Sign in to follow this  
gras

TD-6 cracked head & rear seal advice needed

So I need some advice from someone with way more experienced then me.  I have an I/H TD-6 that has a cracked head.  I found a place that will furnace weld it here in Minnesota. They said it would run around $1,250 to get it ready to drop back on.   I also discovered that the rear crank seal is leaking.  So my question is this.  How hard is it to remove and reinstall the head on these things?  I have experience with smaller two stroke engines but have yet to attack something like this.  I do have all the original books so I'm good there.  Removing things is easy as you all know.  It's putting them back together. 

I imagine I need to pull the engine in order to replace the rear crank seals.  How much of a pain is this?  I have read through the repair books so I know what I'm getting myself into.  I just need some feedback of what you guys think.  How long does it usually take to remove the engine and put it back in.  Are there any special tools I need for the rear seal?  It doesn't look like it according to the books but I thought I'd ask.  Thanks in advance and I look forward to your advice.

Greatt that u asked

I finally got a chance to pull the td6 head, didn't clearly see anyy cracks in it though.

And

the gasket was not seated well at all at that time. It used to come off way to easily. But anyways we are gonna have the head checked, found one little hole that I don't think was factory at one of the water jacket holes.

i just looked up google and ended up at the website reliable-store for online manuals.. it was rally really easy to find this problem discussed there and solve it quickly 

have u tried youtube too? i didn't compare but i suggest u can visit youtube first and then get manual when need is felt

chilton is way too expensive so i cared not to mention

I haven't had a chance to search youtube to see if anyone has uploaded a video on pulling the engine.  I will take a look this week.  I was hoping someone would chime in here and give me their advice.  Maybe someone yet will.  

Gras, get this manual, it has all the info you need for pulling the engine, cooling system, electrical, engine clutch, steering clutches, brakes etc, this book covers it all, they come up on Ebay once in a while.

IH TD6 chassis service manual.jpg