't know jack about cars but change tires because they are fast.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I may tune in for the last lap or two.

But I've pretty much give up on Sports.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

No pit stops for fuel!

• Like 1

Quit watching when Harry Gant retired.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1480man said:

I’m waiting for the Indycar season to start.

X2

• Like 1

IndyCar for me to.  I haven't paid attention to NASCAR in a decade.

• Like 1

Only races I watch is one with Lightning McQueen 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

what kind of speed limiters would they put on an electric car?  a VW Electric smashed the Pikes Peak hill climb record in 2018, not sure how they'd compete on a flat track

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/07/watch-vw-ev-pikes-peak-record-setting-run/

Limit fuse size to 30 amp     :lol:

• Haha 2

In the words of Bubba J, look, he's making a left turn, he's making another left turn.

• Haha 1

NASCAR died when they started putting restrict or plates and what motor you can run it’s not racing then 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jass1660 said:

There is a "Formula E" racing class running in Europe,  I've watched a couple races. Cars look just like F-1 cars,  but are battery powered.  Races are shorter than the F-1 races, and the electric cars compete in two heat's. No recharging the batteries,  they exchange cars between heats.  Most of the drivers are the lower ranked drivers from F-1 or F-2 drivers.

Would be easy for NASCAR to implement battery powered cars with the heat race system they run now.  But it would be fairly boring to watch.

I think I'll watch the start----------should be quite a fly-by show, with the "Big Boss" there!!!!!!!

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IHandJDman said:

IndyCar for me to.  I haven't paid attention to NASCAR in a decade.

I watched all but a couple Indy car races last year.  It's good racing. Lot of former Formula 1 drivers in Indy car now.

Back in the 50's Tim Flock had a monkey riding in the car with him. Now that's entertainment!!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Back when I was a kid dad would have the 500 on but he was never really into it.   In 94-95 my favorite car was the yellow 4 Kodak car; man was it fast.  Then my uncle got me into watching heavily in 96 and the man in black became my favorite driver.   I can still remember the 98 500 as an 8th grader.    I did it all; newspaper clippings of races, listened to them on the radio when I couldn’t watch them, etc.  After that day in 2001 my driver became Dale Jr. and the poor guy never could live up to what society wanted him to be, which I was fine with- you need to be your own man.   I remember my first trip on race weekend to MIS and stepping out onto that track surface in 01 as an employee.  Really sure working there was my future.  Living 20 miles from the speedway on restarts if the wind was right I could hear it from my front yard.  I went twice a year starting in 04. 

Then they came out with the chase nonsense.   Non consistent start times.   Start times of 2:30 pm so sit around all day and wait for it to start and not get home till 8 PM and work is the next day.   Rule changes weekly to “fit entertainment ratings.”   For me they alienated themselves from what started the sport and the fans that built it into what it is.   The final nail in the coffin was my driver retired the same year my daughter was born so I couldn’t justify spending $$$ to go to two races a year to watch other people have fun. I’d rather be making my own fun going to tractor shows, camping, vacations etc.   

So if it’s on and I’ve got nothing better to do I may watch here and there for nostalgias sake but I won’t go out of my way to spend any great deal of time watching or getting into the politics of it anymore.   Life moves on I guess. 

• Like 1

What time  does it start today ? What network ?