Sign in to follow this  
Dasnake

John Deere

I was watching a show the other night and they were looking at 2 JD tractors, one was a 36, the second was a 37 model B with wire wheels, sold for 1700.00, why would a tractor have wire wheels? And the front two wheels why is there such radical camber on them? Now be gentle as I’m a city boy.

• Like 1

Not wire but spoke wheels. The wheels are cambered in to make the footprint small for row crops.

• Like 1

lighter weight, leftovers from the steel wheel days and welded a ring on for rubber so not to waste what was left over, the style at the time/cosmetics, they offered pressed steel and cast later 

• Like 1

Later narrow front JDs had roll-a-matic front wheels. The wheels were geared together to allow each wheel to step over a rock while keeping the average height the same - the tractor stayed more or less level. It gave a better ride as well.

• Like 2

This F30 has factory round spoke wheels. Flat spoke were available back then also . 

IMG_20200213_193917499.jpg

IMG_20200213_193925361.jpg

• Like 2

I have a 1937 BN with round spoked wheels and to some people (not me) they are worth more then the rest of the tractor.  

• Like 1

Thanks all, the camber question always intrigued me, now I know.

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Thanks all, the camber question always intrigued me, now I know.

Look better too😉

• Like 1

As far as the 'rolomatic' goes, the inventor offered it to IH first, but when they turned him down, Deere didn't.......

One of those, "seemed like a good idea", deals.

Mike

• Like 1

You'll see flat spoke rears that were originally all steel wheels. They would get cut off and a rim for a rubber tire welded on - known as cutoffs.

• Like 1

Good morning DASNAKE!! Just read thru your thread and cant help writing back simply to say its AWESOME you as a "city boy" are interested in the what and why of tractors. Don't know your age but my children get every useful nugget of farm equipment knowledge I can show and or explain to them!! Glad to have you on the board and fire off any question you have!! We will gladly answer, made my day knowing we have one more person interested in agriculture!!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, New Englander said:

You'll see flat spoke rears that were originally all steel wheels. They would get cut off and a rim for a rubber tire welded on - known as cutoffs.

This happened with round spokes also, at least on the Deere's. A friend of mine 30 years ago when he was restoring some tractors repaired some rims that were rotted out and he's a good-enough welder that you couldn't tell they weren't factory round spokes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mikem said:

As far as the 'rolomatic' goes, the inventor offered it to IH first, but when they turned him down, Deere didn't.......

One of those, "seemed like a good idea", deals.

Mike

First several times I ran R-O-M Deere tractors I was not impressed at all,  then one day plowing for the BTO with his NFE R-O-M 4020 I had to pull out of the furrow several times to clear a plug of corn stalks, and could not believe how nicely that R-O-M stepped thru the furrow getting back into the land, steering wheel did not move at all.  Even with power steering tractors like our SM-TA with Char-Lynn ps and 450 with Behlin ps, the frt wheels jerked around.

I always thought an air shock inside the lower pedestal would would have greatly improved the ride on NFE tractors.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I have a 1937 BN with round spoked wheels and to some people (not me) they are worth more then the rest of the tractor.  

Years back I sold a pair of rear round spokes for a unstyled B for $1600 at King's sale at Columbia City Indiana.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, New Englander said:

Yup, concur, dad did that to our 37 F-20 when we converted to rubber after the war.

best, randy

• Like 1

Most things back then were spoked wheels.   Plows, hay rakes, Beet  cultivators, etc.   

no shame in asking we all we all have to learn somehow. 

• Like 1

The guy who invented the roll o matic front axle lived right down the road here about 25 miles in Boyd, Mn area.  I saw his set up on a IH I want to say  B Farmall at the county fair here a few years ago.  Gave the history of how he offered it to IH and they were not interested. He invented a lot of different things, including a corn silage field harvester if I am remembering correctly.  There is a film out on a lot of his inventions.   His last name was Ronning.  

21 hours ago, bitty said:

This F30 has factory round spoke wheels. Flat spoke were available back then also . 

IMG_20200213_193917499.jpg

IMG_20200213_193925361.jpg

these round spoke wheels are called French and hecht wheels. this company made round spoke wheels for almost every  if it has flat spokes then that is just cut down steel wheels converted to rubber tires.tractor and combine and farm implements out there at the time.

for every tractor combine and farm implements out there at the time. don't know what happened it did not put all my info in.?

8 hours ago, bailey6588 said:

Good morning DASNAKE!! Just read thru your thread and cant help writing back simply to say its AWESOME you as a "city boy" are interested in the what and why of tractors. Don't know your age but my children get every useful nugget of farm equipment knowledge I can show and or explain to them!! Glad to have you on the board and fire off any question you have!! We will gladly answer, made my day knowing we have one more person interested in agriculture!!

Hello bailey, thanks for note, city boy ya, but always been out and about, camping, fishing et al, and had friends in the farming and ranching community, I'm 73 and sometimes I don't ask questions until something piques my memory, take care.

JD did have factory flat spoke with tire wheels . Friends dad has one with them. I believe that they have had some tractors to Iowa for the JD show in the early '90s 

Screenshot_2020-02-14-19-41-43.png

Don't you cuss on this here radio! Sorry, that is the first thing I thought when I read the title. 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

JD did have factory flat spoke with tire wheels . Friends dad has one with them. I believe that they have had some tractors to Iowa for the JD show in the early '90s 

I don't know what model your friends dad's tractor is but factory flat spoke rubber tires didn't become available until the styled series.  And they were the replacement tire/rim for the unstyled series which is why some people will claim their unstyled A or B has factory flat spoke tires when in fact they didn't.  

3 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I don't know what model your friends dad's tractor is but factory flat spoke rubber tires didn't become available until the styled series.  And they were the replacement tire/rim for the unstyled series which is why some people will claim their unstyled A or B has factory flat spoke tires when in fact they didn't.  

According to this it was a styled '39 JD B . If this is correct styled ones came out in '38 Screenshot_2020-02-14-20-56-06.thumb.png.2bf4d5c873d3182190c24b81ce67eb3d.png

They have a Lindelman(sp) crawler or two I believe. All their stuff was expo quality. Mike is a talented welder among other things